4matic in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Any got any idea why Daimler Chrysler dont market the 4-matic versions of their saloons in the UK. :confused: :confused: I believe they market a 4matic versions of the c240 c320 e350 e500 and S350 S500. So why cant you buy one in the UK Not the old chesnut about RHD again I hope :mad: If we are going to get more SNOW as some of the weather pundits predict would be a nice option. :)

It's most definitely a regional market thing. I believe you can get 4 Matics in the US. Off topic I saw a W220 S350 4 Matic in Egypt recently!

I'm sure I read somewhere recently was that it was indeed an RHS issue.

on the 124 it was an issue,. but DCUK are supposed to be bringing the 4matic back here soon

4-matic UK Still waiting

Still holding my breath but getting a little purple in the face now :( :( :(

Might be easier if we just switched to driving on the right?

I can only comment on the E-class 211 4Matic and a major problem with this installation is the fact that there is a 'bulge' in the transmission tunnel on the right hand front footwell. Thus on vehicles fitted with the steering wheel on the incorrect side (LHD) the bulge is on the passenger side. For RHD vehicles this bulge would force your foot to be uncomfortably close to the footbrake, thus needing a major modification which would not be cost effective.

It is quite possible this problem will apply throughout the range, if you check all the right hand drive countries you will find that no one has this brilliant option.

Good luck though,
John

4x4 transmission relocated!

Initially I was puzzled by your reply, because the old MB 4-MATIC transfer case and propshaft was on the left (looking to the front) and so I couldn't understand the "bulge in the right hand floorwell" comment in Glojos post. Then I saw this description http://www.edsoto.com./w210/chass_transcase.htm . some great video animation on this excellent site. Mb have swopped their 4x4 drive layout left to right!! :devil: :devil: Probably their new design favours the US market/LHD. That redesign change probably means we will never see a RHD 4matic in the near future :( :( Great pity cos the new brake based 4x4 system seems much more reliable than the old one.

Attachments

• old_4matic.jpg
    old_4matic.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 51
  • new4matic2.jpg
    new4matic2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
grober said:
Initially I was puzzled by your reply, because the old MB 4-MATIC transfer case and propshaft was on the left (looking to the front) and so I couldn't understand the "bulge in the right hand floorwell" comment in Glojos post. Then I saw this description

Hi grober,
I can understand the confusion simply because 'older' Mercedes-Benz did offer 4Matic in RHD format. Many moons ago I had some pictures of this horrible bulge in the transmission tunnel on the 211 and it really does rule out any simple moving of the steering wheel from LHD over to RHD.

The 211 4Matic is evidently the 'bees knee's' and hopefully we might sample its capibilities in the new R-class.

I have spoken to an owner of a 4Matic and his wife has commented several times about having to adjust her sitting position because of her left leg rubbing against the transmission tunnel.

So as I have always stated... 4Matic is available in RHD format on older MB, but not on the new S or E class.

Have a nice day,

John
Sunny Torquay

or c class w203 john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom