• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

E350 Estate vs BMW 530d SETouring

Load Space

If the key criterion is boot space then just get the E Class. I got an A6 Avant last week and I could hardly believe how small the load space was, I actually thought for a second that the dealership had ordered me an A4 when the salesman opened the rear door to show me around. The car did it's first tip run at the beginning of the week and I could get very little in it.

I have 2 very obedient labradors who could do with more space (Alongside, Shotguns, Shells, Boots, Jackets, Hats, Camping Gear, Tents, cooking utensils, Sleeping bags), and that doesn't even touch my Fishing Gear!!!!:doh:

The a6 also comes now with a new 3.0 v6 "bi turbo" engine that is supposed to be pretty special, BMW have obviously had one for a while but with Audi's Quattro drive and a 3.0 v6 bi turbo, I think it's a pretty simple choice for me. They also put the new(ish) S4 3.0 v6 Supercharged Petrol in them that somehow returns Ford Fiesta economy figures..... Probably not in real life.

Audi's let down seems to be reliability, not scoring well in J D Power, but then BMW and Mercedes didn't do too well either. I've not been able to find out much online relative to Audi reliability. I suppose re J D Power, like forums, it attracts complaints rather than accolades. One big attraction for me of the A6 and A8 diesels is that they are EU6 compliant and probably/possibly will not attract the penalties planned for diesels. I'm guessing that Adblue engines also largely do away with potential DPF issues.

I've come to Mercedes after 14 years of Audi ownership. It wasn't my intention at the time to change marques and I actually had my eyes on an A6 S-Line 3.0TDI Quattro. The reason for the change...well my very first Audi which was a B6 A4 sport was unreliable. I took it as bad luck and then bought my B8 A4 S-Line....biggest mistake ever! Absolutely lovely looking car and fantastic to drive, but boy was it a 'massive' money pit. I spent another £1200 on it in January to repair other common issues, before I had enough and got rid of it. So why Mercedes? Because I'm not fussed on BMW's...they never seem to change their design, it's just one face lift after another imo.

While my car was in the garage I was given the A6 I wanted as a courtesy car, so I can give you a bit of a comparison, but only having it for two weeks and owning my E for one month its limited.

The Quattro system gives you reassurance, particularly cornering with the hammer down, whereas I've had a couple of squeaky bum moments in the Merc (this is my first rear wheel drive car) The performance, even in Economy mode is good fun in the E; The A6 isn't far off. I also think the tyres are rubbish on my car...Bridgestones.

The S-Tronic system is absolutely seemless, you can hardly tell it's changing gear, whereas the 7g can be a little lumpy on occasions but the vast majority of the time you wouldn't realise it's a single clutch system. I personally don't have any issues with it other than on occasions you can make a cup of tea between flicking the paddle and the gear actually engaging. Doesn't bother me though, I hardly use them. If you go onto www.audi-sport.net you will hear the horror story of someone with an A6 who payed £8,400 to rectify an issue with his S-Tronic box. He then had to fork out another £1,500 for an engine issue not long afterwards!

In relation to styling, I'm really happy with my E. It's taken a bit of time to get used to the Command system, but all in all its good. My only criticism are the parking sensors and the wheels. I don't like the silent parking system and the 'larger' 18 inch AMG wheels are too small imo, particularly when the A6 S-Line are equipped with 20 inch shoes as standard.

The ride is probably helped by the smaller wheels, although the handling isn't as good as my A4. You could drive over a pea in my A4 and would get the clunk clunk feeling, whereas the E just glides over things, but still has sufficient rigidity to keep you out of trouble. I wasn't expecting the E to be as good as my A4 anyway because of the difference in size, so again this doesn't bother me.

The E boot capacity is fantastic!

All in all I'm happy with my change and if the car is good to me during ownership, I could see me spending more time on this forum.

After slating Audi, I have to say the best car I've ever owned and still own is my wife's 18 year old V6 Audi cabriolet.

I had a C63 estate and one of my dislikes was the 7G 'box. Is it same on E class, no idea?

Anyway, I decided to go bigger and choose between E or 5 series. The latter won because of the 8 speed ZF and dare I say better handling and grip than the C63. I got a 535i Touring and the engine is stunning. I've been pretty quiet on this forum since my purchase but it's only because it's just so perfect to drive and live with.

Sorry, can't comment on loadspace, but it's not small.

Crazyfool said:
My only criticism are the parking sensors and the wheels. I don't like the silent parking system and the 'larger' 18 inch AMG wheels are too small imo, particularly when the A6 S-Line are equipped with 20 inch shoes as standard.

Audi S line had 18 inch wheels as standard. It's the black edition that comes with 20 inch as standard.

cunny678 said:
Audi S line had 18 inch wheels as standard. It's the black edition that comes with 20 inch as standard.

Really? My A4 came with 18's as standard...

I've come to Mercedes after 14 years of Audi ownership. It wasn't my intention at the time to change marques and I actually had my eyes on an A6 S-Line 3.0TDI Quattro. The reason for the change...well my very first Audi which was a B6 A4 sport was unreliable. I took it as bad luck and then bought my B8 A4 S-Line....biggest mistake ever! Absolutely lovely looking car and fantastic to drive, but boy was it a 'massive' money pit. I spent another £1200 on it in January to repair other common issues, before I had enough and got rid of it.

Thanks very much for that.

A couple of questions arise. What age and mileage were the Audis and were they dealer serviced "in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations"? As I am a low mileage driver I miss all the high mileage age related ailments that befall many cars. What were the common issues? How far down the line did you go re the A6 S Line you had your eyes on? Your responses would be much appreciated.

Many moons ago I had a very troublesome Audi 100 that ultimately I dared not set out on a long journey in and after I kicked up a big stink Audi UK sanctioned me a good deal on the then new A6 which replaced the 100. The A6 was totally trouble free for six years and did not even need consumables like, tyres and brake pads during that time. It was a first class car in every way, but of course in those days devoid of all the electronic bells and whistles that can be troublesome in modern cars.

I'm being very fussy because pushing 70, in recent years I've said that the car I'm buying may be my last and I'm wanting to buy a car that I am happy to keep if it becomes necessary.

In that regard I made a mistake buying the Mercedes which although it has many plus points, it has for me many overriding imperfections, though thankfully reliability has not been one of the latter.

In that regard I made a mistake buying the Mercedes which although it has many plus points, it has for me many overriding imperfections, though thankfully reliability has not been one of the latter.

The imperfections in the E-Class you talk about are 'What' exactly?

Many thanks

meeeb said:
Thanks very much for that. A couple of questions arise. What age and mileage were the Audis and were they dealer serviced "in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations"? As I am a low mileage driver I miss all the high mileage age related ailments that befall many cars. What were the common issues? How far down the line did you go re the A6 S Line you had your eyes on? Your responses would be much appreciated. Many moons ago I had a very troublesome Audi 100 that ultimately I dared not set out on a long journey in and after I kicked up a big stink Audi UK sanctioned me a good deal on the then new A6 which replaced the 100. The A6 was totally trouble free for six years and did not even need consumables like, tyres and brake pads during that time. It was a first class car in every way, but of course in those days devoid of all the electronic bells and whistles that can be troublesome in modern cars. I'm being very fussy because pushing 70, in recent years I've said that the car I'm buying may be my last and I'm wanting to buy a car that I am happy to keep if it becomes necessary. In that regard I made a mistake buying the Mercedes which although it has many plus points, it has for me many overriding imperfections, though thankfully reliability has not been one of the latter.

Both cars were bought from the main dealer, serviced by them and repaired; 6 and 2 months old. Both suffered various engine issues; my B8 had a water pump failure within 2 years, timing chain failure (which could have been a whole lot worse), various oil issue including the infamous http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/audi-oil-consumption-lawsuit.shtml and just to finish me off 3 new shock absorbers at 70k miles.

Audis are over complicated. They have sensors for everything and then they have sensors to monitor those sensors, so they can be an issue. We were in France on holiday and had stopped at various places until we eventually arrived in EuroDisney. It was about a 5.5 hour journey to our destination so I checked the car and topped everything up beforehand including the oil. We spent 2 days at the resort, then jumped in the car to return to the UK when the computer indicated it required 1ltr of oil. Very unusual because I had checked it a few days earlier, but I used the left over oil I was carrying and we got on our way. Half an hour into the drive the car then tells me it's got too much oil in it! Basically the oil level sensor switch was giving me inaccurate readings and what I hadn't appreciated was that my bonnet switch was also broken which acts as a computer reset function whenever you top up the oil. So I had to buy 2 new sensors just to resolve 1 problem.

After the whole oil consumption issue, I gave up looking for A6's and started looking at MB's. I had such a bad experience with Audi over the entire situation, I couldn't face going for another Audi.

Very often its not the problems a car give but the way a dealer/manufacturer deals with them that affects a persons views.

I had a lit of issues with my W203 but I have to admit my local dealer and MB HO were fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to come back to MB.

crockers said:
Very often its not the problems a car give but the way a dealer/manufacturer deals with them that affects a persons views. I had a lit of issues with my W203 but I have to admit my local dealer and MB HO were fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to come back to MB.

Reading Audi were amazing, but unfortunately the car didn't live up to its reputation and AUK were useless!

meeeb said:
...I'm being very fussy because pushing 70, in recent years I've said that the car I'm buying may be my last and I'm wanting to buy a car that I am happy to keep if it becomes necessary....

If that's the case, why bother boring yourself with a BMW, Merc or Audi and go for one of these!!!!!!

At least it's fun, yet part of the VAG family of cars

Attachments

• image-3663015827.jpg
    image-3663015827.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom