• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

6 cylinder om642 engine issue

Thanks again for your time to reply. Forgive me as I’ve never used it before but how will that UV stuff help me narrow it down? Coolant is bright orange/red as it is and is easily visible type thing. I may well just order some new coolant and flush the system once again for the sake of £35. But I still find it a very strange leak! I went out this evening for 35 minutes and as I drove in my driveway there was no leak this time! One thing I’ve noticed is that when my car is stone cold my coolant level is on maximum line. When it’s up to temperature it rises of course and when I opened the cap earlier I noticed that it was high enough to be seeping into the drain off pipe on the reservoir! Is that right?
So, this is getting interesting 🤔

Firstly, uv leak kit will dye coolant invisibly to humans eye but when approached with supplied torch, it lights up in violent/purple colour. This way you could see where is coming from.

Flushing the system is always good and sometimes necessary.

But in your situation.

Maybe leak you are talking about is coming from the reservoir and somehow is getting where you are mentioning.

But BIG worry is why it is overflowing? If it's at the right level when is cold. Water expands up to 4% when heated. So if you imagine reservoir 4% would be nowhere near the overflow.

However if you're water pump doesn't work as it should. And water is not circulating at right rate this could cause water to boil and create "air" pockets in the engine block, raising level inside your tank. Never mind bit of water but your engine could die. Another thing is thermostat. Probably first one to replace as is cheaper and I believe fairly easy to do.

Have a go.

Haha thanks agai
So, this is getting interesting 🤔

Firstly, uv leak kit will dye coolant invisibly to humans eye but when approached with supplied torch, it lights up in violent/purple colour. This way you could see where is coming from.

Flushing the system is always good and sometimes necessary.

But in your situation.

Maybe leak you are talking about is coming from the reservoir and somehow is getting where you are mentioning.

But BIG worry is why it is overflowing? If it's at the right level when is cold. Water expands up to 4% when heated. So if you imagine reservoir 4% would be nowhere near the overflow.

However if you're water pump doesn't work as it should. And water is not circulating at right rate this could cause water to boil and create "air" pockets in the engine block, raising level inside your tank. Never mind bit of water but your engine could die. Another thing is thermostat. Probably first one to replace as is cheaper and I believe fairly easy to do.

Ha thanks again for commenting. I understand now, might just be helpful enough to narrow it down. Well the water pump was replaced about 6 weeks ago. Branded pump and the cars temp goes exactly where it should do when warm and the heating blasts lovely and hot! There is no significant air bubble anywhere and the car doesn’t build any pressure in the reservoir. It just expands slightly more when I undo the cap of course as it’s no longer under pressure. But I didn’t think overfilling it slightly could make much of a difference as that’s what the overflow pipe is for, no?

Haha thanks agai

Ha thanks again for commenting. I understand now, might just be helpful enough to narrow it down. Well the water pump was replaced about 6 weeks ago. Branded pump and the cars temp goes exactly where it should do when warm and the heating blasts lovely and hot! There is no significant air bubble anywhere and the car doesn’t build any pressure in the reservoir. It just expands slightly more when I undo the cap of course as it’s no longer under pressure. But I didn’t think overfilling it slightly could make much of a difference as that’s what the overflow pipe is for, no?
I honestly hope you get it resolved. I think there are places in the engine block where air pockets could appear while engine wasn't running. UV Idea, I think is going to solve your mystery :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom