Which tyre for w166 - looking for something comfortable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jabrielraja

Car
C class
I need to replace 2 rear tyres on my 2012 ML (W166). Fronts will be changed at a later date, most likely next year as there is still plenty of life in them.

Currently I've got Continental Sport Contact 2 - 265 40 21 all around. I do about 20-25k miles each year. At least 90% of those are on the motorway.

I want to change to something more comfortable. Something with better fuel economy would be a bonus but comfort is the main thing. What tyre would you recommend? If something with a bigger sidewall, what tyre sizes?

I was going to change to smaller wheels but don't have the budget for that at the moment. Might do that next year rather than just change the front tyres to match the rears.

Tyres are about to go so ideally I need to change tyres in the next couple of days. Any feedback and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fitted Dunlop SP Sport 9000 last year and really pleased with them.

Quiet, comfortable, grippy and appear to be lasting despite all my best efforts.

Highly recommended.

My 06 GL420 is on continental uhp cross contact 275/50/20 and they seem to do well on what is quite a big old bus! Changed from Dunlop sport max which felt a bit harsher but sharper in the corners.

I had conti's on mine, and personally I didn't rate them at all. I found them very noisy but they did grip well. Needed all 4 replacing on our ML earlier this year, and ended up putting on Accelra Iota ST68 (IIRC), this was at the advice of the tyre place. This was based on the type of driving and performance of the car.
At approx £100 a corner, I thought they were worth trying. They have been on for a few months, and so far they have I have no complaints, I would definitely recommend them.

(Awaits incoming........)

Accelra are a budget brand (made in Indonesia, I understand).
In my experience, budget brand tyres wear rate is low but the grip in the wet is poor. The rubber is very hard which causes both situations.
I had budget brand on the rear of my C Class when I bought it. I couldn't wait to get them off. I thought I could hold on until they wore out but the buggers didn't seem to wear and after about 10,000 miles I replaced them.
Grip in wet was very poor, cornering in any sort of slippery conditions was challenging -- and I am just talking about normal driving.

I have Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on my E Class Estate -- excellent tyre all round -- quiet, comfortable, good grip in wet and dry, gets good fuel economy figures, etc.

I recently replaced the aforementioned budget tyres on my C Class with Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres -- very good so far, grip levels are excellent, reasonably priced. The tread pattern looks good too.

On the basis that your tyres are keeping you on the road, I suggest that you might look beyond the initial purchase price considerations.

Thanks for feedback everyone. Ended up buying used 19" wheels from ebay with roughly 5mm tread remaining. Will be back in the mark when these tyres need replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom