• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A sense of sense of deja vu, baffles in petrol tank now gone.

gramey

Car
2003 R230 SL350 Tellurium silver
Well it seems my R230 is determined to take me down the same road as my R129.
Less than a week and I need to resolve an issue with the consumer battery and now the petrol tank baffles have decided to part company with the rest of it judging by the sounds coming from behind me.
The car is under a used car warranty from WMS, whoever they are , somehow I doubt a rattling fuel tank will be covered?

Worth looking through the bumf in the warranty book.
Some companies cover pretty much everything, some are just a scam.

The tank baffle problem is quite common on R230s, I think? Normally aftermarket warranties are basically breakdown cover i.e. something has to fail completely before it's covered, but it's definitely worth checking. Presumably the fix is a new tank?

The tank baffle problem is quite common on R230s, I think? Normally aftermarket warranties are basically breakdown cover i.e. something has to fail completely before it's covered, but it's definitely worth checking. Presumably the fix is a new tank?
Or a summer holiday to Stuttgart where a nice chap Uwe will repair it and give a 10 year warranty for €890. Or he'll travel here and do it for €1990.
Failing that I turn the stereo up! :)

Maybe worth looking for a tank in a breakers.

Or a summer holiday to Stuttgart where a nice chap Uwe will repair it

My brother-in-law is called Uwe and lives near Stuttgart! Unfortunately he doesn't mend Mercs though :)

Worth looking through the bumf in the warranty book.
Some companies cover pretty much everything, some are just a scam.
Ok so I've checked the warranty and on the fuel system it only covers the fuel pump, MAF & EGR, I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow and see what he says.

Well I spoke to Martin at Chiltern Motors who I bought the car from this morning and unlike many used car dealers he is the top bloke I thought he was, straight away he said didn't expect me to be driving around in a car that rattles. He's talking to the chap at Star Motors but I understand he's running a business so suggested he may wish to speak to this chap as well. I chatted to him this morning on the phone, his name is Basie, and he's confident that the repair he does, which he assures me is not the spring method touted on the forums, will be as good as new and guarantees his work. Hopefully I can get it sorted on my days off next week, anyway here's the link for anyone with this tank baffle issue, if the car goes this route I'll let you know how it goes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes...m=202253925253&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

o a quick update, Basie the chap advertising on ebay is coming up to mine on Thursday to do the fix for the baffle in my tank, he fancied a day out of London and for the extra over what I'd pay in petrol without the stress of trying to get down and across London I figured it worth the extra expense.

I know people will say so he should as I've only had the car 9 days now but a huge shout out to Martin Traynor at Chiltern Motors an absolute top bloke. No quibbling, no if's, ands or buts just how could he get it sorted for me to make it right. Not all his cars are shown on his website so if you're in the market for a used car could be worth a call to see what he's got. Fortunately he hadn't priced it up or I may have been tempted, he had a lovely all black CLK 55 AMG cabriolet he'd just taken in when I bought my car, probably more than I could afford anyway. :)

Well hopefully my car is all sorted out now, Bassie came to mine and worked his magic, he was very guarded about what he does, which I guess is understandable or word would soon get around and he would be out of that line of work. I know he drilled some holes in the tank but I couldn't see what else he did but I believe he inserted a couple of rods to secure the baffle before resealing the tank. What I definitely know is that there is no more clanking nose from the petrol tank and he guarantees the work for 7 years. A really nice guy so if anyone else suffers from this problem here's the link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes...rentrq:96dae23e1620ad790b200e54fffe3a55|iid:1

Glad it all worked out

Or a summer holiday to Stuttgart where a nice chap Uwe will repair it and give a 10 year warranty for €890. Or he'll travel here and do it for €1990.
Failing that I turn the stereo up! :)
If the R230 tank is a similar price to the R129 one , that isn't too bad .

I bought a good used tank for my R129 from Carl Burgess , initially thought it pricey at £400 for a used tank until I checked the price of new ones ! My tank developed a leak due to flexing because of vacuum build up thanks to the charcoal filter under the front wing being blocked . I did a temporary fix last year by fibreglassing the leak and drilling a small hole in the filler cap to vent the tank ; and am awaiting the better weather to change the tanks over this year . All the little pipes and hoses that come out of the bottom of the tank accounted for another £100 or so , and I still have to buy the filter as well ...

Well hopefully my car is all sorted out now, Bassie came to mine and worked his magic, he was very guarded about what he does, which I guess is understandable or word would soon get around and he would be out of that line of work. I know he drilled some holes in the tank but I couldn't see what else he did but I believe he inserted a couple of rods to secure the baffle before resealing the tank. What I definitely know is that there is no more clanking nose from the petrol tank and he guarantees the work for 7 years. A really nice guy so if anyone else suffers from this problem here's the link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes...rentrq:96dae23e1620ad790b200e54fffe3a55|iid:1
The tank shown in that eBay advert looks very much like my R129 one - I wonder if they are the same ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom