• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

All Season Tyres

farmer7

Car
E220d W213
Hello, just wondered if anyone could steer me in the right direction regarding tyre sizing.

My car is an W213 E220d with 245/40 19 front and 275/35 19 rear. Are there any safety implications having 245/40 19 front and back?

I ask as I've been very impressed with Michelin Cross Climate 2 on our other car and fancied putting a set on the E220d. Only problem is the 275/35 doesn't appear to be readily available in the UK. Whereas the 245/40 19 is readily available.

According to a tyre size calculator a 275/35 19 has 0.4% less circumference.

Obviously if it affects safety or any sensors, ABS, Cruise TPMS etc or even insurance I would have to look for an alternative.

I just wondered if anyone has done the same without issue.

There's no issue in doing what you suggested, in fact the 'staggered' wheels (where thevrear wheels are wider than the front ones) is an option on the sporty models, while other less-sporty variants have the same wheels all around. The additional benefit is thar you can rotate the tyres back-to-forth and vice versa every second service and ensure even tyre wear all around.

However, you'll likely need to replace the two rear wheels with narrower rims, of identical design to the front wheels, which can be costly. On the plus side, you should be able to sell the two redundant wider rims on eBay.

Oh, and if you change the size of the wheels and tyres at the rear, don't forget to notify your insurer.

You should be able to source those narrower front rims from EBay in the UK or in Germany at relatively low cost.

The world is full of people replacing “right sized” rims with larger wheels “because they look better.”

You don't need to of the sizes you fit were a factory option.

1. It's still a modification from the original spec (similar to retrofitting factory options), and so in my view it needs to be declared.

2. Personally, I declared every single change I've made to the car, and I then let the insurer decide. Better safe than sorry etc.

1. It's still a modification from the original spec (similar to retrofitting factory options), and so in my view it needs to be declared.

2. Personally, I declared every single change I've made to the car, and I then let the insurer decide. Better safe than sorry etc.
I declared my second set of standard Merc non-staggered alloys with winter tyres and it had no impact on premium.

I used to stick winter rims and tyres on my c63s and it didn't affect the premium for the 3 years I did that
A lot of folks recommend square set ups for winter tyres but I had a staggered set up and it was fine though a narrower rear tyre may have been preferable for snow driving

For the record, none of the declared retrofits to my W204 affected the premium either. However, it is still important to declare.

Sorry for the delayed reply, had a crazy day! I spoke to Michelin today, they said 275/35 19 will be available from tomorrow. I spoke with a local tyre shop who have confirmed they can order them now so crisis averted!

Thanks for the replies/suggestions anyway!

Sorry for the delayed reply, had a crazy day! I spoke to Michelin today, they said 275/35 19 will be available from tomorrow. I spoke with a local tyre shop who have confirmed they can order them now so crisis averted!

Thanks for the replies/suggestions anyway!
Good news. Which number did you call at Michelin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom