AMG wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JHS

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250d AMG Line Premium Plus S205 Estate
Having a short break in Italy at a small Agriturismo near Dicomano (christened Handjob for some reason) when I started to lose pressure in a rear wheel. This got steadily worse and on examination found that the wheel was cracked...........again!
Of course, there is no spare wheel as it is on runflats.
Found a wheel with the correct size and ET on Italian Ebay from a 2014 CLK (X204) which should fit my S205. Hope that it arrives by Friday!
First job when back at home is to source a jack and wheelbrace and the CLK wheel will serve as a spare. When the tyres are replaced they will not be runflats.

L
Having a short break in Italy at a small Agriturismo near Dicomano (christened Handjob for some reason) when I started to lose pressure in a rear wheel. This got steadily worse and on examination found that the wheel was cracked...........again!
Found a wheel with the correct size and ET on Italian Ebay from a 2014 CLK (X204) which should fit my S205. Hope that it arrives by Friday!
First job when back at home is to source a jack and wheelbrace and the CLK wheel will serve as a spare. When the tyres are replaced they will not be runflats.
Blimey, terrible timing. I hope the replacement wheel arrives without hitch.

Reactions: JHS

I don't think runflats are to blame - our S205 came on the factory Continentals (not runflat), and just has an inflation kit.

First job when back at home is to source a jack and wheelbrace and the CLK wheel will serve as a spare.

Pretty sure there isn't room for a full-size spare under the boot floor ... not even sure a space saver would fit?

I don't think runflats are to blame - our S205 came on the factory Continentals (not runflat), and just has an inflation kit.

Pretty sure there isn't room for a full-size spare under the boot floor ... not even sure a space saver would fit?
I really hate that crappy canister of gloop they give you these days. I've had to use it twice previously and on both occasions ended up calling recovery as it was about as efficient as aircon on a moped.
Luckily my 204 has a pram wheel spare and space under the floor for it. I also had a spare for my e91 Beemer, even though it had to travel in the boot as there is no spare wheel well on BMWs

It will live in the load area and when we take the dog, it will have a back seat. NEVER going out without a full size spare again!!

I really hate that crappy canister of gloop they give you these days. I've had to use it twice previously and on both occasions ended up calling recovery as it was about as efficient as aircon on a moped.
Luckily my 204 has a pram wheel spare and space under the floor for it. I also had a spare for my e91 Beemer, even though it had to travel in the boot as there is no spare wheel well on BMWs

Yep our S203 had a space saver, which we needed to use after hitting a pothole. No way the sealant would have worked on that.

I found this (non-MB) kit for the S205 which includes jack/wheelbrace/etc. Not cheap though, and unclear if it fits under the floor or not:

This is the second time an AMG wheel has cracked. Premium brand, thin as a cigarette paper.
Not just Merc; I don't know about these days, but when I had my 3 Series, the beemer forums were full of complaints that BMW alloys were apparently made of cheese and cracked with boring regularity. Although to be fair, part of the issue was probably due to the solid sidewalls of the run flats of the time.

The saga continues.
The Agriturismo owner wrote an email to the seller for me giving the address and a contact telephone number. Great, what can go wrong?
Email from seller, wheel will arrive today (yesterday) Fantastic.
Checked tracking details at 4pm as nothing had arrived and saw that it had been returned to the carrier base as address incorrect. Check the address and see that she had given the house number but had omitted the name of the road!!
Sent a message to seller asking him to call the number she had given.
Message back, number incorrect!! WTF???
Asked owner to confirm number.
She had typed 231 instead of 221!!!!!!!!
Sent correct number and now waiting for the next chapter.
Suspect that a trip to Florence is on the cards today!

AMG wheels. Mine crack if they see a pothole . I bought a spare set for my 219 cls55 on 19s nearly all of mine have been welded on the inner rim due to cracks. Current 218 19s seem a bit better ....or luckier.

The saga continues.
The Agriturismo owner wrote an email to the seller for me giving the address and a contact telephone number. Great, what can go wrong?
Email from seller, wheel will arrive today (yesterday) Fantastic.
Checked tracking details at 4pm as nothing had arrived and saw that it had been returned to the carrier base as address incorrect. Check the address and see that she had given the house number but had omitted the name of the road!!
Sent a message to seller asking him to call the number she had given.
Message back, number incorrect!! WTF???
Asked owner to confirm number.
She had typed 231 instead of 221!!!!!!!!
Sent correct number and now waiting for the next chapter.
Suspect that a trip to Florence is on the cards today!
Further update.
Delivery Monday.....when I am in Troyes on the way home. Will have to take it easy and inflate when required. If it gets too bad, Green Flag will be contacted as a last resort.
Owners partner has just come up with a local scrapyard and is making enquiries. Not holding out much hope of them having a 19" 8.5J ET52 5x112 knocking about though!

I have a full size spare wheel well in my E46 BMW...it also doubles up as a fish tank as normally its full of water. Least when i get a puncture i can put the wheel in & look for bubbles to find the puncture!:banana:😀

I have a full size spare wheel well in my E46 BMW...it also doubles up as a fish tank as normally its full of water. Least when i get a puncture i can put the wheel in & look for bubbles to find the puncture!:banana:😀
Mine was an E91 (Touring) No spare wheel well, but no in car plunge pool either!
So much for progress; that's 2 features that BMW took off the successor to the E46:p

Further update.
Wheel arrived, so went to a tyre shop to get the tyre transferred. They jacked the car up and found that both rear tyres had been worn down to the carcase on the inner edge!!!! Plenty of tread on the rest of the tyres.
The car always looked as if it had a lot of negative camber, so I had it checked a few weeks ago, and it came out in the green. Something not right here.
The tyre shop had no new19" 245 or 255 but a rummage around their used stock revealed 2 Michelin Pilot sport 4 S with sufficient tread for a few thousand miles, certainly more than enough to get us home.
Fitted, balanced for 100 euros for the two.
Not run flat but needs must.
Found the handling with front RF and rear non RF to be unaffected, even at French autoroute speeds.
Plan to replace the Michelin asap for non RF and when the fronts wear out they will also be replaced with non RF.IMG_20220923_160313796_MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom