05 CLS55AMG project brutus #2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Those wheels :cool:

That kerb wall :eek:

I'd be tempted to back the car in as close to the wall as possible on the passenger side.

That is a grit-your-teeth-driveway right there!

Next job was to tidy the rear arches, as a bit of surface rust has started.

Plan so far, remove as much rust as possible with coarse wire brush on grinder, then a very light skim over with a 4" air grinder where required.

As I was so impressed with Bilt Hambers snow foam, i decided to give some more of their products a try, starting with BH Deox Gel to treat any remaining rust that was missed with the above.

I left the gel on overnight, scrubbed again with a wire brush then cleaned off with water. The surface was then further cleaned with a solvent.

Next I used BH Electrox, which is their high Zinc content coating. First coat applies, 2 hour wait, then 2nd coat applied.

Untitled by chris pollin, on Flickr

As the year is coming to a close, I thought I'd summarise the costs involved in this project,

Car purchase price £13700

Rear tyres £360

Oil cooler system repairs £869

Front suspension overhaul £687

Rear shock £367

Rear subframe overhaul £1189

Misc repairs £422

Grand total £17594

These number can give prospective CLS55 owners an outline of potential repair costs - if doing all the work yourself.....

good read keep up the good work, quite a lot of repairs tho, reckon the car has seen some neglect in the past or just not properly maintained?

As the year is coming to a close, I thought I'd summarise the costs involved in this project,

Car purchase price £13700

Rear tyres £360

Oil cooler system repairs £869

Front suspension overhaul £687

Rear shock £367

Rear subframe overhaul £1189

Misc repairs £422

Grand total £17594

These number can give prospective CLS55 owners an outline of potential repair costs - if doing all the work yourself.....

Hi Colin,

Loved the work you’ve done on your car! I’m hoping I can pick your brain!

I am an owner of a CLS55 in Canada and my Secondary Oil Cooler is also leaking...the thread at the top is shot hence leakage and am looking for a replacement. I’ve been quoted $1,200 for the exact replacement (Part No. 2115000400) from Mercedes which is just way too much!

I noticed in the pictures that your new Oil Cooler seems to be slightly different to the original. Did you use the Oil cooler with the part number 1405000400 by any chance ? Reason I ask is because your new cooler has a sensor that I know the original CLS Oil Coolers don’t have.

I’m hoping that is the case as I can source that at a much more cheaper price (like $300)!

Your help would be really appreciated!!

I apologize Chris! I don’t know why I ended up calling you Colin! Had a trigger moment (from Only Fools and Horses!)!

Hi,

I looked out the receipt for the square second cooler. HELLA 8MO 376 725 271. I paid £158 all inc. Yeah its slightly different as it has a sensor but i just ignored that, tightened it up and modified the bracket to accept it. It was some time ago now and had no trouble with it since.

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

I looked out the receipt for the square second cooler. HELLA 8MO 376 725 271. I paid £158 all inc. Yeah its slightly different as it has a sensor but i just ignored that, tightened it up and modified the bracket to accept it. It was some time ago now and had no trouble with it since.

Thanks

Chris
Thanks Chris! Life saver!

Hi,

Thanks

Chris
Hey Chris,

I don’t suppose you can give me the bolt details you used to plug the sensor hole with?

That would be awesome too!

Thanks again!

im quite sure that one came with the sensor....

A4EC8639-423C-4888-A0D3-0A01FFED4F98.jpeg Hey Chris..hoping you’re having a great holiday!

Wanted to pick your brain again...I finally got the part sent to me and just wanted to know how you adjusted it to fit in the original spot?

(1) I get that I have to make a small cutting for the sensor on one of the brackets.

(2) What do you do about the plastic piece where the fan screws on to the original cooler...do you reuse and somehow attach it to the new cooler? I’ve attached an example picture above of the plastic piece I'm talking about.

(3) How did you get rid of the metal attachments that have the screw holes from the new cooler? Did you use a grinder to remove them?

Really appreciate the help!!

Thanks,

Najam

hi, i dont recall there being any additional work required on points 2/3, im sure the plastic cowl just went straight on without modification...

How did you finish off the rear arches? I need to look at mine as I have some surface rust as well.

Several layers of black followed by clear laquer.

And lots of polishing to blend, you cant see where its merged as its on the arch lip...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom