Back to the fold E class buying tips please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It looks like you've been a target of Internet terrorism. ....

Nasty that stuff - are you expecting to die of Covid19 any minute too ? They talk about that on the Interweb too.

Have you had lots of issues with the Volvo? An endless stream ? Because if you research them on the Web you can find out what goes wrong with them.

If you haven't, well, that illustrates my point.... that cars, if well bought, are generally reliable. Don't get too scared of what goes wrong. Just don't buy a car for Thruppence.

I'll let someone else talk about Oil Cooler seal failure from their experience.
I know what you mean looking online, you are full of excitement at the thought of a new car, then look at a few forums and come away paranoid and depressed, just found an 06 C220 cdi sport estate in my poor mans price range so think the problems where on the early W203 so it should be pretty sorted, just hope the guy buying my Volvo shows up with the cash as arranged before someone else nabs it. Will have to wait for my E Class until I get more funds, but at least I will be back in a Mercedes again

There's nothing wrong with a c class. I've had 3. I think you will love it. My second one was a 18 reg 250d sport estate. I should have kept it but went for something quicker. Audi s3. Only kept it a couple of months and went back to a c class. You'll love it

Update time, I have narrowed it down to a choice of two, one is a 2006 c220 cdi sport estate, 145000 for £1500 from a dealer in London, the other a 2005 E270 estate 155000 miles for £1600 both leather interior and a good mot history. I'm leaning towards the C class due to the sometimes dodgy brakes on the e class plus the e class has an abs light on, the dealer says its just a sensor 40 quid on Ebay, so from my thread I wanted an e class, so anyone who has had experience with the abs light is it a sign of doom for the braking system or usually an easy sensor swap fix. I will be buying the I car soft mb2 code reader once I buy the car so should be able to clear codes etc.

Your collective thoughts and input sought please you lovely peeps

You would think that of it was an easy fix, the seller would have sorted it out before selling the car.

It could be as simple as a £40 wheel sensor off eBay (plus fitting), or it could be something else. If you scan the car with STAR or iCarsoft you'll get a better idea. But until the wheel sensor is replaced, you can't be 100% sure.

Personally I would only buy a car with a fault if I could negotiate a significant discount off the price I would have been willing to pay if the car didn't have the fault, so that I have some money set-aside for in case the fault turns-out to be a bigger issue than originally envisioned.

As for the W203, I had one for 9 years and it was a great car.

I think that at that sort of mileage you want to check the suspension carefully, certainly the dampers but also springs (broken springs are common) and other components e.g. bushes, drop links, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc.

Nothing to worry about, it's all normal wear and tear, but the cost of renewing suspension components can add up.

As for the W203, I had one for 9 years and it was a great car.

I think that at that sort of mileage you want to check the suspension carefully, certainly the dampers but also springs (broken springs are common) and other components e.g. bushes, drop links, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc.

Nothing to worry about, it's all normal wear and tear, but the cost of renewing suspension components can add up.
Thanks for your both replies markjay, he has reduced the price on the e class from 2150, then I saw it reduced to £1700 this morning, was hoping on £1500 but he wont budge from £1600, I can do all the work myself so that saves cost but its that expensive to fix braking system on the E class that is putting me off but in its favour, its the car I wanted, is a better colour in my opinion in dark grey v navy blue of the C class, and the trouble of living in Aberdeenshire everything is miles away so after travelling so long as nothing really off putting and the price is ok would probably pull the trigger and but whatever one I viewed.

:) :)
I hope my posts dont seem like I want a top end car for pennys but even buying cheap you can still buy clever. When Im going to view a 15 year old car, I am realistic I expect supermarket dings, a few scarpes when you thought you could make that gap but was wrong and to replace brakes springs or ball joints etc, but the amount of complete idiots who have been to view my volvo and are so fussy its starting to wind me up, its the cheapest 6 speed 185 bhp manual v70 and in really great nick, and I have just a fresh mot on it so its ready to go, and only getting rid as my Mrs needs an auto now due to arthritus of the spine.

Think I need to go and chill :) , the more people I meet, the more I realise why I like animals lol

Update time, I have narrowed it down to a choice of two, one is a 2006 c220 cdi sport estate, 145000 for £1500 from a dealer in London, the other a 2005 E270 estate 155000 miles for £1600 both leather interior and a good mot history. I'm leaning towards the C class due to the sometimes dodgy brakes on the e class plus the e class has an abs light on, the dealer says its just a sensor 40 quid on Ebay, so from my thread I wanted an e class, so anyone who has had experience with the abs light is it a sign of doom for the braking system or usually an easy sensor swap fix. I will be buying the I car soft mb2 code reader once I buy the car so should be able to clear codes etc.

Your collective thoughts and input sought please you lovely peeps
I’d go for the C-Class - cheaper to run and own plus no engine management lights on.

Also, re the E-Class, you want to make sure that it does not have SBC brakes........

These might help:

And this one:

(Even though I believe they are talking about US cars)

I’d go for the C-Class - cheaper to run and own plus no engine management lights on.
Its an ABS light thats on, but reading up on the expensive braking system it sort of puts me off, but heart says E class wallet and brain agrees and says e class, got to shift this Volvo first, then will probably find the one I made up my mind I wanted is sold.
We are having the same luck trying to find a new home, the last one we found had been on the market for a year, as soon as we noted an interest it sold that morning, dam typical

As cash is tight at the moment like a lot of us, the £20 code reader from Euro Car Parts would that be a good idea to buy just to run a check before handing over the hard earned?

I will buy the Icarsoft MBII once the car is bought for future code sorting

These might help:

And this one:

(Even though I believe they are talking about US cars)
Thanks for that markjay, will go click the links and have a read

if it was that cheap and easy, the dealer would have done it...
Yes agree, but after reading the links markjay kindly posted the Sensotronic braking system scares the life out of me, so 99% sure I will go for the C class C220 Sport estate now, you watch it sell while I'm trying to offload my Swedish sensation :)

Swedish sensation!? I wondered who she was. I've scrolled back to find out 😁 I agree with the others, I wouldn't buy the car with a warning light on. Not a very good start to your life together.
My second c class was a 250d sport. It was on 17" wheels as standard so not an uncomfortable/hard ride as 'sport' might suggest. I should have kept that one.
Good luck

As cash is tight at the moment like a lot of us, the £20 code reader from Euro Car Parts would that be a good idea to buy just to run a check before handing over the hard earned?

No, pretty much wouldn't talk to many modules as as transmission and brakes so a bit of a waste, you really need a specific scanner that will know all the modules and talk to them.

Swedish sensation!? I wondered who she was. I've scrolled back to find out 😁 I agree with the others, I wouldn't buy the car with a warning light on. Not a very good start to your life together.
My second c class was a 250d sport. It was on 17" wheels as standard so not an uncomfortable/hard ride as 'sport' might suggest. I should have kept that one.
Good luck
Well as I guessed the c class has sold, just my luck, think I will swerve the e class as its an 05 it would have the dodgy sbs or whatever they are called brakes and the warning light could be a sign of trouble ahead. I Have found a 2007 e class with 205,000 Miles on so my thinking is I would rather the newer more high miles e class car to the lower miles 05 car

No, pretty much wouldn't talk to many modules as as transmission and brakes so a bit of a waste, you really need a specific scanner that will know all the modules and talk to them.
Thanks pmcgsmurf will just try and get an icarsoft mb2 then as heard good things of them

I seen a lowish spec. W211 E220 down our way last week with a years MOT for £950, looked quite clean for its age, was on that chewing gum sales site. ;)

T
I seen a lowish spec. W211 E220 down our way last week with a years MOT for £950, looked quite clean for its age, was on that chewing gum sales site. ;)
Will have a look cheers for that, everything I seem to find is always miles away, you can bet as soon as I buy one from miles away, one will pop up in Aberdeenshire 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom