124 Instrument lights not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi
The instrument lights on the wifes 124 have stopped working, i have checked fuses 3 which is supposed to be for the instrument lights and nubmberplate lights etc and all is fine, numberplate lights are working etc. Does the dimmer switch pack up or can anyone give me any pointers before i remove binnacle??

Thanks,

I think there is a fuse in the cluster itself.

As you say, the other obvious suspect is the rheostat although I would expect flickering or changing intensity to be the symptoms rather than no light at all.

Hi

Anyone any ideas on this??? All linterior ights are out when head lights are on, heater etc etc. Didnt realise how spooky it is to drive until i drove it in the dark this evening.

If all the lights have gone then yes the rheostat... just turn the dimmer back and forth a few times.. usually clears it up

My dash lights failed last Thursday as did the rear right tail lamp. Checked the bulb in the lamp, ok. Checked the fuse box, looked ok. Changed fuse 3, I think it was (might have been 6) and everything back to normal. Not sure if this may be of assistance though.

Hi

I have tried the fuse and jiggled and jiggled at the dimmer to no avail. I will have to pop out the speedo and have a look sometime but not tonight, im off to the Ukraine again at 2.30am:( :( it will keep till i get back.

Thanks again,

I had a occasion once when the dimmer switch itself went and broke. The metal contact strip on the back of the dimmer.

Take the whole cluster out and have a look.

Hi

Mercedes Cozy you were spot on. I popped out the cluster and this is what i found.
DSC04302.jpg

5 mins with the soldering iron
DSC04305.jpg

Sorted
DSC04308.jpg

And the result
DSC04310.jpg

DSC04311.jpg

By the way the potentiometer can be bought seperately from MB at around about £20.

I sorted this this evening instead of watching X Factor:D :D Hope it helps someone in the future

mine packed up last night too!!! agree, its strange driving in the dark with no interior lights!!

i will check the above tips!! :)

I sorted this this evening instead of watching X Factor:D :D Hope it helps someone in the future

If I had a broken dimmer switch it would..for now I'm confined to finding other reasons to avoid that crap..

Pulled the cluster out tonight quickly and revealed that it is just a broken solder as above :)

does anyone have any advice on what wires to remove 1st etc or any other general tips when removing a cluster on a 124? it seems very tight as i couldnt move it out very much without removing wires (i think the speedo cable...).

thanks

derek

Silversaloon

Try this, http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/W124InstCluster

Any probs let me know.

Undo and pull speedo first, then just take wires off, dont worry any bulbs that come out should be numbered to go back in again. There is a plastic retaining clip/clamp that bunches all the wires together that needs removed.

Glad to have been assistance to you.

Hi

Mercedes Cozy you were spot on. I popped out the cluster and this is what i found.
DSC04302.jpg

5 mins with the soldering iron
DSC04305.jpg

Sorted
DSC04308.jpg

And the result
DSC04310.jpg

DSC04311.jpg

By the way the potentiometer can be bought seperately from MB at around about £20.

Hi

I managed to do this by just removing the speedo cable and the large round connector behind where the fuel guage is.... i then carefully lowered the cluster down below the steering wheel and soldered the join. Job done :)

It appears its my turn, strange drive back from Suffolk this evening using the Satnav as a speedo... it is very odd having the car blacked out inside..

Does the dash go back in easily and without marks where the coathanger removal tool has been used - I can see myself solving one problem and generating several more..

Will have to postpone it to next weekend as am working tomorrow.. :rolleyes:

Ade

Last edited:
Hi

If you take your time you should leave no marks. When mine was lit up again the dimming feature was gone, it was all duck or no dinner as they say.

I wish I had not read this thread. We've 2 w124's in the stable so I know whats going to happen soon!:rolleyes:

try just putting pressure on the side bits with your hands 1st to remove.... it may come out eaiser if its been removed before. i never used tools on mine.

its probably the solder gone on the dimmer or the dimmer broke itself.

search for "solder" here and you will find the thread with pics

search for "solder" here and you will find the thread with pics

A bit of a Homer moment there silversaloon....it's this thread......:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom