2009 CL500 5.5. Very cheap on AutoTrader.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChipChop

MB Enthusiast
Car
S210 320cdi w201 190d 2.5
Seems very cheap for a 5.5 at £6000. 130,000miles.

It's in the back end of beyond, and a p/x to clear so the dealer will have invested absolutely zero time in it. An open admission of "age related marks hence bargain price" on the advert will almost certainly translate to it being rougher than expected, and I have no doubt they'll try to claim it's a trade sale with no comebacks.

A grand or 2 more gets you examples without most, if not all those caveats. Does it still feel like a bargain?

Last edited:
.....and I have no doubt they'll try to claim it's a trade sale with no comebacks
The company is even called "Trade Sales"!....so yes, expect "no warranty given or implied" on the invoice!!!

Cue "Swiss Toni." (aka Charlie Higson, car dealer)

So many beauties out there, so little time. (in better condition)

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 15.09.44.png

Last edited:
"Buying a car is like making love to a beautiful woman......" :)

Cue "Swiss Toni." (aka Charlie Higson, car dealer)

So many beauties out there, so little time. (in better condition)

View attachment 142543
Always thought these facelift 5.5 litre cars were worth a lot more. Fine looking machines, even the cheap one in the **** end of nowhere.:p

Wowzers these things have really dropped in price!! Yeah it’s in the middle of nowhere, clearly better examples out there.

Feels like a safer bet than a 215

Oh the 215 is a lovely looking thing. I had one (facelift) for 2 months around 5 years ago when it had dropped to a stupid price.

Lovely thing but ABC scared me at the time.

Wowzers these things have really dropped in price!! Yeah it’s in the middle of nowhere, clearly better examples out there.

Feels like a safer bet than a 215
V8's. People run scared of mpg, even though they've been better maintained, "good for 200,000 miles" and cheaper to run than newer smaller cars.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 07.45.03.png

V8's. People run scared of mpg, even though they've been better maintained, "good for 200,000 miles" and cheaper to run than newer smaller cars.
Am I missing the sarcasm?.....
If not I don't really agree with that......not every V8 owner is a "car person"....so no real reason to say that they are likely to have been better maintained than any other car....some of the V8s that appear in the "spotted for sale" page on here prove that.....and also lots of non car people maintain there cars well....my dad is definitely not a car person (driving a Qashqai proves that!).....but its mint and has FMDSH.
What cars dont last 200,000 miles now if looking after even a little bit?....my ALFA is at 170,000m. That said I don't see the small turbo petrol's that dominate the market now lasting that long.....but will be happy to be proven wrong!!
Cheaper to run than a small car?....clearly not....high fuel costs, maintenance (even if you DIY), insurance....and if a prestige marque, parts prices too. My Audi A8 4.2 V8 was probably the most expensive to run I've had......and that's even with it being super reliable.

Am I missing the sarcasm?.....
If not I don't really agree with that......not every V8 owner is a "car person"....so no real reason to say that they are likely to have been better maintained than any other car....some of the V8s that appear in the "spotted for sale" page on here prove that.....and also lots of non car people maintain there cars well....my dad is definitely not a car person (driving a Qashqai proves that!).....but its mint and has FMDSH.
What cars dont last 200,000 miles now if looking after even a little bit?....my ALFA is at 170,000m. That said I don't see the small turbo petrol's that dominate the market now lasting that long.....but will be happy to be proven wrong!!
Cheaper to run than a small car?....clearly not....high fuel costs, maintenance (even if you DIY), insurance....and if a prestige marque, parts prices too. My Audi A8 4.2 V8 was probably the most expensive to run I've had......and that's even with it being super reliable.
Moi ???

I'm just saying that they're generally well maintained, and garaged, by the first couple of owners - more so than the routine.

Agreed that after that things depend on the later owners. But again, generally, these things are usually owned by the well-heeled, who aren't so scared of maintenance.

Alfa"s ? Everyone should own one. Once. But it's a very special man who can run an Alfa to 170,000 miles.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 10.06.33.png

Seems very cheap for a 5.5 at £6000. 130,000miles.

Unfortunately that is not cheap. There is one other on auto trader for a little more money but only has about 70,000m on it. It's been on there for months. We all appreciate these cars, but most people just see them as trouble... Or too expensive to run

Always fancied a 5 litre and not concerned about mpg or maintenance.
More concerned about insurance (London address) and my licence ;)

Moi ???

I'm just saying that they're generally well maintained, and garaged, by the first couple of owners - more so than the routine.

Agreed that after that things depend on the later owners. But again, generally, these things are usually owned by the well-heeled, who aren't so scared of maintenance.

Alfa"s ? Everyone should own one. Once. But it's a very special man who can run an Alfa to 170,000 miles.

View attachment 142572
I pretty much always have an Alfa of some sort and I have to say mine have all been super reliable, but I’m sure that’s because they generally get fawned over! Saying that all my cars do. However my wife’s Abarth 500 is now on 120k miles compared to my E250 on 116k. Similar age. The Abarth (1.4 Turbo) has only needed 2 rear shocks, 2 rear wheel bearings and a clutch slave, total cost about £500. I did add Alfa GTV rear bump stops to improve the ride but they hadnt failed. I love my Merc but it’s cost over £3k in the same time. Fiat group stuff these days is pretty solid.

Id really quite like a V8 Merc of some sort but honestly the potential cost does put me off, given my experience with the S212.. I’ve always hankered after an AMG, probably an E63 but I think I’m just too risk averse now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom