2 coolant bottles on a w205 220d 2016 ? Whats going on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe it's not in the handbook because they do not want plebs like us messing with it ? 🤷‍♂️ . I am like you , if I see something that looks like it needs checking out and 'they' do not mention it , that makes me investigate even further :)

Did you check your inbox?
Wow, Thanks for that very informative i have skimmed through and will read in depth later, but when you see all that you know why these are top cars. Well i'm happy all's ok but it does seem funny not to have a full mark and not to be in the handbook. Thanks for all your help gang this lockdown gives me things to look for on the car, it will be great when we are back off in them again. Have fun stay safe.
Maybe it's not in the handbook because they do not want plebs like us messing with it ? 🤷‍♂️ . I am like you , if I see something that looks like it needs checking out and 'they' do not mention it , that makes me investigate even further :)
We used to be called nosey, Ha Ha

Hi guys, so is it confirmed that that second container is for turbo ? I got problems/leaking with mine over 3 years, I was told that is only 'expansion' bottle and it does not need to be filled, at the last service at mercedes dealer they told me, that it is "aid" coolant container for turbo but it is not big problem, when it is empty. What is your opinion ?

The vehicle does have 2 expansion tanks

The 1st one is the larger one on the drivers side and this the high temperature circuit bottle which cools the engine like a conventional system

Now the small one on the pass side is the low temperature bottle and this cools the charge air system eg the intercooler unit as it sits under the intake manifold

If this is empty during prolonged driving you might get a lack of power if the charge air becomes to hot

Turbo isn't water cooled

The vehicle does have 2 expansion tanks

The 1st one is the larger one on the drivers side and this the high temperature circuit bottle which cools the engine like a conventional system

Now the small one on the pass side is the low temperature bottle and this cools the charge air system eg the intercooler unit as it sits under the intake manifold

If this is empty during prolonged driving you might get a lack of power if the charge air becomes to hot

Turbo isn't water cooled
Hi, thank you very much for your quick response. In my case (c220d w205 combi), big one is at passenger side and small (transparent) one is at driver side, but If i understand correctly, simple answer is that it should NOT be empty, but if it is, it will not cause any DAMAGE but i just get lack of the power ? This is similar to what they told me at the last vidis of the mercedes car service. I currently have a car at the another service place and mechanic is telling me (with pretty serious tone) that it is a big problem and it will/or did cause a lot of damage. I have this problem since I bought a car (i found out later that it was crashed), so more than 3 years and I would say that car feels the same without any problems with cooling. I also was with this leaking problem 2 times at the other car service places, but they did not solve a problem and I do not want spent another money if not necessary.

Hi, thank you very much for your quick response. In my case (c220d w205 combi), big one is at passenger side and small (transparent) one is at driver side, but If i understand correctly, simple answer is that it should NOT be empty, but if it is, it will not cause any DAMAGE but i just get lack of the power ? This is similar to what they told me at the last visit of the mercedes car service. I currently have a car at the another service place and mechanic is telling me (with pretty serious tone) that it is a big problem and it will/or did cause a lot of damage. I have this problem since I bought a car (i found out later that it was crashed), so more than 3 years and I would say that car feels the same without any problems with cooling. I also was with this leaking problem 2 times at the other car service places, but they did not solve a problem and I do not want spent another money if not necessary.

Also, just to clarify, this secondary cooling container/system helps the intercooler for the better cooling air before its hits the engine so it has more power ? But stock intercooler alone should be enough to prevent some engine damage ? Also there should be 2 types of intercooler; air cooled and water cooled, for w205 it is air cooled and this secondary coolant container is just extra help to cool air coming from intercooler or this is water-cooled intercooler and it cools the intercooler itself(in which case it seems that this coolant container is important) ...I am very noob in this area, but I would really love to learn more .Thanks :)

Last edited:
Also, just to clarify, this secondary cooling container/system helps the intercooler for the better cooling air before its hits the engine so it has more power ? But stock intercooler alone should be enough to prevent some engine damage ? Also there should be 2 types of intercooler; air cooled and water cooled, for w205 it is air cooled and this secondary coolant container is just extra help to cool air coming from intercooler or this is water-cooled intercooler and it cools the intercooler itself(in which case it seems that this coolant container is important) ...I am very noob in this area, but I would really love to learn more .Thanks :)

The Turbo Intercooler on these models has a separate cooling system, hence two expansion bottles - one for the engine coolant, the other for the IC coolant.
Hi, when there is the leak in IC expansion bottle (i got a problem with this over 3 years), can this do actual damage to turbo/engine or I will just get lack of the power ? ( i am getting different answers at the different car service places)

Hi, when there is the leak in IC expansion bottle (i got a problem with this over 3 years), can this do actual damage to turbo/engine or I will just get lack of the power ? ( i am getting different answers at the different car service places)

See post #26?

See post #26?
Hi, yes. But as I said i am noob in this area. I understand that it can cause lower power but I am still not user about potential damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom