At 13mpg - this starts to hurt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Filled up @ 155.9p/litre yesterday locally (Momentum 99), have seen plenty of garages under £1.50 a litre for regular E10 over the last few days.

Thinking about that, the 10% ethanol thing could actually be good news in some respects - a little less reliance on oil/gasoline! :)

This is getting too off topic....but just to say that Mercedes would not say its Ok if it not Ok....and you probably wont notice the power loss on a powerful car in normal driving. BOT.
I don’t have the physical manual with me but the online manual says this:

“In emergencies, if the recommended fuel is not available, you may also use regular unleaded petrol with an octane rating of 91 RON. This may reduce engine performance and increase fuel consumption. Avoid driving at full throttle and sudden acceleration. Never refuel using fuel with a lower RON.”

I’m no expert on fuel octane ratings but I believe that the reference to 91 RON will be a reference North America where the octane rating of fuel is displayed at the pumps in the form of AKI - or Anti-Knock Index - and 91 AKI is equivalent to 95 RON in the UK and Europe.

Using regular unleaded should not immediately cause the engine to fail, however the manual is clear that in emergencies when the recommended fuel is not available, then a lower octane fuel can be used with consequences & risks.

However what has been discussed in this thread is not about limping in an emergency situation, it’s about deliberately and routinely running on lower octane fuel on a high performance car to save money. That’s the opposite of what the manual is suggesting above.

As well as losing the saving through increased fuel consumption due to retarding the ignition and regular unleaded being E10, it means that routinely using it in a high performance car introduces unnecessary risk. Mercedes say that WOT and sudden acceleration should be avoided.

Vive la difference.

Filled up @ 155.9p/litre yesterday locally (Momentum 99), have seen plenty of garages under £1.50 a litre for regular E10 over the last few days.

Thinking about that, the 10% ethanol thing could actually be good news in some respects - a little less reliance on oil/gasoline! :)
No way I'm putting 10% Ethanol in my CLS55.

Tonight's prices
Momentum £1,68.9
V-power £1,78.9
Diesel £1,60.9
E10 £1,58.9
5p on everything since dinner
I suppose putin will get the blame for this
I think not

No way I'm putting 10% Ethanol in my CLS55.
Sorry, I don’t think I worded that very well!

What I meant was for the general car driving population who run on 95 RON / E10. 10% less dependence on oil-based petroleum :)

Tonight's prices
Momentum £1,68.9
V-power £1,78.9
Diesel £1,60.9
E10 £1,58.9
5p on everything since dinner
I suppose putin will get the blame for this
I think not
Will be filling up with 99 tomorrow, but won't be checking the price. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm no where near heanor ,I filled her up at the local shell after a delivery earlier £173.9 v-power £68 from half 😉

Filled up with Momentum at my local Tesco this morning. £162.9 ltr. 95 Ron selling at £155 .9. Diesel still in short supply it appears.

I'm no where near heanor ,I filled her up at the local shell after a delivery earlier £173.9 v-power £68 from half 😉
Not sure where you are in Notts, but I topped up at Tesco Long Eaton (admittedly, Derbyshire) earlier, £1.60.9 per/litre, no shortage here. Been in the city centre today and **** Turpin and friends (Shell) at Wollaton were advertising sub-£1.70 per/litre costs for V-Power (only just though).

I'm north notts
Its full now so it'll be ok for a bit 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom