• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Would sir prefer orthopaedic grey or early-90s IBM beige for his £100k+ dream car?

The porker with the red roof is the same colour as the plastic handles on orthopaedic crutches... why is that a good look? 😂

Attachments

• sdrhgsrhjtdyjdrghsrthrth.jpg
    sdrhgsrhjtdyjdrghsrthrth.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
I wasn’t alive then so no clue.

What colour is your CLS?

I was tiny, but I remember these cars 10-20 year later were not popular due to the colours. But then again they're back in vogue now, and I like em :)

I just wonder if that will be the case with orthopaedic grey and IBM beige?

Attachments

• sdfhfghgnhgntdhndty.jpg
    sdfhfghgnhgntdhndty.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 9
With age comes taste...

Some of us have it already.
Oh I don’t know, these grey cars with red contrasts look relatively tasteful to these old eyes

300slr01.jpg

mb_190sl_grau_rot_-1201-_-ffp-w1260.jpg

1719509850478.jpeg

Even these more modern cars - one of which is a grey 992 with red roof - look pretty good to me. That said, to put it mildly, I do have very questionable taste - have you seen the way I dress and the company I keep in online forums? 😀

1719510130150.jpeg

But those last few are shiny grey metallic so do indeed look great..... its the solid Airfix non metallic light greys and mat greys that look gash....at least to some of us. I don't think many mind a proper silver or gunmetal car.

Oh I don’t know, these grey cars with red contrasts look relatively tasteful to these old eyes

300slr01.jpg

mb_190sl_grau_rot_-1201-_-ffp-w1260.jpg

View attachment 158502
Relatively, but the more grey and less silver, the more meh... One thing I'll give you, though; silvery-grey doesn't show the dirt.

The rest of the crutch is aluminium. Why is that a good look (on cars)?
Because silver aluminium is cool. Alloy wheels, motorbike frames, aeroplanes, whereas grey plastic in that orthopaedic hue; not so much... I don't make the rules 😅

I’ve never really understood the point of threads like these? Can you please enlighten me?

People will like different specs/aesthetics… what you might think is horrific, others will think looks great.

People will like different specs/aesthetics… what you might think is horrific, others will think looks great.

That is exactly the point of threads like these; anyone can give an opinion, and they're all correct. *

* Some, however, are more correct than others... ;)

(for a given value of correct...).

For those wondering what is the point of threads like this?

It's to educate the aesthetically challenged of course. I do hope no offense is taken by that 😇. I'm sure we can all agree, after this thread debate, that orthopaedic-crutch-handle-grey and sunlight-yellowed-mid-90s-IBM-PC-beige are - though not technically illegal - causing a great distress to people with taste 🤨. This can't go on 🙏 , just as 'tobacco leaf'* and 'sand glow' could not.

*Hmmm, quite fancy a tobacco leaf P6 now 🤔☺️🤦‍♂️

Because silver aluminium is cool. Alloy wheels, motorbike frames, aeroplanes, whereas grey plastic in that orthopaedic hue; not so much... I don't make the rules 😅
What rules?

For those wondering what is the point of threads like this?

It's to educate the aesthetically challenged of course.
Maybe you need that education. What's been on my mind given I'm one of the few who appreciates grey cars is that on account of painting (oil, acrylic, etc) I have a keen eye for colour and how colours are formed from others. The richness of greys (they are mixed from all the colours) maybe isn't obvious to those who haven't engaged with colour mixing. Educate thyself before attempting to educate others?

Maybe you need that education. What's been on my mind given I'm one of the few who appreciates grey cars is that on account of painting (oil, acrylic, etc) I have a keen eye for colour and how colours are formed from others. The richness of greys (they are mixed from all the colours) maybe isn't obvious to those who haven't engaged with colour mixing. Educate thyself before attempting to educate others?

I know nothing about mixing but it is strangely satisfying to achieve a deep, shiny flawless primer layer. I love a bit of 2000 grit wet n dry on primer. May defeat the whole point of primer but I like it 😁

😁

So, hypothetical question: your trendy but short-shelf-life 'colour' choices for your next £150k car are: grey dead face, grey tarmac, grey overcast day, that grey colour of jacket old people wear from BHS, grey flannel trousers, or grey NHS crutch handle?

What you going for?

😁

So, hypothetical question: your trendy but short-shelf-life 'colour' choices
Back in 2018 Charles Morgan had his W114 painted in Arab Grey. That was six years ago and the 'trend' for grey for new cars has just started while the trend for white is only diminishing now a decade plus later. What then. is a ''short shelf-life colour''?
for your next £150k car are: grey dead face, grey tarmac, grey overcast day, that grey colour of jacket old people wear from BHS, grey flannel trousers, or grey NHS crutch handle?

What you going for?
None of those. But there are greys (on Volvos to name but one) that are lush, rich with colours. If I look at say, a red car I see a red car - and nothing more. When I look at a grey such as Volvo's I see the effect of red - and a host of other colours all in the one hue. Grey - it's so much more than mere black and white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom