Apologies, VIN info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hairy1305

Car
C123 230CE, Ford Ranger Wildtrak, VW UP, W108 coming.
Hi guys,
I've been trying to get the build date on my 1983 230CE - I am sure it is Dec 1982, which would render it tax free this year, but I cna't find the info out anywhere. I've tried all the usual VIN Decoders but nothing.
Any ideas?

WDB12324322017535

Thanks in advance for any assistace, or a steer.

P

Thanks Optimis, but it’s the Manufacture year I am struggling with. I am sure it’s 1982.

Hi guys,
I've been trying to get the build date on my 1983 230CE - I am sure it is Dec 1982, which would render it tax free this year, but I cna't find the info out anywhere. I've tried all the usual VIN Decoders but nothing.
Any ideas?

WDB12324322017535

Thanks in advance for any assistace, or a steer.

P
Well this web page seems to imply that you can't actually get the build date from the VIN and that would likely need to go through a dealer.

Ah, I was told you could, which is probably my mistake.

OK, will pop to the local dealers and ask them to provide some proof to the gov.

Cheers

I can get a delivery date for mine.
Sales designation: C 250 d
Order number: 0 6 537 22395
Delivery date: 23 06 2016
Market: AG,Europe

Ok put your reg number in the box https://cartaxcheck.co.uk/ And click full check, its free
I did think to tell the OP that but it only gives the date of first registration which for me is Jan 2017. My delivery date was June 2016, presumably to the dealer. That would logically mean a build date of 2016.
Maybe the date of first reg is sufficient for the OP?

Mercedes 'Delivery date' is the date the car rolled off the production line..

Would the first day of taxation come first ? Gov site will tell op if his car is tax exempt or not .i need reg for that

According to this article it is a cars first registration date that is relevant for historic status (no MOT required).

Road tax exemption can be requested as long as your car was first registered 40 years ago on the 1st of January. I assume the important date is the one on the cars V5 document.

Also according to the above article you can only go road 'tax free' from the first day of April, so the first 3 months of a 40 year old cars 'historic' life will still require tax to be paid.

Last edited:
Would the first day of taxation come first ? Gov site will tell op if his car is tax exempt or not .i need reg for that
Sorry Optimus, XAU361Y

Just saw Registered 05 Jan 1983, so I think I have to wait until next year, as, iirc, it has to be on 1/1/83 or before to be accepted, but happy to be wrong here, obvs!

Thanks all btw.

Hairy1305 You have one of the best Mercedes ever made. The W123 was a world winer.I have had a good few Mercs, but none built like the W123 . That was my first Mercedes .

Its based on date of first registration.....not build date......

Hairy1305 You have one of the best Mercedes ever made. The W123 was a world winer.I have had a good few Mercs, but none built like the W123 . That was my first Mercedes .
Thanks Optimus,

I love it, really do. Wife not fully bought into it, as I bought it blind drunk on an auction site, but I don’t think I’ll ever sell it.

Sorry Optimus, XAU361Y

Just saw Registered 05 Jan 1983, so I think I have to wait until next year, as, iirc, it has to be on 1/1/83 or before to be accepted, but happy to be wrong here, obvs!

Thanks all btw.
Check the Government website (the logical place to go?) - it says this:

"If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered before 8 January 1983, you can still apply to stop paying vehicle tax."

All great news peeps, so I have popped my application into the post office, whom said they send all data overnight. Hopefully a nice little repayment as well! Who knows, the moon also might be made of cheese.

Hairy 1305 Good luck with your car .One of the best mercedes ever made - W123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom