• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Would sir prefer orthopaedic grey or early-90s IBM beige for his £100k+ dream car?

philnewmerc

Car
CLS55
On a walk this morning and just wondering if this is the only country that appreciates these two hideously dull trendy colours? 🤔
So many expensive cars in the dullest of dull colours - do the owners actually choose them ? 🤒
No accounting for taste I suppose ! :)
I make no further comment
Enjoy
🔥

Grey on the inside is great...... this was mine....so much lighter and airier than the usual coal mine black!!

57d9a5c55aa12_1[1].jpg

But the horrible exterior grey that so popular on cars at the moment that's about the same colour as an unmade Airfix kit and makes it look like they only got as far as priming the car but didn't paint it....well that's nasty. This only gets worse is when they opt for the matt finish version of the Airfix colour....but colour is a personal thing....no right or wrong. Grey metallic gunmetal colours?....love those. Not really seen any cars that I would describe as a real beige colour.

Nasty...flat primer grey!

1719394408560.png

...lovely! Cars should be shiny!!

image1-17.jpg

Cost is understandable, but colours in the UK do seem more restricted.

Is it because of cars made for "stock" or "management" use?

And, yes, I know I've chosen Hyacinth here. Deliberately.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 13.14.53.png

But the horrible exterior grey that so popular on cars at the moment that's about the same colour as an unmade Airfix kit and makes it look like they only got as far as priming the car but didn't paint it....well that's nasty. This only gets worse is when they opt for the matt finish version of the Airfix colour....but colour is a personal thing....no right or wrong. Grey metallic gunmetal colours?....love those. Not really seen any cars that I would describe as a real beige colour.

Nasty...flat primer grey!
Primer grey, amusingly paired with a red oxide soft top to complete the 'in preparation' look :-)

1719408309626.png

Is silver anything more than a metallic grey but without the richness of colour that flat greys provide?

I don't mind mat grey, it's orthopaedic NHS plastic grey that does my head in. That and IBM plastic beige.

I think they'll be regarded as analogous to 70s brown and orange in the near future, with consequent issues for resale values.

I reckon you'd go for 'tobacco leaf' or 'sunset' if this was 1974 ;) :D
I wasn’t alive then so no clue.

What colour is your CLS?

I'm not a fan of cars with wrapped body work but I can understand why people do it, regardless of the marque. I enjoy seeing some uncommon colours on the road.

Silver can look very good on the right car. Post #13 in this thread: W211 E63 Wagon | Spotted on eBay!

(I can't copy the image over; it's too large. Why it wasn't then, I don't know...)

Plain grey? Meh.

Matte primer grey? Yuck; it looks as though they forgot to finish the job in the paint shop at the factory...

Most of the miserable grey and matt grey cars around are factory option paint.....not wrapped.

If primer was white, what would be said of white cars?
If primer was black, what would be said of black cars?
If primer was....
I doubt that many of the population are aware that primer is grey or that primer even exists.

With age comes taste...

Some of us have it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom