• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2021 GLA - Traffic Sign Assist showing wrong speed limit on Display

Forestier

Car
W205 C200 AMG PREMIUM PLUS AUTO ESTATE
I bought a 2021 GLA 200D Amg Line 6 weeks ago, low mileage and reasonable spec.
I live in France so car is LHD, my first, it was a bit scary getting used to driving sitting in the left hand seat, I kept parking 2 feet to the right of where I thought I had parked.
Very pleased with the car now I am getting used to it but with one exception, the traffic sign recognition system is abysmal.
It gets the displayed speed wrong a lot of the time, e.g. road is 50kmh limit in a town but MBUX says 70kmh.
It is wrong about 50% of the time.
The GLA replaced a Ford SMax Vignale & that had speed sign recognition.
It also made mistakes but not as many as the GLA & that was a 2017 car.
I expected more from Mercedes in 2021.
I have switched the option off.
Has anyone else having the same problems?

Short answer, no. Longer answer follows...

Different spec levels have different equipment that operate the speed limit sign recognition differently. For example, the basic spec limit recognition system is solely camera based, while the more advanced version uses sat-nav information supplemented by camera recognition.

I'm not conversant with which version is fitted with which option pack on a French-spec car, but you should be able to find out what your particular car has by reference to its build sheet. If it has the more advanced version fitted then an obvious question to ask is, "is the sat-nav cartography up to date?".

Thanks for the reply.
Checking paperwork from supplying main dealer.
Has
“Pack Premium Plus:
“Speed limit assistant by reading signs using a camera”
I get the point about sat nav cartography being out of date but, in some instances, the displayed speed limit of 80kph would never have been in force because we are talking urban streets in a large town.
I will gather more data & raise this with my local Dealer.

but, in some instances, the displayed speed limit of 80kph would never have been in force because we are talking urban streets in a large town
My experience of the solely camera-based speed limit assist is that it will respond to the last limit sign it "sees". Not sure how that works in France where the name sign of the town / village indicates the start of a 50kph limit?

I don't know if you have exactly the same system as on my car, but mine has no problem reading the speed signs, except on rare occasions it picks up the speed limit plates on HGVs. Usually gets sorted very quickly though . . .
If you've only had the car 6 weeks, maybe you should have them take a look at the problem ? Could the windscreen have been changed and something not properly re-installed ?

Merc one always gets info from the map too, so (a) make sure map is up to date (b) have the camera re-aligned - if its had a new windscreen it may not have been done

R

Thanks all.
Have emailed supplying dealer to check if 1st owner ever had screen replaced & will then contact my local main dealer & get them to investigate.

Do the auto lights and auto wipers work ok?

I ask because if they’re not working properly too, it’s almost certain that the screen has been replaced and the camera/sensor module hasn’t been reinstalled properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom