• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

1980 280E fuel injection problem

Kerabo

Car
2006 C220 Estate
I am trying to help a friend who has a 1980 280E 110 engine.
he is not a mechanic but can’t get it to run ( it’s been stood at least 20 years)
He tipped a little fuel into the intake and it fires and attempts to run.
he said if he removes the fuel delivery pipe I guess from the pump it’s under pressure.

I haven’t seen it but seems to point to not injecting fuel?
I have told him to check every fuse on the vehicle As we don’t know the fuse for the system.
Have these got a switch that cuts the fuel should it have an impact?
I offered my diagnostic tester but he says it has a round bonnet or on the car.

Thanks Ken

Ken whats the round bonnet on the car ? Do you have a spark ? pull a spark plug out and put the ht l;ead back on to the plug .Then hold s/plug just away from the engine block see if you have a spark.

Ken whats the round bonnet on the car ? Do you have a spark ? pull a spark plug out and put the ht l;ead back on to the plug .Then hold s/plug just away from the engine block see if you have a spark.
Thanks for the reply.

I have not seen the car. It’s a mate I bump into every now and then.
It must have a spark as it runs for a few seconds if he tip neat fuel into the inlet.
I can’t connect my diagnostic reader as he said it has a round connector.

I thought the easy thing he could check is the fuses. I assume the injection system has a fuse?
It is injection is it and not a carb is it.
Thanks Ken

Has the fuel in the tank also been stood for twenty years? If it has dispose of it and refill (and flush through) with fresh fuel. It may not be the only fault but a fault which will stop it running it certainly is.

Has the fuel in the tank also been stood for twenty years? If it has dispose of it and refill (and flush through) with fresh fuel. It may not be the only fault but a fault it certainly is.
That’s a good point.I assumed it was fresh but will ask him and get back.
he says the feed from the tank and I guess the pump is under pressure ?

Thanks Ken

Assuming the 280E is a carb model in the 1980s a carb rebuild would clear out gummed up fuel.
I have a 280GE M110 engine on Bosch fuel injection, and they are sensitive to rotted vacuum pipes... especially advance retard lines to the distributor.

Assuming the 280E is a carb model in the 1980s a carb rebuild would clear out gummed up fuel.
I have a 280GE M110 engine on Bosch fuel injection, and they are sensitive to rotted vacuum pipes... especially advance retard lines to the distributor.

Thanks for advice.
I will contact him and pass it on.

I has a motorcycle thad been left with fuel in and turned on and the carb was a sort of varnish that hardly anything would move.
Thanks
Ken

Thanks for advice.
I will contact him and pass it on.

I has a motorcycle thad been left with fuel in and turned on and the carb was a sort of varnish that hardly anything would move.
Thanks
Ken
Seems it’s injection and not a carb.
he drained and refilled the tank a while ago and it ran but now nothing.
as I said if he tips a lid full of fuel down the inlet it starts until it’s used up.

i have never had a petrol injection unit apart. Messed with diesel stuff. Are there any common faults that would stop it running ?

Thanks Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom