Auto door locking turned on or off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tafia

Car
Mercedes C180 1.6 petrol auto
Hi folks,

I have ( I had thought) disabled the auto door locking feature on my 2012 C Class in case I get locked out. Book says it locks automatically if the wheels are turning and the engine is running.

I turned it off at the start of my last trip by holding the 'unlock' button until I heard a beep.

However when I arrived home later I thought I heard the doors unlock when I removed the key. I haven't driven it since.

Does the auto lock default to on each time or can it be set to never lock unless a lock button is pressed?

Thanks.

T.

Tafia said:
Hi folks, I have ( I had thought) disabled the auto door locking feature on my 2012 C Class in case I get locked out. Book says it locks automatically if the wheels are turning and the engine is running. I turned it off at the start of my last trip by holding the 'unlock' button until I heard a beep. However when I arrived home later I thought I heard the doors unlock when I removed the key. I haven't driven it since. Does the auto lock default to on each time or can it be set to never lock unless a lock button is pressed? Thanks. T.

I have no idea , but can't imagine so. My car locking system was deactivated when I bought it and I turned it on after about 4 months when I realised it wasn't locking.

It locks when your car goes above 20kmh I think (12mph) so in what scenario is your car wheels turning, engine running but you're not in the car and it's not in park? :dk:

Just curious. Big bonus feature to me to help avoid carjackings.

can you not access the convenience menu via the steering wheel on your c class. the e class gives you the option to turn auto door lock on/off ...

It was on the dashboard menu in my S203 ; I too hate being involuntarily locked in , which could hinder rescuers in the event of a crash , I know it ought to unlock , but what if that fails due to something that happens in the crash ?

It was on the dashboard menu in my S203 ; I too hate being involuntarily locked in , which could hinder rescuers in the event of a crash , I know it ought to unlock , but what if that fails due to something that happens in the crash ?

They'd put the window through if it's not already gone and unlock from the inside, if the door doesn't unlock by itself. The doors unlocking is triggered by pre-safe, so they'd already be unlocked before you've crashed, probably before any airbags deploy as they fire on impact. So all very unlikely, but car jacking, much more likely I'd say.

The door doesn't "deadbolt" like it does when you lock it with the fob. So you can still open it from the inside obviously.

When locked with the fob, the door won't open even from the inside.

Indeed Fire & Rescue would put a window through , but what about a pedestrian bystander with no tools or implements ( not even a stone or brick ) ....

Also , pre-safe would indeed trigger on emergency braking or other detected situations , but might not be of much help if the vehicle was T-boned at a junction .

I suppose it depends where you live , but I think car crashes are an awful lot more common than car-jackings .

I do know first hand of several instances of people being trapped in burning cars and bystanders unable to get into them , before heat became an issue , because of locked doors .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom