A45 AMG Press Release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dont talk to me about our mutual local dealer ! My New A Class thread says it all !

Sorry folks I didnt mean to take this off thread

Has anyone driven a new A Class yet?

I ask because I'm wondering if I'm the only one. The only one who thought the driving position as totally unacceptable :dk:

Gutted....before buying the E350, I actually wanted to buy an A250 Sport designed by AMG thingy and took one for an overnight test drive. Immediately I couldn't get comfortable and after 45 minutes in the car, it was beginning to hurt!

The problem? The pedals were too close to the seat which meant the steering wheel ended up being too far away (very Italian short legs, long arms style). This forced my knees upwards and my legs outwards in order to get the wheel in roughly the right place and it seems that the total lack of side support in the seat base was specifically designed like this to allow legs to push further outwards!

Even this A45 AMG has very small side bolsters on the base, unusual for a proper AMG and, whilst I'd hope the seat would improve the driving position, my fear is that the pedal position is so wrong by being set too far into the cabin, that no seat could correct it.

Funnily enough, this is not felt when sat in the new B Class, despite it being on the same chassis. I think this is becasue the seats are set higher in that car, making the pedal position seem entirely natural. If they utilised the same floorpan with no changes for the A Class, then simply lowering the seat will be why the pedal position seems so wrong in relation to the seat.

I really like a legs straight, arms bent driving position and this is highly unusual for a German car to be so poor as they're normally spot on (even a Polo has a great driving position!) - so, is it just me?

It's a real shame because other than this, I really liked the new A Class and would have bought it in a flash. The handling was great, the gearbox quick and responsive, it sounded nice and it went very well....and it was just the driving position that put me right off.

With the CLA also being on the same platform, I feel that will also be similarly challenging for me in this respect, which is a shame as I like the look of that too :mad:

Interesting comments Palmball and I have yet to drive ours but will check soon.
My wife tells me the seating in our AMG Sport is really comfortable as is the driving position. She is 5' 6" are you a lot more long legged ? Presumably the seats in the Engineered are different from the Sport ?
My wife agrees that the gearchange is great having had an MB auto for the past 3 years.
I am hearing nothing but praise from her about the car although we have only had it since Saturday.

Love it!

Press Release and technical data added to 1st post

Last edited:
Wasn't a big fan of A class but can't ignore 2 liter,4 cylinder supercharged AMG its classic.Like it

Last edited by a moderator:
When they going to put that engine in the C class

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not an AMG, the engine isn't built in Affalterbach ..

"An exclusive assembly line has been set up for the new AMG engine at the Mercedes-Benz engine production plant in Kölleda – where all BlueDIRECT four-cylinder engines are built for the A- and B-Class models."

21080277542089630832.jpg

that's a very big pipe at the front of the engine

ivandraganov said:
Wasn't a big fan of A class but can't ignore 2 liter,4 cylinder supercharged AMG its classic.Like it

The engine is not supercharged.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Heres the Aero package, rear wing is awful imo

dro1Ngmi.jpg

But I think the standard A45 its an awesome looking thing, would love to see it the the Blue that they do.

I think it's 45 years of AMG
It says AMG's 50th anniversary is in 2017, which would make it 46 rather than 45 :dk:

If that was it, they'd have to change the badging every year ;) :D

Its the smallest AMG, so it makes sense to call it 45 in their current model range:

A45 AMG
SLK55 AMG
SL65 AMG

It says AMG's 50th anniversary is in 2017, which would make it 46 rather than 45 :dk:

If that was it, they'd have to change the badging every year ;) :D

they announced the A45 AMG in 2012 ...

Autocar seem to think the engine will be built in Affalterbach ......

I initially agreed about the screen but it looks better in the flesh and is growing on me quite quickly.
£50k is a lot of money for a hot hatch but then isnt the 1M BMW over £40k ?

M135i is £30k list and £35k loaded which is a bargain in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom