• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

£318 for an A service. E220D? Other options?

I can guarantee the vast majority of drivers in the UK and Europe have their vehicles serviced in accordance with the respective manufacturers scheduled intervals.
You can!!! 🙃

I think that you're assuming that because you don't know the differences between fuels and lubricants (if any) between regions and that because you or anyone you know have experienced premature engine wear, this must be a marketing plan to drive revenue. The 'I do this all the time and it never had a problem' position could be valid in many situations except for preventative maintenance.

People are more aware here because more do their own oil changes as well as other work in their cars. It stands to reason that they would be more aware than someone in the UK who has somebody else change their oil every 12000 miles. I merely suggested that for the cost of one 318 GBP oil change, the OP can do 5 oil changes himself. He can can double his service intervals and save 150GBP. It's just a suggestion, so much for marketing.

You can!!! 🙃

I think that you're assuming that because you don't know the differences between fuels and lubricants (if any) between regions and that because you or anyone you know have experienced premature engine wear, this must be a marketing plan to drive revenue. The 'I do this all the time and it never had a problem' position could be valid in many situations except for preventative maintenance.

People are more aware here because more do their own oil changes as well as other work in their cars. It stands to reason that they would be more aware than someone in the UK who has somebody else change their oil every 12000 miles. I merely suggested that for the cost of one 318 GBP oil change, the OP can do 5 oil changes himself. He can can double his service intervals and save 150GBP. It's just a suggestion, so much for marketing.
A simple question unanswered again.

Do oil change requirements differ with European and other non US made vehicles sold in the US as opposed to the same models sold in the UK and Europe?

America as we know is famed for being a very litigrous country. If engines were failing prematurely then the manufacturers would be doing all they could to prevent law suits.

All you are posting is opinion unsupported by peer reviewed evidence so let's agree to disagree.

There is absolutely zero evidence I can find that states that using manufacturer specified service intervals causes premature and catastrophic engine wear

How many people do you know who have more than 300K on the original engine? In my experience from when I lived in the UK, the majority of cars would find their way into scrap yards that are mechanically healthy. It's rot, tax or other reasons that make them not worth running.
I had three E220 CDi's, 2003, 2007, and 2011, all of which I ran as chauffeur vehicles.

All were serviced by Mercedes at the recommended service intervals of every 18k miles. They each did over 310k miles averaging 90k ish miles a year each, and none of them had any engine or gearbox issues whatsoever and were still running well when I changed them.

All any of them had was consumables, a set of front springs on the 2003 car, one broke on the motorway, a known weakness, two rear shock absorbers on the 2007 car due to a knocking top joint on one of them, and a water pump at 240k ish miles on the 2011 car, again a known weak point.

The 2011 car has reached 340k miles now with its new owner.

As you said, the killer on these cars now seems to be rusting rear subframes.

I merely suggested that for the cost of one 318 GBP oil change, the OP can do 5 oil changes himself. He can can double his service intervals and save 150GBP. It's just a suggestion, so much for marketing.

You merely assume that everyone likes laying under their car scrabbling for the sump plug, whilst hoping that they don’t drop it and that they did remember to buy a new washer. As opposed to paying a local business to do an oil/filter change.

My local garage charges £130 for an oil service and the annual inspection (MOT).

I had three E220 CDi's, 2003, 2007, and 2011, all of which I ran as chauffeur vehicles.

All were serviced by Mercedes at the recommended service intervals of every 18k miles. They each did over 310k miles averaging 90k ish miles a year each,

This is where extended oil changes may be less damaging. Cars that are being run all the time spend more time at operating temps. Less cold starts that reduce the likeliness fuel contamination into the oil. fewer cold starts, condensation etc which can cause oil and water to mix into sludge. It's still bonkers.
I merely suggested that for the cost of one 318 GBP oil change, the OP can do 5 oil changes himself. He can can double his service intervals and save 150GBP. It's just a suggestion, so much for marketing.

You merely assume that everyone likes laying under their car scrabbling for the sump plug, whilst hoping that they don’t drop it and that they did remember to buy a new washer.

No I didn't. I suggested that for the cost of one 318 GBP oil change, the OP can do 5 oil changes himself and can double double servicing intervals while saving 150GBP. It's a suggestion, not an assumption.
I would not assume that you or anyone else are capable of anything. You or he can certainly opt for oil changes at independent garages, double the number of services and still save money. Or he can opt to remain with the dealer. It's his car so he can do what he likes and it won't make any difference to me. we're all sharing opinions.

Because you're asking stupid questions. You can go online as easily as I can to check.

Yep, and so are you. It's a car forum, people ask questions and people respond with their opinion.
I haven't asked for your opinion. I have asked someone who is in the business of motor repair if service intervals as prescribed by the manufacturers are different in the US compared to the sane vehicles in Europe

Why are they "stupid" and questions?

Ad hominem
You should be able to answer this but my assumption is there is no diffeence which doesn't support your contention.
Because you're asking stupid questions. You can go online as easily as I can to check.

Yep, and so are you. It's a car forum, people ask questions and people respond with their opinion.
Why are they "stupid" questions?

Because the answer may show your opinion to be false?

Ad hominem responses such as yours are nearly always the resort of those with a failed argument and yours has failed to convince me or many others thataI have posted on this thread with their own evidence that is contrary to your "opinion"

If you are someone who services and maintains motor vehicles you have access to manufacturers service data and you should be able to answer the simple question as to if manufacturers of European vehicles etc have different service requirements such as oil change intervals or are they the same as for those vehicles sold in Europe and therefore provide some evidence to support your position.

Vehicles in most countries are rarely scrapped due to major mechanical failure. Corrosion, or expensive component failure that makes repairs unrconomic are the major reasons but of course that doesn't suit your unevidenced narrative but no doubt suits your balance sheet with the extra oil and filter changes.

Life is to short to try to debate when someone as yourself offers no facts or evidence and just arbitrarily dismisses any reasoned argument put up against your "opinion"

The ignore list is the best place for you.

Adios amigo 😀👍

I haven't asked for your opinion.

I responded to the OP, you interjected so I responded to you. That does not make me answerable to you. I'd say that I'll miss you but I honestly don't remember ever interacting with you.

Engines outlast the rest of the car on 95% of cases....rust, repair cost to close to cars value and increasing electronic failures are the reason a car gets scrapped..... not engine failure. On my 175,000 mile car which gets an annual oil change with the cheapest oil that meets the spec, still has the crosshatch marks visible on the bores.....I saw them when I removed the sump to replace the oil pick up seal.

Engines outlast the rest of the car on 95% of cases....rust, repair cost to close to cars value and increasing electronic failures are the reason a car gets scrapped..... not engine failure. On my 175,000 mile car which gets an annual oil change with the cheapest oil that meets the spec, still has the crosshatch marks visible on the bores.....I saw them when I removed the sump to replace the oil pick up seal.
As said before, you can explain it to some, however you may not understand it for them 🙄

My 2015 written off Mercedes C207E400 ( Cav Blue / natural interior ) is back on the road !

I still have the full service history of the car and any member who may have purchased it and the mileage appears correct.

If repairs carried out to Mercedes standard you will have a very nice car.

Plus £300 does seem like a lot for an A service to me

BTW a B Service isn't all that different but has a brake fluid swap and a cabin filter ... List below...... Any competant garage should be able to do all of that if you can't do it yourself.

• Mercedes-Benz Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
  • Oil Filter Replacement with Genuine Mercedes-Benz Fleece Filter
  • Replacement of cabin dust/combination filter
  • Tire inflation check and correction
  • Brake component inspection
  • Fluid level checks and correction
  • Maintenance counter reset
  • Brake fluid exchange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom