Android auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys, I'm back.

I've had my Android screen fitted. 10.25 inch. Haven't played with it for long but from what I can gather it works in three ways.

1) Original NTG System.
So this is exactly what I had before, the same NTG system running on the new screen. You don't lose this system when you upgrade the screen. Works exactly as it did before. No touchscreen, Mercedes Navigation software, use the hardware controls in your car the same as before.

2) As an Android tablet for the car.
Run and download Android apps so full Google Maps or Waze, email, browser, media software like Netflix, iPlayer etc. There is an initial "skin" or "wrapper" so it gives the appearance of a modern Mercedes NTG/MBUX system. Hook your phone up via Bluetooth and also use it as a hotspot so that you have data enabled on the screen. Or insert a SIM card so you get data that way.

However, I'm not an Android phone user (this is my first ever Android device) so I'm still finding my way around things.

3) As an Apple CarPlay or Android Auto system.
This is actually done by going into the Android system and running a pre-installed app called 'Z-Link'. Connect your phone up via Bluetooth in advance, accept the prompt on your phone. After a few seconds you're presented with the Apple CarPlay interface (for me, as an iPhone user). This is the main way I'm going to use the screen, for now anyway. Until I get more accustomed to the Android system.

I paid £330 for the screen from AliExpress (fortunately no customs charges), and got the screen installed and fitted for £170.

So £500 complete.

IMG_0812.jpg

Looks good, I take it you are pleased? Very tempted to get one myself and watching YouTube it seems manageable to DIY fit.

Aliexpress has a few sellers of the same thing, can I ask who you bought from?

Looks good, I take it you are pleased? Very tempted to get one myself and watching YouTube it seems manageable to DIY fit.

Aliexpress has a few sellers of the same thing, can I ask who you bought from?
ThanksThere’s a few things I want to fix.

I want to change the boot up logo from saying “Android” to “Mercedes-Benz” or “AMG”. I’ve looked at YouTube videos but it doesn’t seem to work on my unit.

I also need to figure out how to get it to connect to my phone’s Bluetooth & Hotspot automatically immediately after starting it up.

And I want to figure out how Android runs two apps side by side at the same time.

But all this takes sitting in the car and playing with the screen while the engine is running. The screen itself has internal fans permanently spinning to keep it cool.

The unit I bought is the N8 RHD (Right Hand Drive), for Mercedes W204, 2011-2015, NTG 4.5.
It’s from the Mekede AliExpress Store.

294.0US $ 30% OFF|Top! 8 cores 8+128GB Android10.0 car GPS radio player for Mercedes benz C Class W204 2011 2013 NTG 4.5 carplay DSP 1920X720HD|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

There’s the N1, N8, N8 Pro, N8 Pro Max. Mine is the N8.
091E7B8B-D0BC-49BC-A913-900E63ECDDE5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom