Armoured W126

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
that's been on car and classic for a long time...Id want to see some bullet holes somewhere!!

Bullet holes? If it has any it is obviously not fit for purpose!
2 previous owners... what happened to them? Bullet holes...
How many gallons to the mile, I wonder?
£25k or £20k overpriced...IMHO

You want bullet holes; you bring it round my place........:):)

How would you test the armouring on the test drive?

I once took a W210 out for a test and checked all the options were working, then said to the vendor, there was one last thing to check...The airbags...

I think there's 1 number too many on that price ! - maybe its the zero at the end ? !
What's the mpg on an armoured vehicle ?

Armoured cars hold their value extremely well, also depends on the grade of armour.

Some of the W126's can have really good stuff on them, so they are still used quite often. I'm sure I saw a photo of the president of Iran getting out of one some time ago. You could see the massive plate on the underside of the car from the camera angle.

I cant remember what level B6 means, but it might be Kalashnikov(sp?) proof. Handy for going down Tescos's, lol.

Its not really very related to the normal value of the model of car.

As for MPG, it didnt matter to the people who owned or rode in these. I met a chauffeur who used to drive these for an embassy in London, he said you could definitely feel the weight. But apparently the car still shifted pretty well. He said the most annoying thing about it was that if you opened a window an alarm went off..

I cant remember what level B6 means

B6 means 7.62 NATO round, the armour should be around 1/4" thick, it doesnt state at what angle it achieved B6, it could be 30 degrees in which case it has thin light armour and is designed to deflect, obviously a 90 degre hit has a lot more force it needs to withstand,

Armoured Mercedes G Wagon - Armoured Vehicles - L.Jackson & Co. Ex MOD and NATO Vehicles Plant and Equipment

4 tonnes of armoured G-500 that have seen service overseas and at much less money, circa £10k

These could be the same G500s that Withams sold a few years back, there are no interior shots here, the ones withams were selling where knackered inside so they could be these same ones

Steering wheel is in front of the passenger seat. Always a problem for regularly built people.

I did a bit of googling and found this for armor levels.

Protection class
Weapon / ammunition
Range (m)
Velocity (m/s)
B2
9mm
B3
.357 Magnum
B4
.44 Magnum
B4+
AK 47 - 7.62 x 39mm steel core
B5
5.56 Nato - 5.56 x 45 SS109
B6
7.62 Nato - 7.62 x 51 ball
B6+
5.56 Nato - 5.56 x 45 M193
B7
7.62 Nato - 7.62 x 51 AP
SG
Shotgun 12 / 70, solid slug

B6 means 7.62 NATO round, the armour should be around 1/4" thick, it doesnt state at what angle it achieved B6, it could be 30 degrees in which case it has thin light armour and is designed to deflect, obviously a 90 degre hit has a lot more force it needs to withstand,

These could be the same G500s that Withams sold a few years back, there are no interior shots here, the ones withams were selling where knackered inside so they could be these same ones

I thought my upholstery business might be able to turn a profit on these if all they really needed was a new interior and some TLC so I spoke to L Jackson and Co this morning.
They claim to have sourced them direct from the MOD, they've all had a respray and the interiors are ok......price each as agreed with MOD £85k plus VAT!

I don't see why the prices of these are a surprise. They are exhorbitant if all you want is the bragging rights of having a bullet proof car but if you really live with the risk of being shot then they are all total bargains, surely.

I suppose thats why they don't depreciate like their normal variants, they are a tool with a use that just 'is what it is'.
W126's are still for sale alongside later models and G-wagens all at high prices or POA on armoured vehicle dealer sites I saw a while ago. There are less of the 126 model but they still seem to be around.

If you need one of these, you need one. My anecdotal contribution relates to what can happen in an ordinary vehicle attacked with a handgun by Nigerian robbers. A Toyota Landcruiser Amazon in which I often travelled was hit by two bullets from a medium-sized unidentified handgun (police removed slugs). One bullet went into the back door below window glass level and was deflected with enough force to penetrate the front headlining just a few inches off being in line with the driver. Another hit the rear wheel arch but was stopped by the internal second skin. Amazons are pretty tough but a rear passenger could have been severely damaged by the bullet passing through the back door. Assumption is that armouring would have save a lot of driver trauma. The flipside in African civil war situations is that I have been held up on a daily basis (except Sundays) at armed militia checkpoints and there was always somebody with an RPG or occasionally a heavy machinegun on a pickup in the background. Keep the W126 for European use. There used to be a few Daimler Ferrets around in the ex-military trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom