ANPR - how much is checked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd trust Tescos more than the governement/police....

And for that point, you choose to go to Tesco and choose to use clubcard etc. You could choose to go to Sainsbury's heaven forbid. You don't have to use point cards so the decision to have your shopping habits is elective and like me you can pay cash too so there is no data stored linking you to any store. A system of government cameras isn't.

And for that point, you choose to go to Tesco and choose to use clubcard etc. You could choose to go to Sainsbury's heaven forbid. You don't have to use point cards so the decision to have your shopping habits is elective and like me you can pay cash too so there is no data stored linking you to any store. A system of government cameras isn't.

Exactly.

(We shop at Sainsburys as it happens and use a Nectar card:) )

180 hits IS a hell of a lot, which is why ANPR is such a good tool saving the taxpayer a lot of money over a year.
Out of the 180 there were effectively 34 found to be reportable. That's 18%.

Fantastic Policing, a much better detection than would have been possible without ANPR.

Exactly.

(We shop at Sainsburys as it happens and use a Nectar card:) )

So your habits are stored somewhere, but thats at YOUR discretion putting YOU in control over who monitors what YOU DO, not STATE imposed surveillance.

That's like saying you want ANPR to be there when you are not doing anything wrong, but on the odd occasion when whatever you do might one day turn out to be a bit sticky, then please switch it off.

I personally don't care if my car is seen driving along the M1 and the next day on the A1, so what? Who cares.

If Portugese police had anpr at the time Madelaine McCann went missing then maybe the poor little girl might have been home safe by now.

To not use such a valuable tool now that it is available would be foolish.

Because all the registration numbers are retained on file for so long. So, any car that passed along 'x' road after whatever time could be traced and the driver / owner spoken to. Process of elimination.

On the other side of things, let's say somebody accused you of something and you claimed that you were innocent, the anpr record would act in your favour as a silent witness to back up your story.

That's like saying you want ANPR to be there when you are not doing anything wrong, but on the odd occasion when whatever you do might one day turn out to be a bit sticky, then please switch it off.

I personally don't care if my car is seen driving along the M1 and the next day on the A1, so what? Who cares.

One of the "I've got nothing to hide" attitude. Fair enough but its the start of a slippery slope, and where does it end, where is the line between whats acceptable in terms of surveillance and what isn't? Who draws it, us or the state. What you find acceptable clearly isn't acceptable to Nick or myself. Are we in a minority or a silent majority. I think surveillance, without going political, is now a major issue in todays society. Yes ANPR has benefits, but @ what cost?

Technology, like all other things can be abused, and I am genuinely concerned that technology far from enhancing our lives may one day become a tool of suppression. Hopefully I am wrong.

If Portugese police had anpr at the time Madelaine McCann went missing then maybe the poor little girl might have been home safe by now

Pure conjecture, can you back that statement up.

Last edited:
Because all the registration numbers are retained on file for so long. So, any car that passed along 'x' road after whatever time could be traced and the driver / owner spoken to. Process of elimination.

Would not bright crooks take back roads where there are no anpr camera?

Or just use a car with fake plates?

On the other side of things, let's say somebody accused you of something and you claimed that you were innocent, the anpr record would act in your favour as a silent witness to back up your story.

Aren't we all innocent until proven guilty anyway?

Would not bright crooks take back roads where there are no anpr camera?

Or just use a car with fake plates?

Fake plates, a device of a criminal. Usually fake plates come from stolen cars or are stolen so the ANPR would show that up, but unless its monitored actively then it just records it and sends out an NIP to the address of the regi plate. I'd rather rely on a human policeman smelling a rat. As with many things these days it seems the majority are punished.

Aren't we all innocent until proven guilty anyway?

Yes, and you shouldn't have to prove it. A system like an Oyster card actually really worries me, as it stores a) where you travelled to and from and when b) who you are and therefore your movements.

But it's 90p a journey as opposed to £2 ....

As i'm not Bin Laden , i have no issues with it personally.

If they wanna watch me go from Hampton to Teddington , let them ...

But it's 90p a journey as opposed to £2 ....

As i'm not Bin Laden , i have no issues with it personally.

If they wanna watch me go from Hampton to Teddington , let them ...

Neither am I, but I'd pay the £2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom