Advice please (steering wheel & seat belts)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You have to be careful cleaning seat belts,pull it out all the way and if you can gets some string and tie it to what I used the coat hanger over the rear door,and then clean it,try not to put the belt back until it is dry.
I use those food bag clips that you can get from Ikea to clamp the belt out at full extension, they seem to work really well. 1626159054701.png

Just got a message back from Royal saying can't do the colour on my steering wheel . Will therefore have a go myself, so advice re product and technique needed. If it does not work out I can always go to plan C and get a cover!
Leather Cleaner Currently I am working my way through a bottle of this on the ML though not for any other reason than I was given it. It works really well but then there are so many leather cleaners out there that are also really good, so just find the one that you are happy to use. I've heard good things about Colourlock too. Colourlock leather repair, cleaning & conditioning products | Colourlock Leather Repair.
One more: Renapur Clean and Feed Leather Care Kit, 592 g : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive
I also bought 50 of these as they work well when new but don't last long: eBay magic eraser.

Test on an inconspicuous area (so right in the middle of the item!) Spray the cleaner onto the magic eraser, wipe it over the steering wheel, inspect it, feel queasy remembering the last time you ate after driving, rinse in a bowl of clean water and repeat. Gently dry the wheel with a microfibre by dabbing it. You don't really want to soak the leather so take your time, do a few passes over it letting it dry off a bit between them. If it's really bad, you may want to clean it, let it fully dry and then feed it then repeat a few days later. Feeding it when it's not fully clean isn't really a false economy in my eyes as it will help to soften the leather ready for cleaning again but also won't be such a harsh treatment.

I think I did 8 water changes on my ML steering wheel at the weekend after I collected the car. I did treat it quite poorly but it's not in great condition so I just wanted it clean:

IMG-3463.jpg

IMG-3462.jpg

I used a low concentration of surfex on mine and then treat it to some poor boys stuff. You are always welcome to give a try if you are over my side of town. I keep the surfex in the car in case of any bird droppings. I am sure you will do a good job !

I have the same colour wheel. MOT place wrecked the finish somehow - guessing they got oily crap on it and then cleaned with something too harsh.

Got dye made @ gliptone by sending gear knob for colour match. Looks like new.

Cleaned with paint prep wipes and applied with little sponge thingy.

Depends how much you want to spend. Royals are brillian,t but if you are just looking for a way to improve you existing wheel the there is an alternative. My wifes sl230 wheel was like yours so i did a bit of research and found Colourlock products .
They do all MB colours so I thought I'd give it a go and if it all went wrong I could still get it recovered.
Well the colour match was perfect and it was really easy to use just clean it with the cleaner and dabbing it on with the supplied sponge and drying it with a hair dryer. Although I say it myself the finish is amazing, lovely semi matt leather look, after three coats it was done. Took about 30 mins. My wheel was pretty much bald with no colour all over the top half (wifes rings). I did post a picture at the time.That was ayear ago and it still looks as good today. I'll try and find it.

Depends how much you want to spend. Royals are brillian,t but if you are just looking for a way to improve you existing wheel the there is an alternative. My wifes sl230 wheel was like yours so i did a bit of research and found Colourlock products .
They do all MB colours so I thought I'd give it a go and if it all went wrong I could still get it recovered.
Well the colour match was perfect and it was really easy to use just clean it with the cleaner and dabbing it on with the supplied sponge and drying it with a hair dryer. Although I say it myself the finish is amazing, lovely semi matt leather look, after three coats it was done. Took about 30 mins. My wheel was pretty much bald with no colour all over the top half (wifes rings). I did post a picture at the time.That was ayear ago and it still looks as good today. I'll try and find it.
That would be helpful. thanks. You say it is holding up? Royals say they can't retrim this colour

Just got a message back from Royal saying can't do the colour on my steering wheel.
I would find someone else then that can. The colour clearly exists for Mercedes to have fitted it in the first place, you just need a find a trimmer (or one with a supplier) that does. d:class have done a wheel for me in the past in a similar shade of grey.

Last edited:
Try a simple clean/wipe with wet wipes first.

Yes its fine, no wear or colour change at all in over a year. I am very very fussy and something of a sceptic, but I was amazed by the finish and have since used it on my CLS55 Kashmere beige wheel. Both of mine are coloured wheels which makes recovering with a match pretty difficult and I didnt want to change to black. I cant find the picture but will take a couple more if it stops raining but it just looks like a perfect wheel. You cant tell its been recoloured even close up.. My only caveat is to make sure you know the exact colour you need, which is not as easy as it seems as the wheel colour is not usually listed on the data sheet. ( The SL has cream leather but the steering wheel and dash are Oyster) And check the colour on a hidden piece when it arrives. My kashmere beige was too light but they sent me a second which was perfect.

Last edited:
Here I Hope are a few pics.The SL rim hasnt been cleaned for a year but a light clean removes any shine and returns it to semi matt. The CLS was only done a month or so ago. The cls had marks and scratches the SL was virtually bald and devoid of colour. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cls2.jpg
    Cls2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 11
  • SL1.jpg
    SL1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 12
  • SL2.jpg
    SL2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 9
  • SL3.jpg
    SL3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 11
another cls wheel shot

Attachments

• CLS4.jpg
    CLS4.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 7
Any thoughts on how I can improve this steering wheel? Failing that, any advice on decent steering wheel covers?
Also, best way to clean seat belts? They were light grey - now the grubbiest I have ever seen!

View attachment 115479
What ever you do don't use Renapur, it is thinned with linseed oil and is like vaseline, a friend used it on his leather interior it totally ruined it, not only did it stain the seats everytime you went round a bend or braked you slid off the seats. So you definitely don't want it on your steering wheel. I connalise leather interiors for a living you need to use Gliptone GT15 gentle cleaner to clean the steering wheel and re-colour it, the colour dye has a sealer built in. I have done many steering wheels and they come out as good as new.
Any problems or advice just send me a message and I will be happy to help.

Any thoughts on how I can improve this steering wheel? Failing that, any advice on decent steering wheel covers?
Also, best way to clean seat belts? They were light grey - now the grubbiest I have ever seen!

View attachment 115479
Use turtle wax leather conditioner on the wheel cover, and seat belts. Get any silicone liquid spray that we use as sunroof lubricant, and spray on the seat belts it'll keep them lubricated for faster operation. I get batches from 3M and Liqui Molly/Wurth. I use this silicone spray on all hinges, in all gaps, sunroof, windows, electronic curtains, on the dash, and around buttons in general. Where ever greese or oil is not required, silicone spray works as a protectant and lubricant.

What ever you do don't use Renapur, it is thinned with linseed oil and is like vaseline, a friend used it on his leather interior it totally ruined it, not only did it stain the seats everytime you went round a bend or braked you slid off the seats. So you definitely don't want it on your steering wheel. I connalise leather interiors for a living you need to use Gliptone GT15 gentle cleaner to clean the steering wheel and re-colour it, the colour dye has a sealer built in. I have done many steering wheels and they come out as good as new.
Best answer for the steering wheel cover.
*off topic, but if you may take a moment please. How do we patch up tears in leather, top grain?

I don’t think so buddy , it lacks the BIO bit . You might be able to pull out the strap and clamp it off to stop it retracting and put it into a container of wash powder and water .
Im sure some of the detailing experts will be along soon
That plenty of vids on youtube.

Every day is a school day. I have used the Renapur with great success but only the cleaner. I can well imaging what you say about the vaseline aspect, the small pot that we have really looks greasy and I wouldn't want to put that on my car anywhere.

Seat belts, g101 is the stuff, dilute it 25:1 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom