2019 C43 crabbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyMercUK

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI AMG SPORT
I've had my C43 a good few months now and fully aware of 'crabbing' as my previous GLC 4matic had the same issue.

I just wondered what Mercedes stance on it was as I think the crabbing is much worse on the 43 than the GLC.

Mercedes changed the tyres of my GLC to all weather tyres and it reduced the amount crabbing but wondered if anyone had anything similar done with their C43?

Ive recently got a (used) GLC63s with 20" wheels and it crabs really badly worse as it gets colder now. Had a GLC250d (19" wheels) before and that crabbed a bit and Mercedes put new tyres on it (which basically fixed it) - but apparently there is new suspension parts for those - but not for AMG models apparently (I will keep pushing to find out more)

Cheers
Richard

Search this forum. Loads on this here. The tyre brand makes a huge difference. My tyres were changed by MB. Not to all seasons. Just different brand. Removed issue. Tyres that do this are listed on various conversations here

The fix differs from model to model. The steering knuckle change is mainly for non AMG cars. I’m definite that it’s not possible on GLC 63, but I tyre change does help.

With C43 you’ll need to check right the dealer what the recommended fix is, if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if this not normal then? Something that needs fixing? Or just something that's slightly annoying? My new C43 does it when I'm doing low speed full lock parking maneouvres.

My two wheel drive C350e does it now that the colder weather is here and the front tyres are getting old. I think if you change the worn front tyres to any kind of new ones with full tread it will improve things.

Spoke to Mercedes, they’re investigating what options there are for the C43.

It’s strange because on the C43 Facebook group one bloke had his tyres changed to Pirelli P Zero’s and it resolved the crabbing however that’s what mine is running on.

Spoke to Mercedes, they’re investigating what options there are for the C43.

It’s strange because on the C43 Facebook group one bloke had his tyres changed to Pirelli P Zero’s and it resolved the crabbing however that’s what mine is running on.

Mine also came with Pirelli P-Zero's on it. Be interested to hear what sort of response you get, keep us informed :)

Dealer came back this afternoon and said the fix is to replace the tyres with Continental summer tyres

Are we talking about 'crabbing' where the front and rear axles are out of alignment so that the car moves forward at an angle (like a crab moves sideways), or skipping of the front wheels on load such as full lock at slow speeds?

Aren’t they the same thing??

The tyres skip which in turn causes the car to crab forward.

No. It’s the skipping wheels thing. The cars are not crabbing along the road.

I didn't realise the C43 was 4 wheel drive and therefore prone to the well documented issue of crabbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom