£1000-£1550 early diesel W202`s - False economy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210 Fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S500L W208 430
Girlie should be getting a christmas bonus soon and she wants to change her car, the early W202 250TD for example in a low spec has fallen into her price bracket, is this what the car is worth or are these a money pit, I know some members swear by their trusty old 202, are they this good? what is the 2.2 diesel like? does it sound like a tractor?

Can't comment on the diesel but I've had 2 w202's and they were both fantastic cars, looking at the prices now, some from well below a grand they seem a good option as another car! Hmmm....

I think the TD version (if it is a turbo diesel and not Touring) is a great car. GazCaff has one which has had a remap done and its a fast car, I've got a W202, not a diesel mind but it's never let me down and its a good workhorse and cheap ish runaround...... Well apart from the mods of course :)

I agree with gina, the W202 is a great car, hasn't let me down in the 7 months i have had owned it, although mine is a petrol.

Can't comment on the C250TD, however i would stay away from the C220D, very underpowered for the size of the car. 0-60 mph takes about 16 seconds :eek:

Can't comment on the diesel but I've had 2 w202's and they were both fantastic cars, looking at the prices now, some from well below a grand they seem a good option as another car! Hmmm....

In fact, they were so good you bought a B M W :D

W202's are a doddle to maintain and are very reliable when looked after. And i've heard only positive things about the C250 TD in terms of torque (performance) and consumption.

what sort of terms are we actually talking on economy on a 250TD for example, she currently owns a 1.9TDI audi and easily gets 50+ as it just sits on the motorway whenever its used at strange times of the day hence no traffic and good fuel useage,

she would like something a little nice though, interior wood and a three pointed star me thinks,

I've had the same C250TD Classic for the last 9 years, 249k on the clock drives better than many newer cars. She does 38 mpg over any week. I know she has been the best car I've ever had.

Just had a full service and MOT prep last week, 115GBP I couldn't be happier.

Cheers

:)

I've had the same C250TD Classic for the last 9 years, 249k on the clock drives better than many newer cars. She does 38 mpg over any week. I know she has been the best car I've ever had.

Just had a full service and MOT prep last week, 115GBP I couldn't be happier.

Cheers

:)

250K on the clock, thats what I like to read, old mercs going strong

Mark i would wait until early next year as car prices are going through the floor, mate at work is after a golf tdi gti saw one at a vw dealer 10.5k went back a couple weeks later 8k and that weekend they were offering another 10% off so 7.2k from 10.5k thats a lot of money to lose:crazy: in a couple of weeks, and of course once people have spent out over xmas they will need some money for the bills in february.

Lynall

Mark i would wait until early next year as car prices are going through the floor, mate at work is after a golf tdi gti saw one at a vw dealer 10.5k went back a couple weeks later 8k and that weekend they were offering another 10% off so 7.2k from 10.5k thats a lot of money to lose:crazy: in a couple of weeks, and of course once people have spent out over xmas they will need some money for the bills in february.

Lynall

Can the W202 get any cheaper?

Thanks for the advice everybody,

Her wonderfull employer has wiggled out of the `you get a bonus when we make profit` deal, something to do with profit margins and sales forecasts,

this is why I work for myself,

I think a W202 in good order with full history for £1500 is an absolute bargain.

I saw one this evening with one owner and 80k miles, probably worth a couple of thousand max. The owner keeps talking about a new Audi or something politically incorrect....

However as I cannot face selling the above car for a pittance, I'm keeping it!

what sort of terms are we actually talking on economy on a 250TD for example, she currently owns a 1.9TDI audi and easily gets 50+ as it just sits on the motorway whenever its used at strange times of the day hence no traffic and good fuel useage,

she would like something a little nice though, interior wood and a three pointed star me thinks,

I would have recommended the 2.2 diesel as its newer and replaced the 250TD. I considered one years ago as a second car and a daily motorway commuting car but bought an Audi 1.9 tdi Avant SE 110 bhp as it was cheaper in money and it was newer than the equivalent W202.. Shouldn't be saying this here as I still love and run a Merc but I never regretted it. As she already runs an Audi she could go for a newer model with the same 1.9 engine. I can reliably tell you she won't get the same fuel economy as the Audi.
I once traveled from Kent to the Hague in the Netherlands in the Audi with wifey and two kids and boot full of goodies on half a tank of diesel (I filled it to the brim until it couldn't take a drop more before setting off). I was trying to make good timimg so I did push her through the autoroutes in France and Belgium en route. Delightful performance and fuel economy.
Regularly got 700 miles (motorway) from a tankful of diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom