• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

You've got to laugh

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Just swapped some messages with my wealthy mate in Thailand about him coming to London for a meet up before Christmas and I happened to mention his car.

He keeps a '17 plate 911 Carrera 4s, that he bought from new, garaged in town. What made me laugh was in the 6 years he's had it he's managed a whopping 600 miles. Just crazy.

More money than bloody sense.... though that said, during COVID he bought some of his local pubs on the Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok so they would still be there when the pandemic was over.... So he's not altogether frivolous with his money 😁.

I just found it amusing how the 1% club can live.

Mate of mine has a £47K shotgun , the stock split a year out of the warranty period . The new one is being made soon ....£20K . In the meantime he uses a 'regular' gun on the clays .

His misses about the same clays with either gun . He drives a regular Ford 4x4 and other than the odd nice watch he is not flash at all , although I do remember calling him and asking which pub were goint to meet in to watch a very important England rugby match only for him to say he was at the game , he managed to 'aquire' some unobtaium tickets for a box at the last minute !.

Not a 1% , but well off enough not to have to worry too much . Self made man , fair play to him.

Purdey or Holland and Holland.....that are about the only shotguns I know of that sort of value...My dads boss has a matched pair of H & H (I think they were around 45k back in the 70s!!) he uses on shoot days on the farm....with one of the staff acting as his loader of course!!....then one day one of the solid gold inlayed partridges fell out during a shoot........he paid for the local metal detector club to come and find it.....which they did!!! How the other half live!!

Purdey or Holland and Holland.....that are about the only shotguns I know of that sort of value...My dads boss has a matched pair of H & H (I think they were around 45k back in the 70s!!) he uses on shoot days on the farm....with one of the staff acting as his loader of course!!....then one day one of the solid gold inlayed partridges fell out during a shoot........he paid for the local metal detector club to come and find it.....which they did!!! How the other half live!!
I'm 15 years out of the game but then (2008) I think a matched pair were about £250k. Funny you should mention firearms though; he then video called me to have a chat with a Italian chap from Beretta he was doing some business with.

After the call the messaging continued. £150k for a parking space, for the £135k car, to do 600 miles. I need the face slap emoji. In fairness he was taking the Michael out of himself. I think he confesses this sort of stuff to me to assuage his guilt 🤣.

He's never flash back home in BKK but his only son is getting married next year so he has admitted it will look at bit like the movie "crazy rich Asians".... He's asked if we can come for a few weeks and stop with him (that should be a hardship I'm sure 🤣)

I think he forgets that most people have a 9-5 to work - he's not even able to say what month yet. That said, booking venues will not be a problem as he owns numerous hotel buildings that the major hotel chains lease off him. The 1% club; definitely more interesting than a show hosted Lee Mack.

Update on my mates frivolousness/stupidity.

He has flown into London yesterday and his car battery is dead (this happened during COVID as well when he could not come over).

Car also needs an MOT and taxing so it's going on a low loader today for the MOT and then he wants to tax it but he cannot find the V5C so that will take some days.:wallbash:

He has finally admitted he will probably sell it.

As an aside would anyone know the value of a 17 plate 911 Carrera 4s s-a with 600 miles?

Update on my mates frivolousness/stupidity.

He has flown into London yesterday and his car battery is dead (this happened during COVID as well when he could not come over).

Car also needs an MOT and taxing so it's going on a low loader today for the MOT and then he wants to tax it but he cannot find the V5C so that will take some days.:wallbash:

He has finally admitted he will probably sell it.

As an aside would anyone know the value of a 17 plate 911 Carrera 4s s-a with 600 miles?

Yes, it's £10K ... I can pay now by bank transfer. 😁

Lowest mileage one for sale on AT presently @ £75k so selling it to Porsche will be around Swotty`s £10k price but as i am feeling generous ATM i am prepared to offer £11k and can pick it up on Saturday as we will be arriving in Kensington around mid-day and dont mind driving home on Wednesday providing your mate can drop it off with a full tank of juice , if he doesn`t want to pay the ULEZ it can be left at the daughters in Streatham.

Cheers - K

600 miles in 6 years? A Ferrari owner would be proud.

Yes, it's £10K ... I can pay now by bank transfer. 😁
Nonsense! A crisp £5, half a Mars bar, and packet of Quavers! I can send them tomorrow, after I get some Quavers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom