Airline flight cancellation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pretty sure unless it was a package deal he will only be entitle to a refund for his plane ticket.

Pretty sure unless it was a package deal he will only be entitle to a refund for his plane ticket.
Partially correct. Consequential losses, for example lost hotel bookings, cannot be claimed but there is statutory compensation payable for cancelled flights, not linked to the ticket price. See here:

The late Mrs E was in travel and dealt with this all the time:
  • As above, compensation for cancellation is set at various levels
  • The airline is responsible for providing alternative onward travel, making provision for accommodation and food, etc
  • If they don't you can claim back reasonable expenses incurred.
  • Consequential losses, such as hotels at the destination, are not covered and need to be claimed through travel insurance (which is why you should always travel with it)
For example BA did this to me in June coming back from Naples so I was able to claim back the extra night hotel, and extra day car hire (which is not usually covered). I had to buy another ticket, but got a refund of the cancelled one, plus the compensation due for a flight within Europe.

I noticed on a newspaper website today that flights were cancelled from Manchester due to the weather?!?

If only there was some way of knowing what the weather might do in the next few days...............................

Lost my denture with Hermes.(during lockdown) but they would not pay up Resolver succeeded promptly.

Spoke to number 1 son today. Seems like Ryan Air are happy to refund his return flight but are being obstructive about refunding the cancelled outbound flight :doh:

Wife and I were due to fly out from Bristol to Alicante on the 8th ( wednesday) . The Easyjet app advised us to arrive at the airport as usual, although flights had been suspended due to snow . Runway reopened about 11.00am . Got taxi to the airport and arrived around 14.30 , in plenty of time for our Easyjet flight at 17.35 . Told when reporting to the assisted boarding desk that our flight was still on schedule. ( incidentally the assisted boarding desk at the airports refurbished departure lounge is the first desk you come to . The wheelchairs are diagonally opposite , past all the other check in desks , and at the furthest point from the boarding gates , leaving you loads of people to get past). On getting to departure lounge for assisted boarding we checked again and confirmed flight schedule . Then the boarding time got later and later. We eventually boarded a plane which had been re-routed from Paris. An hour later we had to get back off the plane due to "number one engine shutting down just after number two engine started". Engineer go on board and could not resolve the problem. The Easyjet app asked if I would like to rebook a flight. Earliest option being tuesday , 6 days into our 7 day holiday:mad:. We were told an Easyjet rep would meet us back at the terminal . Unlike our flight it would appear that the rep took off! disappeared without trace. No assistance for onward travel, hotels or return journeys home .
Have tried several times to claim compensation which I believe should be £220 each. Easyjet fobbing me off trying to say the flight was cancelled due to weather , despite me pointing out that their scheduled 7.00am flight eventually took off not long before ours was due , and that our flight was aborted, not cancelled.Last attempt was phoning their call centre and after getting really wound up I asked why I could not speak to a manager , and where was the lady speaking from. India ! In the meantime, whilst talking to her I received an email refusing to refund my £70 taxi fares as "the transfers claimed for are a private arrangement booked before the disruption took place" . Their other email , rejecting my compensation claim even pointed to compensation ONLY being paid if you were delayed over 3 hours and includes most technical faults!!!!
I am writing this from the bottom of a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom