05 CLS55AMG project brutus #2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Morning all, has been a while since I have updated this thread, mainly as I decided not to drive the car incase I had any further issues with it. I then started to use it to take my pregnant wife into work while I done some repairs on her car and loan behold we had another catastrophic failure with her in the car.

As can be seen in the pictures below, the valve body on one of the rear shocks decided to part company with the shock itself, net result was the exhaust covered in fluid a smoking, it ripped the wiring out of it and covered the whole rear end in fluid. It then lodged itself between the wheel and suspension.

After a trip to the dealer to order yet another exp part for the car, I was told on Friday there are none anywhere and ETA from factory is January..

Nice.Today, I am forced to go and buy another car so I can get to work and so we have something to carry our baby about in when he arrives in a few month.

Some pics below.

Untitled by chris pollin, on Flickr

These are available from Bilstein and the Bay Chris, They around around £450 each. All the best with the Birth of your babe bud.

Ecp Do the rear shock, If its the same as my e55,

Part Number :635223915 use crazy75 code to bring it down to £481.94 inc vat n Post

OE part number is 211-326-6800 - merc priced these at £383+V, but with discount comes down to £306+V.
So do we think Bilstein actually make them for merc? and there will be no issues with the electronics side of things?

Havent heard of AEROSUS, will have a nosey now.

Yes Bilstein make them for MB

20-070915 is the Bilstein number Chris

Last edited:
todays update was rather unexciting, but nevertheless another issue ticked off the list. I have been getting tyre pressure warnings on the dash, and it seems the culprits were both front tyres loosing pressure. A trip to the local tyre shop revealed faulty valves on both fronts. So that was hopefully an easy fix!

hello all, got back to doing some more work on the cls... so this project was to identify the cause of the thud noise coming from the back when lifting off the throttle and also the very poor handling.

well to say this has turned into major surgery is an understatement lol.

i suspected the front two of the rear subframe bushes were at fault here, so decided to drop the whole frame off... i thought best way to tackle this would be to leave most of the running gear on the frame and lower it that way. so to get the frame off the following was done:
exhausts off
undertrays off
rear bumper off
prop disconnected
shocks removed
brake calipers removed
brake shoes and handbrake cable removed
fuel filler tube removed and tank capped
rear airbags deflated using star c3
3 x wiring harnesses from each side disconnected
compressor airline and wiring disconnected behind diff
the 4 frame bushes were then removed and the whole lots lowered using a jack

its worth noting if attempting this job that as a whole, this lot weighs a tonne! two of us couldnt lift it when on the floor.

from there each side was removed inboard and the diff removed

work then begun removing all 8 bushes in the frame! which hasnt yet completed as i write this.

there are tools available for this (in usa) but given my timeline, i chose to use old school methods, various drifts and threaded bars, or airdrill to remove the rubber sections and then the outer sleeve can be weakened to remove with an air chisel.

below, i think we found the culprit!

i have purchased the full set of genuine bushes from MB £320, but plan to send the frame away for sand blasting and coating of some sort as there is some surface corrosion present. i am also in the process of removing and treating any surface rust i find on the rear underside while everything is out...

After a lot of elbow grease, all the bushes are out the frame, its now with the shot blasters, hopefully be ready by weekend!

These are also knackered on the diff mount, in the process of removing them - new ones ordered today..

That is one seriously massive frame!

Possibly the most perfect one of those in the area though!

Looks excellent. Well done!

Hello, small update - most bushes in subframe - pics will follow - for now, new bushes in diff front mount, anti roll bar cleaned up and painted, the mounts seems sound (you can only replace whole bar anyway).

Latest problem to sort
These are the reservoir that are linked to the rear spring bags, some sort of black sealant
Non standard hoses, you cant buy MB ones, so will need to look for non OE.

Well done to you ...
Interesting read. It'll be like a brand new car once it's done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom