606.962 fuel leakage issues. help pleasee!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ali E300TD

Car
W210 300TD om606.962
I am having problems with my 98 W210 300 TD. Six months ago I replaced the injector leak off pipes (the ones that run from onr injector to the next for return fuel) and then the mechanic told me to replace the injector heat shields because the fuel was coming from the combustion chamber to the top of the injector. After replacing the heat shield the problem was resolved.

However it has resurfaced and at first impression I thought the leak off pipes must have cracked some where so I replaced those but to no joy. It still leaks and all six of the injector body cups are full of diesel and three of them have bubbles when the engine is running. So do I replace the heat shields again now?

I would also like to add that my motor is not in the best of shape although regularly serviced with recommended lubricants it has significant blow by; can that be a cause somehow?

Any help would be great!

The compression blow-by can't cause the injector seals to leak, if anything the reduced compression would reduce that.

Remove the injectors, sealing rings and heat shields, clean up the mating surfaces, checking for any pitting, fit new heat shields and sealing rings and torque the injectors down.
If the alloy mating surface is pitted it will require cutting to smooth it.

Dieselman thanks for the reply.:bannana:

What and where are the sealing rings? I must have seen them but I cannot recall, please post a pic if you can.

And how much should they be torqued down to?

:)

Last edited:
My error, the heat shields incorporate the sealing rings on these, unlike my other cars.

I don't have the torque settings, but you will know once the washer has crushed properly.

According to Autodata injector clamp torque is 40 N/m for a 1999 year 606.961/2 code engine. Tell me the year and I''ll double check.

Torque on those are only 45nm.
Make sure the washers are on the right position too, there is a lip and a flat side on the washer. This need to be put on properly.
They can be insert upsidedown :(
I actually need to look in the "archieve" what is the proper way, if someone else know please put it on :)

So the sealing ring, heat shield and washer is one and the same thing? I'm gettin confused here! I am aware that they can be put upside down.

My Vw golf also has them but the hole diameter is smaller and thickness is more than the merc ones, I have a workshop manual for that car which illustrates the right position of the heat shields so I will refer to that.

Can someone please give me the part number for these heat shields? I will have to order them.

Thanks all of you!

A6010170060

The shields go with the centre hole touching the nozzle and then falling away convexly.

Last edited:
year is 98.
For a 1998 year 606.961/2 the torques given in Autodata 2009 are;

injector/clamp 40 N/m,
injector pipe unions 10-20 N/m,
injector nozzle to holder 40 N/m,
fuel/injection pump flange 20 N/m,
glow plugs 20 N/m.
Hope these help.

For a 1998 year 606.961/2 the torques given in Autodata 2009 are;

injector/clamp 40 N/m,
injector pipe unions 10-20 N/m,
injector nozzle to holder 40 N/m,
fuel/injection pump flange 20 N/m,
glow plugs 20 N/m.
Hope these help.

Okay... Yes these definitely help! But let me get it right when the whole injector body is screwed into the head, I torque them down to 40NM... Right!

Okay... Yes these definitely help! But let me get it right when the whole injector body is screwed into the head, I torque them down to 40NM... Right!
I am a diesel tech of a lot of years but have no experience of your engine, the Mercedes engines I see are larger. Yes, 40 N/m is the supplied figure for the injector, make sure the injector, seals, sleeve if it has one, etc are very clean. In general the usual cause of compression loss around injectors is dirt. Autodata are reputable and widely used for information.

Okay so I got the heat shields replaced with new ones and torqued them to 40nm. And made sure that the surface was absolutely clean.

After reassembly, the first two injectors still have very small bubbles popping out from under or over the heat shields. Mechanic says it will stop in a day or two.

Will it? is this how it is suppose to be? :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom