A policeman just when you need one :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Earlier this morning I was on my way to work , southbound on the new section of the M74 , passing Rutherglen , maintaining 60mph in lane one , in compliance with the limit on that section of road .

It was a little before 8am , so not properly daylight yet , and given that it had been foggy further back most people were on dipped headlamps or fog lamps .

I was following a white van , doing the same speed as I was , there was some traffic behind , and a few people speeding by at 70 or more , but not all that busy .

The White van and I were catching up with a flatbed truck towing a plant trailer , doing 30 or 40 in lane one , and completely unlit ; the van moved out into lane two to overtake , as did I , then , just as the van was alongside the trailer , the truck drifted out into lane two , forcing the van to brake and swerve into lane three - I had to brake moderately hard , staying in lane two behind the trailer , and a speeder coming up in lane three had to stand on his brakes to avoid the van which had been forced into his path . I should add there was nothing else in lane one to give the truck reason to move out , the next on ramp was still quite some way ahead .

The truck driver seemed oblivious to all of this and proceeded to continue in lane two , unlit , at no more than 40 mph ! When safe , I overtook him , giving a loud blast of my horn before passing , just so that he was aware of me .

As I left him behind , I could see him in my rear view mirror drifting between lanes one and two .

Then , praise be , about a mile further on , there was a police traffic car stopped on the hard shoulder beside another car with hazard lights going . I quickly stopped , jumped out and explained what had just happened to the two cops sitting in the car , pointing out the errant vehicle as it passed and finishing with the words 'I wonder if he's been drinking' .

The police driver replied 'we'll have a look and find out , thank you sir' before taking off after him .

By the time I had rejoined the traffic flow , I saw them on the hard shoulder another mile or so down 'having a word' with the truck driver .

A similar thing happened to me crossing the Kingston Bridge heading east a few weeks ago.

Sitting at 50 in a 50 limit in moderately quiet traffic ,just as I passed the Royal, i was overtaken by a black Q7 doing 80+ and asked myself the same question regarding the police and their whereabouts , half a mile later my question was answered as Mr Q7 was sitting on the hard shoulder with plod parked behind him having a word.

Time and a place for driving with a heavy foot and that was neither.

Kenny

Last edited:
@Pontoneer. Or likely texting on his mobile.

Actually , that statement highlights that texting , or mobile phone use in general , can be as dangerous as drink driving .

I expect we'll see even more police activity as of next week when the drink drive limit is reduced .

A good few years ago I was on the M1 in roadworks. Was being careful as the speedo on that car at that time worked intermittently.

Lorry in front of me wobbled Lane 1 into Lane 2 and back, then did it again. As if by magic blue lights came on behind me and I was bunny hopped to see the lorry pulled.

Actually , that statement highlights that texting , or mobile phone use in general , can be as dangerous as drink driving .

I expect we'll see even more police activity as of next week when the drink drive limit is reduced .

Regrettably there's a section of society which is either dumb or arrogant, to whom the observance of the law is alien, even when their own safety is at risk; who drive motor vehicles without headlights displayed in fog, who sit determinedly in the centre lane for miles, who use mobile phones, who significantly break speed limits, who drink and drive, and so on.

Some appear in this forum from time to time.

There's little can be done about them as there are too many of them. One can only hope that when their luck runs out they don't take an innocent party with them.

Well done P, either a drunk driver, or a texter...or even someone with diabetes. Either way...he needed stopping.

There is a rather famous 20-years old clip taken from a traffic camera on a motorway bridge, showing g a Vectra (or was it a Cavalier?) changing lanes sharply and causing major mayham in its wake as cars and lorries pile into each other behind it.

The Vectra's driver carries on and disappears from the frame, presumably unaware to the carnage he (or she) caused...

There is a rather famous 20-years old clip taken from a traffic camera on a motorway bridge, showing g a Vectra (or was it a Cavalier?) changing lanes sharply and causing major mayham in its wake as cars and lorries pile into each other behind it.

The Vectra's driver carries on and disappears from the frame, presumably unaware to the carnage he (or she) caused...

Probably a Cavalier...but it was going to happen sooner or later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7cyQAE-L9A

The dodging about starts at 8 seconds (4 abreast), then the yellow lorry was going too fast.

Last edited:
My favourite is the overtaking lane hog, sitting at around 65mph who wouldn't move when flashed by the car behind. He then got ****y by stepping on his brakes a couple of time.

Such a sweet moment when the blue lights came on :thumb::bannana::D

Well done P, either a drunk driver, or a texter...or even someone with diabetes. Either way...he needed stopping.

Ditto, alot of people wouldnt actually put the effort in to pull over and talk to the coppers and just have got on with their busy little life's

Most are sitting in camera vans

Interestingly research has shown that even talking on a handsfree mobile is as distracting as having the same blood alcohol as the legal limit. I once took a handsfree call when I was coming off the M25 on the M1 south (a complicated junction requiring a trip on an A road and then a counter-intuitive turn) and ended up passing the junction for Luton airport going north without clocking that I'd gone the wrong way for about 10 miles. Quite sobering.

Agreed, the danger is not the holding of the phone, but the holding of the conversation...and that goes for talking to passengers too. But texting is in a whole different league!!

I'm a truck driver and I'm not standing up for this guy one bit I'm just giving another point of view, but given how crap our roads are it only takes a bump in the road or deep tram lines for u to get out of ur lane even more so if u have a heavy load on the trailer wants to go one way while ur steering the other way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom