Aftermarket Head Unit - Advice Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can always fit a 3.5mm AUX jack to USB converter (needs to be powered and the jack has to be 4-contacts one), and have the USB / SD card functionality without altering the appearance.

Quite like the blue interior. Great car the E500 I loved mine and still miss the silence! As above just keep it original and get a used NTG1 correct for that year.

I take your points, gentlemen, but the £200 OE units on FleaBay are all NTG 1, and as I do not have the boot-mounted nav disc drive, the cost goes up to £300-350 for the hardware. Fitting costs for two items will be higher too.

Used NTG2.5 units from breakers start at about £400. I'd rather have the later system, and it won't cost all that much more overall. And it has the SD card slot without any faffing about...

Quite like the blue interior. Great car the E500 I loved mine and still miss the silence! As above just keep it original and get a used NTG1 correct for that year.

It was the blue interior, and the steering wheel, that clinched it for me.

If you want the aesthetics, get the OEM MB unit, I have just bought an E class with the COMAND, and having used it recently I am very happy with it, even the Navigation is good having used it on a long run yesterday..

Cheers

I have NTG2.5 in the diesel, and I'm quite happy with that as well.

And sorted - for £1.74!

It turned out, after a fair bit of trial and error, that it was the SD card slot software that was screwing everything up. Provided I didn't try to use that, the satnav, the iPod, the radio, the Bluetooth, the CD/DVD player, and probably the A2DP streaming from the iPhone, are all fine. I put the music on a USB stick, and it plays perfectly from there.

The £1.74? That's the cost of a USB extension cable from Fleabay, so I can keep the USB stick in the ashtray in case I want to get at it to add some more tracks.

Now I only need to keep my fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom