• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2006 SL350 R230 - Setting the Time

RobertNewton

Car
CLK240 2002
Hi I just wanted to make sure that what I have been reading elsewhere is correct - that you cannot correctly set the time on these cars ? seems incredible.

So the car has SatNav (which works well) and therefore according to the manual the time has to be set via the Comand module not the steering wheel.

The facility is there in the Comand module BUT will only allow the minutes to be set in 30 minutes intervals - this is something to do with GPS - (I assume the idea was that the clock would take its minutes timing from data that GPS provided).

Is that it ?? there is no solution? That the clock in this old but prestigious car just cannot be set ?? I'm just gob smacked.

It's a decade since I owned my two, but my memory is that you go into Services / Time on Comand, defined the country that you're in and set the time "roughly," and then the GPS signal adjusted the time to precisely the correct time.

So you don't set the precise time, the GPS signal does.

The initial shenanigans being about adjusting for different summer / winter time protocols and time zones.

But there'll be another R230 owner along in a moment.

As above in mine ..... took me a while to suss it out though...

Or was it my Honda CR-V that was a pain ..... My R230 is older than yours ( 2003 )

Correct, the ‘accuracy’ will be governed automatically but you can set the time zone/hour to the nearest 30 minutes.

Should all be in the manual :thumb:

You can see the time through the steering wheel controls and have them sync with the radio

It's a software bug caused by the GPS date rollover (sort of similar to the Y2K issue). Mostly the answer is to re-code the instrument cluster to re-enable the time setting menu so the car uses that instead of the time from the COMAND.
www.comand.co.uk can do this, but I think are a large distance from you ..

I so have a solution !! well I think I have at least. One of the posts above prompted me to think this way.

Using the Comand screen and time settings I changed the geographical area from the UK to Alaska.

This immediately allowed me to set the minutes, (previously it had only allowed 30 minute intervals).

Closed the settings page and since then the centre dash clock has kept prefect time.

So can't see a downside at the moment and its resolved the problem completely.

Thanks to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom