• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Why do taxis get to use bus lanes?

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Serious question: why do taxis get to use bus lanes?

I've just spent an hour trying to get across the Runcorn Bridge*. One of the two lanes on the approach road is a bus lane. Setting aside the efficacy of this (one bus used it the whole time I was sitting there), why are taxis allowed to use this lane?

Is a taxi driver's time more important than mine or anyone elses? If he has a passenger in the back (none did), is the passenger more important than mine? All I could see is that taxi drivers saved about 50 minutes waiting time by jumping the queue. They can only carry the same number of passengers as me (OK, maybe one more). I've lost an hour of my working day just as much as a taxi driver would have.

So, anyone know why local councils treat taxis and buses the same?

* I hate the Runcorn Bridge with a passion, due to problems like this. What caused the mayhem is that one car had broken down and closed one lane. Suddenly there's gridlock in two towns. I only had to drop a document off in Widnes and then straight back over, so I've had it twice :( The local councils' are trying to get funding for a second crossing to relieve some congestion, but the twonks in London don't think we really need one ... :mad:

Right, back to work ...

Flyer said:
Serious question: why do taxis get to use bus lanes?

I've just spent an hour trying to get across the Runcorn Bridge*. One of the two lanes on the approach road is a bus lane. Setting aside the efficacy of this (one bus used it the whole time I was sitting there), why are taxis allowed to use this lane?

Is a taxi driver's time more important than mine or anyone elses? If he has a passenger in the back (none did), is the passenger more important than mine? All I could see is that taxi drivers saved about 50 minutes waiting time by jumping the queue. They can only carry the same number of passengers as me (OK, maybe one more). I've lost an hour of my working day just as much as a taxi driver would have.

So, anyone know why local councils treat taxis and buses the same?

* I hate the Runcorn Bridge with a passion, due to problems like this. What caused the mayhem is that one car had broken down and closed one lane. Suddenly there's gridlock in two towns. I only had to drop a document off in Widnes and then straight back over, so I've had it twice :( The local councils' are trying to get funding for a second crossing to relieve some congestion, but the twonks in London don't think we really need one ... :mad:

Right, back to work ...
They're licensed as 'Hackney' carriages, same as buses.

I hate buses. Traffic in London flows so much better when the bus drivers go on strike.

Another thing that annoys me. Granted in the mornings I see buses mostly full (school children, poor pensioners and suchlike) but during the day I rarely see anyone on them at all, particuarly when I'm stuck behind one in Devon.

These empty buses then meander their way around the local B roads, holding up traffic and spewing out filth, all for what purpose????

Makes me wonder if they REALLY need a 'bus' service, most journies between 9:30 and 4:00 pm could be done in a 7 seater estate car or people carrier. At least that would be able to do more than 20mph up hills and not clog up the villages whilst turning around.

Okay, disengaging rant mode.

I wonder what it would cost to register my car as a private hire vehicle? Imagine the time you'd save using bus lanes :D

By chance I was discussing this with a taxi driver first thing Monday morning (Cambridge)

I don't believe the cost of registration is that great although (in general) the testing requirements are significantly higher/more stringent/more frequent than your MOT - this does vary by the issuing area though. In addition, just because you are a licensed taxi in one area does not give you 'free reign' to drive along taxi routes in other areas.

And be careful - the rules/regs as to who can drive in the lanes are set locally and not all bus lanes allow taxis (as i found to my cost, sitting in heavy traffic, in Oxford once).

TKB13 said:
They're licensed as 'Hackney' carriages, same as buses.
No, not the 'legal' reason. Why should they be allowed to use bus lanes, from a practical point of view, when they are just like you and me, taking up the same road space, transporting the same number of passengers.

In my area, all taxis have to be black (private/public hire), so forgetting about the lack of doors, don't think that's an option for me :D

The runcorn bridge is a joke. I used to crawl across the stupid thing in queue twice a day when working at The Heath a few years ago.

I feel your pain Flyer!

Isnt the idea to encourage people to use public transport?

i.e. use a taxi or a bus and you'll get through rush hour quicker?

janner said:
I wonder what it would cost to register my car as a private hire vehicle? Imagine the time you'd save using bus lanes :D
'Private Hire' vehicles of course are not licensed as 'Hackney' carriages, therefore, technically, not permitted to use bus lanes.
(Cyclists incidentally are also allowed to use these lanes, but I think most of us know that).

TKB13 said:
(Cyclists incidentally are also allowed to use these lanes, but I think most of us know that).

My C180 is about the same speed, so I think I should be allowed too...

Shude, I knew that would bring back some nightmares for you :D

frog1520 said:
Isnt the idea to encourage people to use public transport?

i.e. use a taxi or a bus and you'll get through rush hour quicker?
But a taxi isn't public transport. A taxi could be carrying just one passenger (or even none). It's a private vehicle, owned by a private company, employing drivers who, for some reason, have priority over other drivers.

But why?

I agree, Diesel taxis are heavy polluters so they should not use bus lanes...

Also I heard that you can register your vehicle as an ambulance which would allow you to use bus lanes. I think the requirements are that you carry first aid equipement, fire extinguisher etc etc....

Congestion is caused by too many cars, not too many buses and taxis. This morning on the way into work, there were six buses in the bus lane next to me, let's say 30 people on each, that's 180 people. Occupying the same road space were about 10 cars (a bit hard to see exactly). The cars that I could see were driver only. Embarrassing. (My plan had been, as I do often, to use the bus but I had to create space for the builders coming in.)
My view is that car ownership is a privilege, not a right. If we ourselevs are unable to manage our usage then it is only reasonable that society as a whole brings in limitations such as congestion charging, parking restrictions, speed limits and so on.

TKB13 said:
'Private Hire' vehicles of course are not licensed as 'Hackney' carriages, therefore, technically, not permitted to use bus lanes.
They all use them around here with no problem. In fact I saw a police car go after what looked like a small Fiat van in a bus lane. When they saw the private hire plate on the back they left it alone. Which got me thinking...
Also I heard that you can register your vehicle as an ambulance which would allow you to use bus lanes. I think the requirements are that you carry first aid equipement, fire extinguisher
Now you're talking.:D

BonzoDog said:
Congestion is caused by too many cars, not too many buses and taxis. QUOTE]

Whilst I agree with your comment, I often wonder if the traffic lights are controlled to cause traffic to keep away from town centres and let it in gradually or visa versa. Very often, when I drive into work, central Bristol, there are traffic queues to within 2-3 miles of the centre, then very little, or the next morning there is no traffic to within 2-3 miles and then chaos.

Flyer said:
Shude, I knew that would bring back some nightmares for you :D

But a taxi isn't public transport. A taxi could be carrying just one passenger (or even none). It's a private vehicle, owned by a private company, employing drivers who, for some reason, have priority over other drivers.

But why?

Well its transport that the public can use. Also you're not taking up a parking space when you arrive which are all too scarce in certain cities!

Geoff2 said:
Whilst I agree with your comment, I often wonder if the traffic lights are controlled to cause traffic to keep away from town centres and let it in gradually or visa versa. Very often, when I drive into work, central Bristol, there are traffic queues to within 2-3 miles of the centre, then very little, or the next morning there is no traffic to within 2-3 miles and then chaos.
Traffic lights are often centrally coordinated. Hells bells, have you never watched 'The Italian Job'?

well there is no alternative to cars here...Buses don't exist, they are replaced by tractors and sugar beet lorries...

In response to Geoff2, I can confirm that the traffic lights in central Bristol are centrally controlled, and they self-regulate according to traffic flows to try and make it as smooth a spossible. I have seen video-tape of the chaos that happens when they fail, there's no hidden agenda from the council trust me!

stever said:
...there's no hidden agenda from the council trust me!

That's what they want you to think!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom