• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wireless charging tray for a 2010 E-Class

ChrisPDuck

Car
2006 W221 S600, 1983 VW T25/T3, 1984 Alfasud 1.5ti Green Cloverleaf, 2008 Chrysler 300C SRT Design
I was looking for a way to mount my phone with a wireless charging cradle. Having recently fitted a CarPlay adapter to the car I don't actually need the phone to be visible/accessible on the dashboard, so I figured the centre console cubby is a good place for it - only the plastic cubby lid over the top of it and with a good 'view' out of the sun roof and the windscreen, meaning that satellite reception for the satnav should be fine. I designed and 3D printed a tray to sit inside the centre console cubby, suspended in a 'mezzanine' fashion. The recess for the phone is sized to suit the dimensions of my iPhone inside a silicone rubber case, and the magnetic wireless puck is glued in with hot melt glue.

The space was a bit awkward to fit - the width of the cubby tapers from front to back, and the floor of the cubby slopes quite a lot. But the result is a nice snug fit, and it leaves the space underneath the tray for the usual centre console junk. The legs are located by pegs and superglued on - the joint doesn't have to be strong because the tray is wedged in place and can't move laterally.

I just need to find a way to fit a USB socket inside the cubby now. I have a 12V-to-twin-USB adapter, so I just need to find a convenient way to wire it in. I'm not keen on Scotchlocks, and I'd prefer to take a feed directly from a fuse box, e.g. with a piggy-back fuse. I was expecting to find a fuse box in one end or the other of the dashboard, but I only have one in the engine bay and one in the boot, and neither lends itself to conveniently running a cable to the central cubby. In the meantime I just plug the charging puck into an adapter in one of the cigarette sockets.

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

iPhone 13 tray E500.png

IMG_5026.jpg

USB adapter.jpg

The CarPlay kit is obviously wireless then?

Yes. It has an option for wired over USB, but it works well wirelessly - bluetooth for the original connection and then wifi thereafter.

That's a neat job 👍
Edit - re electrical connection. Maybe splice into the fag lighter wiring using a couple of Wago cage clamps?
th-99080980.jpg

Oh wait - were you asking because the wired connection could provide power for the charging puck? I didn't consider that this time - I made a similar tray for my W221 and I used the USB connection in the CarPlay adapter to power the charging puck, but I've found that the power output wasn't particularly high, and with the wireless losses it didn't even keep up with the phone's current draw when running Google maps and Spotify.

That's a neat job 👍
Edit - re electrical connection. Maybe splice into the fag lighter wiring using a couple of Wago cage clamps?
View attachment 160510
Yes, the two cigarette lighter sockets are both options, because they'll have a far higher current rating than is typically drawn by USB devices, which is all I ever use the sockets for. But I have an aversion to cutting the original wiring, even if using the excellent Wago connectors. Now if I could find the same plug (and a matching socket) that is used on the cigarette lighter socket, I'd be happy to make a y-connector to tap into that circuit. In the old days it was easy - the cigarette lighter sockets typically had spade connectors on the back, but things are a lot more sophisticated these days :-)

Idea!

Whilst I don't like cutting/splicing into original vehicle wiring, I'm less bothered about splicing into the wiring of things I've added. The CarPlay adapter uses a wiring harness to get its power from the COMAND head unit's supply. I'll check the various ratings, but maybe that supply can handle another amp or so to provide the 5V 3A output for those two USB sockets. That's an option if I give up looking for a direct feed from a fuse box.

So impressed with the stuff you do. Love the custom tray/charging puck

Bravo!

Yes, the two cigarette lighter sockets are both options, because they'll have a far higher current rating than is typically drawn by USB devices, which is all I ever use the sockets for. But I have an aversion to cutting the original wiring, even if using the excellent Wago connectors. Now if I could find the same plug (and a matching socket) that is used on the cigarette lighter socket, I'd be happy to make a y-connector to tap into that circuit. In the old days it was easy - the cigarette lighter sockets typically had spade connectors on the back, but things are a lot more sophisticated these days :-)
According to the EPC, you need one of these:
Genuine Mercedes-Benz Wiring Loom Harness Plug Connector A2205454028 4-Pin White | eBay

That's awesome work - thank you! Is this the plug that connects directly to the back of the cigarette lighter socket, or is it on the other end of those wires and buried behind the dash somewhere? Ideally I'd want the socket that it plugs into too, so that I can make a kind of 'breakout' y-cable.

That's awesome work - thank you! Is this the plug that connects directly to the back of the cigarette lighter socket, or is it on the other end of those wires and buried behind the dash somewhere? Ideally I'd want the socket that it plugs into too, so that I can make a kind of 'breakout' y-cable.
Here's the EPC page:
FG 212.059 - HOUSING WITH TRAY, ARMREST, AND ASHTRAY > Mercedes EPC Online > nemigaparts.com
That eBay item looks to be the plug on the wiring loom to the fag lighter and/or accessory outlet (the part numbers are the same)
The mating socket on the fag lighter looks like this
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/cigarette-li/0009063900/
If it were me, I'd be whipping mine out (ooh err...) just to be sure it's the same though.

Here's the EPC page:
FG 212.059 - HOUSING WITH TRAY, ARMREST, AND ASHTRAY > Mercedes EPC Online > nemigaparts.com
That eBay item looks to be the plug on the wiring loom to the fag lighter and/or accessory outlet (the part numbers are the same)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/cigarette-li/0009063900/
If it were me, I'd be whipping mine out (ooh err...) just to be sure it's the same though.
Cheeky I know, but of you have access to EPC, any chance of an exploded view diagram of NTG4.5 into a W204 (facelift) please? I need the part numbers for the retaining screws and rails. Many thanks

Cheeky I know, but of you have access to EPC, any chance of an exploded view diagram of NTG4.5 into a W204 (facelift) please? I need the part numbers for the retaining screws and rails. Many thanks
Not cheeky at all Gollom.
If you want hours of endless amusement, have a go at this:

Mercedes FG 204 > Mercedes EPC Online > nemigaparts.com

I'm not sure what bits you need exactly, but I guess they'd be in one of these 3 pages somewhere:

Not cheeky at all Gollom.
If you want hours of endless amusement, have a go at this:

Mercedes FG 204 > Mercedes EPC Online > nemigaparts.com

I'm not sure what bits you need exactly, but I guess they'd be in one of these 3 pages somewhere:

Many, many thanks.

This is one of the reasons why I love this forum!

Here's the EPC page:
Thank you again. Yes, that's exactly what I'll be doing later this afternoon.

Here's the EPC page:
The cigarette lighter socket does indeed seem to use that plug and socket, so my preferred way of tapping into that circuit will be to get another plug and socket and make a y-piece.

I haven't quite given up on running a dedicated supply from the fuse box though - I'll investigate possible routes, probably from the rear fuse box, tomorrow.IMG_5035.jpgIMG_5038.jpg

The cigarette lighter socket does indeed seem to use that plug and socket, so my preferred way of tapping into that circuit will be to get another plug and socket and make a y-piece.

I haven't quite given up on running a dedicated supply from the fuse box though - I'll investigate possible routes, probably from the rear fuse box, tomorrow.View attachment 160522View attachment 160523
I ran a cable for a dashcam from the rear fuse box on my S204; relatively easy and very few trim pieces to actually remove. I managed to hide most of it without taking much out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom