• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Who says a BMW 5 Series Handles better?

wbartram

Car
E Class 4matic
Hi Mercedes Team

I was considering getting a 5 series based on the reviews of the E-Class not being a driver's car.

In the end, I purchased a 4 Matic - E Class, watch this video of the car climbing to 1800m in the Swiss Alps!

365 bends all handled with Dynamic select on sport + mode.

What a ride.

365 Curves!

The top 76 form the Arosa classic car race!

Enjoy and don't let any BMW owners tell you that an E class won't handle.

Best

William

Hi Mercedes Team

I was considering getting a 5 series based on the reviews of the E-Class not being a driver's car.

In the end, I purchased a 4 Matic - E Class, watch this video of the car climbing to 1800m in the Swiss Alps!

365 bends all handled with Dynamic select on sport + mode.

What a ride.

365 Curves!

The top 76 form the Arosa classic car race!

Enjoy and don't let any BMW owners tell you that an E class won't handle.

Best

William
No use without a comparison (same road, same time etc) against a BMW. ;) ;)

I've done that journey many times by train, which is impressive enough, but driving it adds another dimension.
It's a stunning part of the world.
Thanks for sharing your video.👍

Nice video.....but I shows nothing about how it handles or whether it's worse or better than the M5.....it's such a tight road that you probably could not go very fast in anything.

I've done that journey many times by train, which is impressive enough, but driving it adds another dimension.
Thanks for your message - yes I was heading up there the other day, and thought it might be a good idea to stick the GoPro to the window. It's an amazing drive - might try and do a better job with the filming if I go again soon. Best William

TBH , not many parts on that road that you could 'push it' with any confidence.
Hi Yes, there are some short straights for a quick squirt - The last 76 curves are actually a race circuit and that's the best bit. Most curves are quite slow max 50 KPH - but the handling is very important as some tighten on the exit!

Nice video.....but I shows nothing about how it handles or whether it's worse or better than the M5.....it's such a tight road that you probably could not go very fast in anything.
I think an M5 might be in a different league! I was talking more about the standard cars.... Thanks William

Which train route is that? I've been fancying an alpine train trip, maybe en route to Italy.

First world problem based on brand snobbery

Both E-class and 5 series are great cars.

Before anyone piles in, I’ve owned an S-class and THAT is simply one of the world’s finest cars

E39 Vs W211.

I would personally say the E39 handles better and is more suited to a more sportier drive. Where the the W211 is more a cruiser. And brilliant at it. I'm not saying the E39 isn't a cruiser because it very much is. But I'm my opinion the E39 beats it in the handling department.

E60 Vs W212

Both are very similar in my experience with certain models. And both feel as sporty as eachother. Handle very similar also. Ride comfort all depends what size wheels are fitted to the car. Smaller wheels = more tyre wall= a softer ride.

On a ride/comfort aspect the w211 wins over an E39. Not much rides better than a W211, within that size vehicle/class.

Not had any experience of the later models on offer.

BMW's usually always handle better. Mercedes ride better. The handling difference between my W210 and W211 is remarkable with the W211 E320 CDI being a much better handing car than my W210 E55. It did it at the cost of ride though. I liked the waftyiness of my E55.
Anyone have personal experience of the w210 55 vs 211?

Been looking a F10 M5 and the W212 E63 5.5 recently....my 2 pence worth...

The M5 has a sharper turn in and a bit more ferocious in top end power (its a bit more powerful than a 5.5TT so that to be expected I guess)....midrange feeling similar to me...similar torque levels, similar kerb weights. Comfort wise I could not tell much in it.....but I've only had shortish test drives. The M5 is a bit over silenced for my tastes...but, if I go that way, that's an easy fix. The E63 5.5 sounds great....and every bit as addictive as the 6.2 sound....just different. Interior of the F10 feels a rather more modern than the E63.....which is surprising considering they were only launched a few months apart......but I don't dislike the 212 interior. I think the 212 E63 looks a little more special from the outside than the F10 M5.....but Id be happy with either on the drive TBH.

AMG Vs Mpower

Had the E39 M5, what a machine an amazingly good car for handling and engine. Is a Gem and one of the all time greats. Was a pleasure and honour to own one.

Had the W211 E55, this thing is a pure monster on a straight and hardly nothing beats it around its peak the for a 4 door saloon car. Lacks handling in my honest opinion, it's by no means a boat but it is much more docile that an E39 M5.

W212 6.2 is basically the E39 M5 with more power more torque and the same handling capabilities. It is a pure brute, and has that jekel and Hyde carracter. The noise it produces knocks the others into touch. Even the more modern models on offer.

Anyone have personal experience of the w210 55 vs 211?

Never owned a W211 E55, I do own an R230 SL55 and did own a W220 S55K which both use the same engine as the W211 E55. Performance wise, they have about 150hp on the W210 E55 so they're faster by an order of magnitude. The W211 E55 uses airmatic instead of ABC which should give it a magic carpet ride.

The E55 has always been considered as a German muscle car. If you want to go on a twisty road, you'll have a lot more fun doing 40mph in a Triumph TR6 or MGB.

Twisty road?
  • Caterham Super 7 (or 1 of the hundreds of models and derivatives), Ariel Atom.
  • Want some creature comforts and a roof that works? Lotus Elise.
  • Want more comfort and space? Lotus Evora or Porsche Cayman/Boxster GTS
  • Not worried about speed or power, but want attention? Morgan 3 (3 wheeler)
  • Want power and olde world looks? Morgan Plus 6/8

For completeness:
  • Want to cross continents (or the USA)? Mercedes CLS400D
  • Want to ferry the family around in a non-SUV? Mercedes E400D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom