300E-24 Automatic Gearbox Fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ARoyal

Car
MB 300E-24
Hello,

Don't know if any one can help but I have a 300E-24 and when reverse is selected it feels like the car brakes are on as you go back. You have to use almost full power to get it to move and as soon as you back off it comes to an immediate halt. It pretty much makes you look like a learner driver when reversing!

I used to have an over-rev issue but the work done to the vehicle so far (new ATF, new Parking brake and shoes) seems to have sorted that. The garage is now saying they cannot think of any thing other than putting in a new gearbox or second hand one.

I am hoping this will not be necessary as it would mean scrapping an otherwise mint 20+ year old car with 90k on the clock.

I have searched the forums and only found advice to change the ATF (already done).

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Adam

Put the car on a FLAT level surface. Put it in neutral. Can you push it back without any real resistance (apart from the weight of the car). If yes it maybe your new handbrake shoes are incorrectlty fitted.

Adam, if your not too far away from buckinghamshire I've got a gearbox here, should you need it...

Thanks, in Banbury so not too far. I will exhaust all avenues first and then maybe give you a shout.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom