Advice wanted from W251 R Class / X164 GL owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is NGT 2.5 an easy retrofit? I wasn't aware of that :dk::doh:

Yes but only if the car doesn't have the Harmon Kardon upgrade, it then becomes a complete pain.

Some of the car's I'd shortlisted have since sold, I've also started looking at 09+ cars with the later Nav system but that adds quite a few more £K

Hi guys, just to chip in, getting about 1 7 m p g within London traffic driving, 25 on the run. Absolutely live my 420 great power, great comfort, can't fault it at all... Plenty of space, 100 l tank so whilst expensive to fill, not that frequent trips required.

Hi all, We had a GL320 CDI bought new November 2006. Had it for 5 years. Wrote a review on Whatcar website. Was great at towing. Got 26-28mpg around town and long journeys got 34.7mpg. But we did chip it from 226bhp to 252bhp. Torque from 510 to 600.
Gearbox was smooth as silk.
6 Months after purchase found out there was a problem with 420CDI models. The gearbox had trouble handling the 700+ torque so I heard from guy at our service department. The 320CDI had Artico man made leather. More durable although not the same as real leather. Didn't bother us.

During ownership faults were steering wheel not sleeping when ignition off so draining battery dead over night. Fixed with update. Battery replaced under warranty.

The engine started running out of fuel at 1/4 tank. Took to dealership 3 times. Eventually diagnosed as fuel filter reducing pressure by 70%. Replaced and all fine (a common problem on Land rovers).
Did used to get 650-700miles a tank (when I drove:)).

Had to replace the rear boot lock myself as over 5 years with dogs going everywhere with us the lock wore out. Great having auto boot opening for shorter people.

Every 10000 miles I used to put BG244 Diesel Treatment in the tank. They use it in the service schedule in USA dealerships.

Last edited:
As regards to the current security flaw in key less bmw cars like yours and mine. I have removed pin 16 from the diagnostic port. This port give 12v power all the time without needing the key in the car. So now If someone were to break in they have no power to operate a key clone to steal the car.

It's an F11. Seems very small after the GL.

As regards to the current security flaw in key less bmw cars like yours and mine. I have removed pin 16 from the diagnostic port. This port give 12v power all the time without needing the key in the car. So now If someone were to break in they have no power to operate a key clone to steal the car.

I thought the F series BMW's were immune to that type of theft attempt? I understood it only effectected cars such as the LCI E60's, the E90's and the original generation 1 series.

I've only got my E60 for another 3 weeks or so...

Hi guys, I am searching for a seatbelt kit and a passenger side airbag. I'm in australia and dont have the foggiest idea of the who what where of english recyclers/wreckers.

Mine is a late 07 gl320 and any help offered will be muchly appreciated!!

Thanks

Hi guys, I am searching for a seatbelt kit and a passenger side airbag. I'm in australia and dont have the foggiest idea of the who what where of english recyclers/wreckers.

Mine is a late 07 gl320 and any help offered will be muchly appreciated!!

Thanks

Start a new thread then.

hi there.

we are on our 2nd GL 420cdi....

all in all, a fantastic car; the V8 GL420 is so much rarer than the GL320 that we ran our first one for a year and sold it privately for exactly the same as what we paid for it...check autotrader and pistonheads; there are only around 20 or so for sale at any one time so if you see a good spec version with reasonable miles act fast or it shall be gone!
spec wise, our first one ( '08 black ) didn't have electric tailgate, rear view camera, heated rear seats, or xenons... new one does and more, and really wouldn't get another without these, most especially the xenons; i MUST state...DO NOT BUY ONE WITHOUT XENONS! the halogen headlamps are so poor i think they are dangerous with no exageration!
problem wise, first one did have the issue with the electronic plate that is located in the gearbox sump; makes gearchanges protracted and jerky; that was replaced under warranty, and MB know all about it but never did a recall prefering the defective cars to make themselves known, problem is it sometimes takes upto 60k miles,and costs about £1k inc the transmission oil and filter...apart from that not much.

engine wise, i had both of mine remapped on rolling road; takes power to near 400bhp, and torque to about 770, however, i did it as the smoothness and economy increased by a good bit and would recomend, but each to there own; (do not fit a cheap piggy back plug in box unless from somewhere like DTUK though, as they are horrific)...i do not drive hard as have other cars for that and use this for the family commute, but will say no 4x4 that size has the right to corner like the GL on the sport setting on the airmatic!

economywise, i travelled last year from Jersey back home to east coast of scotland with me, missus, 4 kids and luggage for 2 weeks; stopped once as car is soooo comfy (for us and the kids watching dvd's) and covered around 600 miles with between red and 1/4 tank fuel remaining...outstanding!

the best bit is that with the facelift coming out, the differances are slight i feel and does not overly date the 1st generation GL, so with so few GL's in the UK, i expect residuals to still remain strong, as it has an amazing road prescence and is highly desireable... would defo recommend the 420 as even rarer.

any questions, feel free to ask for an honest reply of having years of ownership with owning more than one!

cheers.

iain

Thanks Iain (355spiderguy).

The fact that you're on your second GL420 is a good sign for me. They're a relatively rare sight, especially in 420 guise.

My 5 series has now gone back and I'm still looking (although not in a great hurry). Spec is very important to me as is colour combination. I may well have to make some sacrifices but I echo your comments on spec in terms of what's on my wish list.

I am still considering the R Class too - watch this space...

hi there.

we are on our 2nd GL 420cdi....

all in all, a fantastic car; the V8 GL420 is so much rarer than the GL320 that we ran our first one for a year and sold it privately for exactly the same as what we paid for it...check autotrader and pistonheads; there are only around 20 or so for sale at any one time so if you see a good spec version with reasonable miles act fast or it shall be gone!
spec wise, our first one ( '08 black ) didn't have electric tailgate, rear view camera, heated rear seats, or xenons... new one does and more, and really wouldn't get another without these, most especially the xenons; i MUST state...DO NOT BUY ONE WITHOUT XENONS! the halogen headlamps are so poor i think they are dangerous with no exageration!
problem wise, first one did have the issue with the electronic plate that is located in the gearbox sump; makes gearchanges protracted and jerky; that was replaced under warranty, and MB know all about it but never did a recall prefering the defective cars to make themselves known, problem is it sometimes takes upto 60k miles,and costs about £1k inc the transmission oil and filter...apart from that not much.

engine wise, i had both of mine remapped on rolling road; takes power to near 400bhp, and torque to about 770, however, i did it as the smoothness and economy increased by a good bit and would recomend, but each to there own; (do not fit a cheap piggy back plug in box unless from somewhere like DTUK though, as they are horrific)...i do not drive hard as have other cars for that and use this for the family commute, but will say no 4x4 that size has the right to corner like the GL on the sport setting on the airmatic!

economywise, i travelled last year from Jersey back home to east coast of scotland with me, missus, 4 kids and luggage for 2 weeks; stopped once as car is soooo comfy (for us and the kids watching dvd's) and covered around 600 miles with between red and 1/4 tank fuel remaining...outstanding!

the best bit is that with the facelift coming out, the differances are slight i feel and does not overly date the 1st generation GL, so with so few GL's in the UK, i expect residuals to still remain strong, as it has an amazing road prescence and is highly desireable... would defo recommend the 420 as even rarer.

any questions, feel free to ask for an honest reply of having years of ownership with owning more than one!

cheers.

iain

Hi Iain, thats some good reading! Can you please elaborate on the gearbox slump issue you mentioned?

Ive got a 420cdi as well, absoultely love it! Main change i did on mine was changing over the head unit to an alpine ics x8. The spped, response, power this car has is absolutely amazing for something this size... Avantgarde feel free to ask for any info on it.

Avantgarde feel free to ask for any info on it.

Thanks, I'm still looking (although still not in a great hurry). As I've mentioned before, spec is very important to me as is colour combination. I may well have to make some sacrifices.

Didn't realise that Xenon wasn't standard. I was also suprised to find that, as standard the 320's don't have heated seats and have artico instead of leather!

That's way overpriced, it doesn't cost much more for one with less than half of that mileage.

I'd say that the 'natural' engine has to be the V8 CDi on the GL, I'm going for that engine but in the ML.

That's way overpriced, it doesn't cost much more for one with less than half of that mileage.

I'd say that the 'natural' engine has to be the V8 CDi on the GL, I'm going for that engine but in the ML.

Yes you're absolutely correct on that as an engine choice. My search is now completely pretty much entireley focussed on the GL420, although as always with these things I even started to look at some newer facelift '10 GL350's :devil:

Must stick to the budget as those are more like £35k-£40k at the moment and I'd rather not sink that much into a car at the moment.

Yes you're absolutely correct on that as an engine choice. My search is now completely pretty much entireley focussed on the GL420, although as always with these things I even started to look at some newer facelift '10 GL350's :devil:

Sounds like you do my trick, start with a budget of £20k and end up looking at brand new ML63 Bi-Turbos at £80k and trying to work out how much a month it'd work out at!

I passed a GL on the motorway today and they are a big motor, my wife thinks they look like a big van with windows, but then again she thinks our Discovery isn't boxy...

Sounds like you do my trick, start with a budget of £20k and end up looking at brand new ML63 Bi-Turbos at £80k and trying to work out how much a month it'd work out at!

Exactly - busted! Hey I have briefly considered the ML63 too - great minds...

SPX said:
I passed a GL on the motorway today and they are a big motor, my wife thinks they look like a big van with windows, but then ag:Dain she thinks our Discovery isn't boxy...

Hmmm that's pretty much what my wife thinks of them too, she refers to the GL as a tank :eek:

We almost bought a GL420 when swapping out of a previous Touareg... In the end we bought a much older FFRR 4.4 V8 for significantly less money and without the monthly finance payment that would have accompanied the acquisition of a GL.

This is a really interesting thread for me as now we have three under 5's I know our 7 seat E Class is on borrowed time before my Wife gets her way with either an R class or the GL; if we go for an R it will be the 320CDI but in the GL it's gotta be the V8.

They made an R63.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom