• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Winter tyres

farmer7

Car
E220d W213
Hello, I had intended to fit Michelin Cross Climate 2's on my E220d as I had got on very well with them with my Golf, the only concern I have is the complete lack of rim protection.

My wife has kerbed a couple of wheels very slightly on the Golf and by her own admission she has concerns about driving a bigger car so I'm slightly worried about the unmarked alloys on the E220d!

The Pirelli's fitted appear to be at least 20mm wider than the rim of the wheel so appear to offer a good bit of protection but no winter performance. On my Golf the rim is actually 3-4mm wider than the tyre so has zero protection.

Is the above purely down to the tyre or is it wheel design? Or a combination? I know you can get tyres with rim protection but the michelin CC2 aren't offered with it.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is are the E220d AMG wheels going to be protected by the Michelins at all? Or will they be the same as the Golf with zero protection?

Thanks for any insight available!

I’m afraid I don’t have a definitive response, instead just able to relate my experience. I had Pirelli Cinturato All Seasons fitted a couple of years ago, leaving the front wheels grossly under protected. Within a year I had to get the front alloys repaired - my fault as well as my wife’s. A year later with even more care and the front near side is once again suffering with minor kerb rash.

Meanwhile, the rears remain untouched. All tyres were stated to be the correct sizes for the rims, but it was obvious from day one that the fronts were left horribly exposed.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there’s always the possibility of new tyres not offering the level of protection that the makers claim.

(BTW, the Pirellis are great performers in summer and winter.)

Cross climates are not winter tyres , they're all season.

Goodyear Vector 4 seasons G3 have rim protection and are very very good tyres for all conditions. I've just fitted 4 to my GLC 350. I'm well impressed with them. 👍

There are four primary aspects to run protection.

The first is by design, with a protective feature moulded into the side wall relatively close to where the tyre meets the wheel. It overhangs and therefore kisses the kerb before the wheel.

The second is simply a function of the width of the tyre relative to the width of the wheel. The wider the tyre (or narrower the wheel) the more the tyre overhangs the wheel, offering some protection.

The third is the sidewall height. Taller side walls tend to offer greater run protection because they typically have a bulbous profile. Lower profile tyres are super still and straighter in profile.

The fourth is the shape of the shoulder of the tyre - where the tread meets the side wall - and this will also influence the amount of protection however this is difficult to get any objective data for.

If you post the wheel and tyre sizes then someone with a similar set up can comment on the second and third point above. If you don't have the wheel dimensions handy then post a photo.

I’m afraid I don’t have a definitive response, instead just able to relate my experience. I had Pirelli Cinturato All Seasons fitted a couple of years ago, leaving the front wheels grossly under protected. Within a year I had to get the front alloys repaired - my fault as well as my wife’s. A year later with even more care and the front near side is once again suffering with minor kerb rash.

Meanwhile, the rears remain untouched. All tyres were stated to be the correct sizes for the rims, but it was obvious from day one that the fronts were left horribly exposed.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there’s always the possibility of new tyres not offering the level of protection that the makers claim.

(BTW, the Pirellis are great performers in summer and winter.)
Thanks that's useful to know, one to rule out perhaps despite being a good performer.

Cross climates are not winter tyres , they're all season.

Goodyear Vector 4 seasons G3 have rim protection and are very very good tyres for all conditions. I've just fitted 4 to my GLC 350. I'm well impressed with them. 👍
Yes, sorry wrong thread title! I chose them for my Golf to save swapping back and forth from summer/winter and was very impressed with their performance in snow. Shame they just don't look like they offer any protection.

I'll certainly have a look at the Goodyears mentioned. Thank you.
There are four primary aspects to run protection.

The first is by design, with a protective feature moulded into the side wall relatively close to where the tyre meets the wheel. It overhangs and therefore kisses the kerb before the wheel.

The second is simply a function of the width of the tyre relative to the width of the wheel. The wider the tyre (or narrower the wheel) the more the tyre overhangs the wheel, offering some protection.

The third is the sidewall height. Taller side walls tend to offer greater run protection because they typically have a bulbous profile. Lower profile tyres are super still and straighter in profile.

The fourth is the shape of the shoulder of the tyre - where the tread meets the side wall - and this will also influence the amount of protection however this is difficult to get any objective data for.

If you post the wheel and tyre sizes then someone with a similar set up can comment on the second and third point above. If you don't have the wheel dimensions handy then post a photo.
My car has 245/40 19 on the front and 275/35 19 on the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom