• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Auto gearbox settings on my 2004 E55

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
Sorry all - I seem to be constantly asking asking for opinions or info!!!

I need to get a few things checked out at MB on my car and would like a bit of info first. As you will all know the auto gearbox has 3 main settings, either 'C' (comfort), 'S' (sport) and 'M' (manual). From reading the ownwers manual it says that it should generally be left in 'S', which I though was a little surprising but.....

Anyway I do not really notice any difference between the 'C' and 'S' settings. The car goes like stink in both!!:D I know its an AMG so thought maybe the difference could be hardly noticeable but If anything I would say it holds the gears a little longer in 'C', which just doesn't seem right!?

I have read Oli's thread on here Airmatic in Sport 2 and gearbox in S which suggests there should be a fairly significant difference. I am starting to wonder whether my car has lost some of it's settings as I also do not seem to have the sport settings on the suspension (see my other thread).

Does anyone know if it is possible for the settings to go missing?! And also could the gearbox settings be related or connected to the suspension settings?

Thanks

Si, S mode will hold the gears for longer, try this, it will reset the adaptive gear and throttle response and enable the car to learn your driving style again (copied from MBWorld) but it works a treat.

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

then drive how you like to drive it and it should feel like a new car again!

regards

Hi Simon, C mode generally pulls off in second gear and changes up earlier while not under heavy load, S mode holds onto gears longer and pulls off in 1st, I think this is right anyway although not 100% sure.

Si, S mode will hold the gears for longer, try this, it will reset the adaptive gear and throttle response and enable the car to learn your driving style again (copied from MBWorld) but it works a treat.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

regards

EXCELLENT - Thanks Alps - sounds like that may do the trick, I will give it a go in next couple of days. Can't try tomorrow unfortunately as will be mostly in town.

Hi Simon, C mode generally pulls off in second gear and changes up earlier while not under heavy load, S mode holds onto gears longer and pulls off in 1st, I think this is right anyway although not 100% sure.

Hi Oli - That sounds totally sensible, but like I said I can't notice much if any difference. I will try what Alps has suggested, sounds like a good starting point.

Thanks

I've done what Alps mentioned to my car previously and it does work well.

I've done what Alps mentioned to my car previously and it does work well.

Thanks Oli - I'm going to do the reset and see what happens.

BTW where are you in Surrey?

regards

Excellent - I did this today and can't believe what difference it has made. I thought I must have lost all my sensations before, as I could feel no appreciable difference between the Comfort and Sport modes, BUT now after this reset there is a massive difference!! Before both my settings were probably somewhere between the two (actually closer to the Sport mode) but now in Comfort it is clear the car pulls away in a higher gear and generally feels reasonably sedate (if there is such a feeling in an E55), and in Sport..... Well its just QUICK!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom