Wiper judder for a few minutes and little rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hello
When I bought my GLE in 2016 as a brand new car, wipers worked well and no judder. Then noted judder on start up of wipers especially when not pouring down. Judder stops when windscreen washers is sprayed onto screen but reappears within a few seconds. After about 10 mins in moderate to heavy rain the judder stops.
Cars done just over 16k miles, one driver, wipers never ran over frosty screen, etc.

I have washed wipers and screen many times over the years but no change. Wipers look like new and mot guy confirmed this.

We have a sports car and wipers make no noise/judder at all and nor on on jeep GC.

I do vaguely recall having similar problems on my two previous C class mercs but both were purchased at a few months old.

I've been reading threads on this and other forums for solutions but not sure what else to do as the noise drives me crazy.

thanks

Presumably you've changed the wipers since 2016 to OEM wipers or Bosch since UV can deteriorate the rubber.
I've found if I accidentally get wax or detailing fluid overspray onto the windscreen that can cause smearing and juddering, even after cleaning with pure alcohol, or Autoglym glass cleaner,

I followed a youtube view where they cleaned the wipers with WD40, I gave that a go, and it juddered initially on first few uses in the rain, but now silent.
Not sure if the WD40 worked or if the cleaning residues finally removed themselves.

Put Meguiar's rubber/plastic UV protection formula on a sponge and wipe the rubber soft if it's not to bad?
It will do some great wonders.
I have done this treatment on the same blade for years without replacing it.
It stays soft.

E car parts had great deal on Bosch
wipers ( flat blades ) for the sake of it I would have put a set on. As other person said you rubber is hard but may be too worn where the fine edge is worn off.

0000 wire wool can deep clean the screen as can barkeepers friend , clay bar . Then as above new blades should do it

If all else fail check the wiper arm 'angle of attack'. I had similar issues with my C class, no amount of cleaning or new blades worked. There is an official MB tool for this but a judicious tweak with a pair pliers can work.

I use a brilliant pad frequently on the windscreen of my e320. With it wet, I do circular motions all over the screen until I get a smooth feeling through the pad. The pads has jewellers polish in them so won't scratch the screen. It certainly gets all the grease off the screen and, stops my wiper blades from juddering.

Don't be so tight, fit new wiper blades ! :dk:

I’m on my second E class both purchased new and the wipers are a disgrace both squeaked and juddered across the screen.

My wife’s Aygo wipers sweep silently across the screen

It seems to be a trait on a good few Mercedes cars.

Robin

Hello
When I bought my GLE in 2016 as a brand new car, wipers worked well and no judder. Then noted judder on start up of wipers especially when not pouring down. Judder stops when windscreen washers is sprayed onto screen but reappears within a few seconds. After about 10 mins in moderate to heavy rain the judder stops.
Cars done just over 16k miles, one driver, wipers never ran over frosty screen, etc.

I have washed wipers and screen many times over the years but no change. Wipers look like new and mot guy confirmed this.

We have a sports car and wipers make no noise/judder at all and nor on on jeep GC.

I do vaguely recall having similar problems on my two previous C class mercs but both were purchased at a few months old.

I've been reading threads on this and other forums for solutions but not sure what else to do as the noise drives me crazy.

thanks
Been there with this problem both on a 2017 coupe now on a cab too !! did everything alcohol cleaning , wd40 , clay bar , everything you could imagine to get the screen clean .... changed wipers to OEM then bosch then halfords back to bosch problem still exists so its mercedes trait im afraid bloody annoying on a long journey or when its sheeting it down !! if you do find the answer to the problem you should sell it !!!!!!!!!!!

Hello

thanks
Are these the original wiper blades?

If so then the milage is irrelevant. Rubber degradation as well weakening of the metal structure will cause your symptoms.

Been there with this problem both on a 2017 coupe now on a cab too !! did everything alcohol cleaning , wd40 , clay bar , everything you could imagine to get the screen clean .... changed wipers to OEM then bosch then halfords back to bosch problem still exists so its mercedes trait im afraid bloody annoying on a long journey or when its sheeting it down !! if you do find the answer to the problem you should sell it !!!!!!!!!!!
As in post#6 try twisting the wiper arm to change the angle of the blade on the screen. It was the only way to stop the judder on my C class

i actually took mine to local MB they replaced arms under warranty ....yep you guessed it same problem even with new arms !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom