Access PC remotely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
Someone showed me something at the beginning of this year. Can't remember what it is. Anyone recommendation as long it not trial ware? :D

+1 for logmein.

I use logmein ignition (about £16 per year) which is a bit snappier.

It was logmein I was thinking off when I typed gotomypc btw so that's a +1 from me too! :)

XP has a remote access thingy built in

Start - Programs - Accessories - Communications - Romete Desktop Connection.

XP has a remote access thingy built in

Start - Programs - Accessories - Communications - Romete Desktop Connection.

Yes, however only available on XP Pro...

Benefit of LogMeIn is that you don't need to worry about the security side of things. Enabling RDP access to your XP machine opens up a number of other issues for the un-initiated ;)

that won't work through a firewall, unless the ports are opened.

+1 for logmein.
You can try VNC as well (it's free!)

Cheers
Chris

that won't work through a firewall, unless the ports are opened.

True, depends what you want to do and where you need to access it from - i.e. what your company security policy is like.

My old company was VERY restrictive...

Thank everybody, at least I am on the right track. :D

GoToMyPC got Peter Jones as share holder.

Logmein also 30 days trial???

Last edited:
Thank everybody, at least I am on the right track. :D

GoToMyPC got Peter Jones as share holder.

Logmein also 30 days trial???

GoToMyPC & sister product GoToAssist are owned by Citrix. Don't know if he is or isn't a share holder, where did you get that info from? I know he appears on their website but didn't know if the relationship goes any further than that...

GoToMyPC & sister product GoToAssist are owned by Citrix. Don't know if he is or isn't a share holder, where did you get that info from? I know he appears on their website but didn't know if the relationship goes any further than that...

GoToAssist is still beta.

While getting to use LogMein, this reminds me of MIOnet while installing networked hard drive for a customer, anyone got more experience on this one? :D

Obviously the PC you want to access has to be on, am i correct?

Yes. I use Logmein (the free version); my home PC stays on all the time, online via broadband. I can then access it from anywhere anytime. Very useful if like me you have different 'lives' running on different PCs - I am a director of a charity in my spare time, and all the email traffic for that goes to my home PC - but this way I can still turn the emails around during the working day if I have time.

Here my investigation.

1. LogMeIn is best
2. GoToMyPC is spartan but also work but without the extras in LogMeIn. Only allow one download. If you try to download on another PC, a salesman will contact you.
3. GoToAssist does not work and still in beta.
4. Microsoft remote access available in Home Premium Vista but requires a server.

Tested logmein...wow it actually works well.:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom