• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Aftermarket Carplay options for 2010 E-Class (S212) with NTG4

ChrisPDuck

Car
2006 W221 S600, 1983 VW T25/T3, 1984 Alfasud 1.5ti Green Cloverleaf, 2008 Chrysler 300C SRT Design
A couple of years ago I fitted an aftermarket Carplay box to my 2006 W221 (NTG3). It's a generic unit bought via AliExpress. It was cheap (~£185 delivered), but it was a doddle to fit and it works really well. It's wireless, and did not need me to replace the OEM display.

I'm now investigating suitable options for a 2010 E-Class S212 that has NTG4. There's a similar looking generic box for this unit too (e.g. Wireless CarPlay Android auto For Benz A B C E CL GL GLA GLC GLE CLA CLS SLK GLK W204 W207 W212 X204 W205 NTG4.0 NTG4.5 NTG5.0 - AliExpress 34), and it's even cheaper than my previous purchase.

However, there's one minor detail of the operation of the unit in the W221 that irks me occasionally, and I suspect this will be the same with this similar unit. If I'm playing audio, say from Spotify, and I need to do something in the original NTG interface (e.g. change the tone controls, or the fader, or set a specific aircon temperature etc), I have to exit the Carplay screen, and the moment I do that the audio stops. It resumes when I re-enter the Carplay screen. I can't decide whether this is simply a design 'oversight', or whether there's some reason why the Carplay audio couldn't stay active when switching away from the Carplay display.

So the reason for this post: Do they all do that, or is the NTG/Carplay integration any better in other units? Can anyone recommend a suitable unit that would give me access to the vehicle functions without stopping Carplay audio?

Bump.

Someone must have an aftermarket CarPlay unit fitted. Does the music continue when you switch back to the native Comand screens?

A couple of years ago I fitted an aftermarket Carplay box to my 2006 W221 (NTG3). It's a generic unit bought via AliExpress. It was cheap (~£185 delivered), but it was a doddle to fit and it works really well. It's wireless, and did not need me to replace the OEM display.

I'm now investigating suitable options for a 2010 E-Class S212 that has NTG4. There's a similar looking generic box for this unit too (e.g. Wireless CarPlay Android auto For Benz A B C E CL GL GLA GLC GLE CLA CLS SLK GLK W204 W207 W212 X204 W205 NTG4.0 NTG4.5 NTG5.0 - AliExpress 34), and it's even cheaper than my previous purchase.

However, there's one minor detail of the operation of the unit in the W221 that irks me occasionally, and I suspect this will be the same with this similar unit. If I'm playing audio, say from Spotify, and I need to do something in the original NTG interface (e.g. change the tone controls, or the fader, or set a specific aircon temperature etc), I have to exit the Carplay screen, and the moment I do that the audio stops. It resumes when I re-enter the Carplay screen. I can't decide whether this is simply a design 'oversight', or whether there's some reason why the Carplay audio couldn't stay active when switching away from the Carplay display.

So the reason for this post: Do they all do that, or is the NTG/Carplay integration any better in other units? Can anyone recommend a suitable unit that would give me access to the vehicle functions without stopping Carplay audio?

I have a 2010 W212 with (I think) NTG 2.5. I have an Integrated Automotive set up which allows you to toggle between the Android and Comand screens without losing the audio (the latter continues to come through via the Aux input).

It has other neat touches - for example, although the initial handshake is via Bluetooth, the actual audio connection is done via wifi so you get vastly better bandwith. This matters to me as I always listen to max quality Spotify and have also spent a lot on upgrading speakers.

The IA system isn't cheap but it's very good.

Thank you - that's very useful to know.

The unit I have in my W221 also uses Bluetooth to connect and wifi for the audio, and together with the Audison add-on amp the sound is extremely good. I've yet to experience the sound quality in the S212 (haven't collected it yet), but Carplay is a must IMO.

I'll look into the Integrated Automotive set, and now that I know that uninterrupted audio is possible I'll ask some specific questions of a few suppliers.

Numpty question, but given the number of times this must irk, is it really worth financial investment? Just curious

Numpty question, but given the number of times this must irk, is it really worth financial investment? Just curious

It's very rare that I need to go into the Comand pages to be honest - all the important stuff (maps, music, calls, even messages) is done in Carplay. But it irks enough for me to try and 'fix' it with my next install. I'm certainly considering the Integrated Automotive box as an option now, but if I can achieve the same performance for a third of the price then why not? I've asked the question of the sellers of a few different AliExpress units.

Last edited:
Oh wait, you were asking if it's really worth spending the extra if it only bothers me occasionally. Agreed - that's exactly what I'm thinking. I misunderstood your question to be "it must happen a lot, so why don't you just spend the extra?".

“Short arms, long pockets” here. I still work on the basis of relying on my iPhone for everything, with Bluetoothed audio into the car’s stereo and telephone system.

It’s crude but meets my needs for no cost at all.

Call me “Warren Buffett” if you will, but why spend money if you don’t have to? (WB: “value of compound interest.”)

“Short arms, long pockets” here. I still work on the basis of relying on my iPhone for everything, with Bluetoothed audio into the car’s stereo and telephone system.

It’s crude but meets my needs for no cost at all.

Call me “Warren Buffett” if you will, but why spend money if you don’t have to? (WB: “value of compound interest.”)
Yeah, I get that completely, but Carplay makes things so much better. The car I'm buying will likely have 14-year-old maps, whereas Carplay gives me a choice of up-to-date navigation apps. I tend to use Google maps, complete with its live hold-up displays, speed limit display (a recent update seems to have added my current speed next to that) and speed camera warnings. And everything can be controlled via the Comand control wheel, which is a lot easier than trying to poke the phone screen.

Interesting question - I expect the law doesn't allow me to poke the phone screen to select a Spotify playlist while I'm driving, but I'm assuming I'm allowed to do anything I like in Carplay with the Comand wheel while I'm driving, otherwise what's the point? Is that true?

Interesting question - I expect the law doesn't allow me to poke the phone screen to select a Spotify playlist while I'm driving, but I'm assuming I'm allowed to do anything I like in Carplay with the Comand wheel while I'm driving, otherwise what's the point? Is that true?
I Googled a bit, and although it's surprisingly difficult to get a definitive statement, actually it seems like you are allowed to poke the screen to select a Spotify playlist, as long as the phone is in a holder. But over and above all of this, you can be fined/prosecuted if the police think you're not driving carefully enough because your handsfree phone, or your Comand interface, is distracting you. Personally I feel more in control with my arm on the armrest, controlling the Comand wheel.

I Googled a bit, and although it's surprisingly difficult to get a definitive statement, actually it seems like you are allowed to poke the screen to select a Spotify playlist, as long as the phone is in a holder. But over and above all of this, you can be fined/prosecuted if the police think you're not driving carefully enough because your handsfree phone, or your Comand interface, is distracting you. Personally I feel more in control with my arm on the armrest, controlling the Comand wheel.
Interesting topic. It could be argued that anything which takes your eyes away, however slightly, from the road ahead is distracting you. Yet more and more manufacturers are replacing buttons/switches with touch screens which IMHO are dangerous?

Very true. I'm not a fan of having all the car functions controlled by screens. But to their credit Apple have created something fairly safe with Carplay, with only limited apps/features available while you're driving and a fairly intuitive UI. I have no experience with Android Auto, but I assume it has the same ethos.

Yeah, I get that completely, but Carplay makes things so much better. The car I'm buying will likely have 14-year-old maps, whereas Carplay gives me a choice of up-to-date navigation apps. I tend to use Google maps, complete with its live hold-up displays, speed limit display (a recent update seems to have added my current speed next to that) and speed camera warnings. And everything can be controlled via the Comand control wheel, which is a lot easier than trying to poke the phone screen.

For sure. My point is that I use Waze and maps on the phone and the verbal instructions instead of the display on the two occasions a month that I use maps.

Touch control? Why would I use that when everything is voice activated?

Touch control? Why would I use that when everything is voice activated?
Good point! iPhone user here, and I've never got into the habit of using voice control. Might be different once the AI features are rolled out, so the phone can understand me however I phrase the instruction, rather than me having to remember what I'm supposed to say.

Good point! iPhone user here, and I've never got into the habit of using voice control. Might be different once the AI features are rolled out, so the phone can understand me however I phrase the instruction, rather than me having to remember what I'm supposed to say.
From Friday:
Hey Siri: Navigate to Frenchay Road, Oxford
Hey Siri: play podcast Chris Harris and Friends.
Hey Siri: on Spotify play Ride of the Valkyries. (She works for BMW Oxford)
Hey Siri : navigate to home.
Hey Siri: Call SWMBO
Hey Siri: (Australian accent) Play My week in cars

Yeah, saw that, and since it didn’t seem to preclude any particular apps that can be used when the phone is in a holder, and it doesn’t seem to preclude touching the phone, I figured it’s ok to operate Spotify, for instance. That’s not really what I was expecting.

With the IA system, you drive everything via the Comand nudge wheel; it's a breeze. It allows you to toggle between a one app display, a two app display or the home menu page.

So you can have, for example, Google Maps taking 2/3 or the screen and, say Spotify taking up the rest. That way you can control your music whilst still following the navigation.

Want to switch to Audible? Podcasts? TalkSport? Easy; to clicks and you're back in the home screen.

I use voice control for Google Maps - it's very good.

Absolutely useless for Spotify but I have scores of playlists there so that doesn't matter.

I've never tried if for anything else as the nudgewheel interface is so intuitive but I'll have a play next time I'm in the car.

What really began to irk me was the fact that all the hire cars I used started to offer full Android mirroring yet I couldn't even BT into my own car without a (rather shitty) dongle.

And it's not just in my car; whenever I'm commuting or travelling I have my headphones on and hundreds of hours of music/pods/books and my fingertips.

Get home and I have a Google Chromecast Audio plugged into my amp and Monitor Audio speakers and the music flows.

In the kitchen, a Google assistant thing does radio duties.

Roll back two years and I was driving to Scotland. I'd lined up a series of podcasts to listen to but someone phoned me. Lost the podcast connection and couldn't get it back until I stopped 2 and a half hours later. Absolutely infuriating. That's what made my mind up.

Since I've had the IA, the whole driving experience is transformed whether it's me solo driving round town listening to Chris Stein's or David Byrne's autobiographies or driving down through France with the whole family thundering out all sorts of playlists.

In my eyes, the Comand it came with is the only bit of tech that really dates the 212. Everything else on that car is just as good as anything much newer. Android Auto (it also does the Apple thing) sorts that problem really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom