Anyone using, or got a view on, Hills Ultratek number plates ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that I'd like the aluminium or pressed aluminium plates, but I like the OEM look plates with MB Brooklands marked onto them. It's a shame, because the MB plates began to delaminate/allow water in after two years.

On that note... and a slight tangent to the thread, does anyone know how to identify the original supplying dealer when new?

I think that I'd like the aluminium or pressed aluminium plates, but I like the OEM look plates with MB Brooklands marked onto them. It's a shame, because the MB plates began to delaminate/allow water in after two years.

On that note... and a slight tangent to the thread, does anyone know how to identify the original supplying dealer when new?
Were they fixed with screws? They delaminate relatively quickly when drilled and screwed, as it separates the layers. When fitted in a frame they should last many years.

Yes if you’re buying new plates, ask for a set of the Wurth frames - no drilling required, guaranteed to fit perfectly and straight first time, and the plates won’t delaminate either.

If you do drill them, put some masking tape over the front before you drill your holes, then apply some clear lacquer to the holes, before removing the tape then you can screw them. The lacquer will help to help seal the holes and prevent water from getting between the layers :thumb:

I wonder how old those are? I’ve had loads of sets from that actual dealer in the same frames, and have never had a plate delaminate even once - maybe a bad batch?

Think they were ‘Bestplate’ blanks, only difference I had no ‘GB’/Euro emblem :thumb:

I wonder how old those are? I’ve had loads of sets from that actual dealer in the same frames, and have never had a plate delaminate even once - maybe a bad batch?

Think they were ‘Bestplate’ blanks, only difference I had no ‘GB’/Euro emblem :thumb:

I purchased them in September 2017

I’d ask them about replacements, I know they’re only number plates but there’s supposed to be a minimum of 2 years on most parts - you’d not expect them to go like that in less than 3 years anyhow. I’ve never had it happen to mine, some I had for 5+ years etc.

On the subject of 3D number plates, this posted on another forum yesterday:
No mention of the above on DVLA website , and I can't see the DVLA mentioning a specific company.

To give Halfords their due, their markings are practically non-existent by comparison to most.

I order plates online from a firm, they only show the bare minimum (their post code) in tiny font. You can only see it from up close.

I’d ask them about replacements, I know they’re only number plates but there’s supposed to be a minimum of 2 years on most parts - you’d not expect them to go like that in less than 3 years anyhow. I’ve never had it happen to mine, some I had for 5+ years etc.
I never followed up on this. I mentioned this when so went to purchase some small parts and MB Brooklands replaced it for free. 👍

If you are looking for 3D, 4D or gel plates, try Rolaplates, once ordered, email copies of your documents

Chico did you not read the link above,, by spiky miky 3 D are now band unless you want a fine ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom