• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Best place to buy parts in/near London?

Wasabi

Car
W163 in white
Hello gentlemen,

Just a quick background on myself and my Benz. It was my father-in-law's car he purchased from Germany quite a while back. He drove it all the way back here and then shipped it to Philippines (our home country) where it has stayed more than two decades I think.

He has now passed it down to me and I am in need of a few parts for our beloved 190E 2.3 lhd. It has not been running for a few years now and mechanic says it's going to need:

Fuel distributer assembly
Electric fuel pump
Fuel accumulater

Fuel filter
1 set spark plug wire cable

Last two are easy enough to get. Seeing as I'm not familiar with older Benz retailers nor 'Indies' (just found out what this means :) ) would anyone in or near london know where the best place to get these?

I will be taking these with me back home when my family go for a much needed holiday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ian

Your problem is going to be that the 2.3 litre version of the 190E was never imported to the UK so this may make acquiring the Fuel distributor assembly, Electric fuel pump and Fuel accumulator second hand a problem. I do not know if any of these components are common to both the 2.3 and 2.0 versions of the 190 [W201]or not. If they are you have no problem since there should be a ready supply of second hand parts. If the 2.3 litre engine has different parts then you could still locate the parts second hand since this engine is fitted to the larger UK [W124] E class saloons. There is a further complication in that the injection system changed from the Jetronic K(mechanical) to the Jetronic KE (part electrical) 1/2 way thro the 190 production run so the car's production date would be usefull. I think what I would do first is to get the chassis no (VIN NO) of your father in law's old car back home and pay a visit to a friendly Mercedes parts department in the UK to get the exact numbers of the parts you require. You can enquire at the same time the prices---I predict the fuel distributor will be very expensive from MB so your best bet may be second hand parts. With the good links the Philippines has with the USA you might find some parts are cheaper there? Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
grober-

Thanks. I'll ask my uncle back home to check the vin and then ask an MB parts department. I didn't know MB still stock these?

Would you know any second hand parts place?

Reza-

Cheers for the link. I'll try and register.

grober-

Thanks. I'll ask my uncle back home to check the vin and then ask an MB parts department. I didn't know MB still stock these?

Would you know any second hand parts place?

You may still get some or all these parts from MB- they are quite good at supplying parts for obsolete models. Not sure about the fuel distributor tho.
some links, there are others if you search :-

NickMercedes http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-offers-traders/69871-euromerc-mercedes-benz-parts.html

and Mercland MercLand

Mercman Genuine Mercedes Spare Parts | Mercedes Spares |

I'd expect everything to be readily available at the dealership - at a price .

The fuel pump/filter/ignition leads will be readily available at Eurocarparts or GSF

The accumulator might also be , but certainly from the dealer .

The distributor is probably the same as the 2 litre version of the 190 , but , failing that , one from a 230E (W124) should fit OK .

grober -

Those links are a lot of help! I will be emailing/sending messages to nick, mercland and mercman.

I apologize for not using the search function first (newbie error!).

Derek -

I will try and google/use search function to find details on Eurocarparts or GSF. If I can't find the fuel distributor for the 190E 2.3 then I'll ask for the W124.

I am currently waiting on vin for the car but if I'm not mistaken, this engine is an 8valve.

Off topic: my brother's name is also Derek :)

(...will be back after visiting the links...)

So I was searching through these websites you gentlemen posted for me and I seem to be having difficulty with the terms I was typing in.

The words I posted here were from a text message from the mechanic back in the Philippines and his wording/spelling may be a bit wrong ie. fuel distributer should be 'distributor' (as grober kindly mentioned).

Aside from the term 'distributor' and 'ignition leads' instead of 'spark plug wire set', what other terms should I use for correct searching on the car parts websites?

Btw, it shouldn't really be 'fuel distributor' but just 'distributor' only right?

I'm looking parts for Vito '05 w639 but can't select it on the website.

Drop a hint if I'm looking in a wrong place :-)

These companies don't stock all items but tend to carry fast moving consumables, exhausts, filters, suspension and brakes etc. They may carry the parts you want, or even source them for you at a price. Its best to phone them if the parts aren't listed on the site. Its also worth enquiring at your local MB commercial dealer.

Go to local MB dealership and get the exact part numbers you need, then go onto www.partsreunited.co.uk and type in what you need and you will then get loads of quotes back from MB dealers, some of which will be discounted and at good price.....Also call Euros and GSF as others mentioned....

My in-laws have thrown money at their beloved 190E 8v and is happily using it as a sunday car as it is up and running since feb 2011. Happy ending.

I am now back to try and get some interior trim for my family's w124 260e. Our benz has a dark blue interior and some of the trim on the pillars are peeling off. Looks like the plastic clips underneath have snapped off. We tried having some sort of black sticky adhesive putty to stick it with but they still peel off as the weather in Manila gets so hot, it just melts it off.

We need the interior trim on the pillars on the sides of the windshield, the trim behind the side mirrors and the trim of the pillars at the side of the backglass as well.

Any breakers yard in London who may have these in blue?

ian

Trim colour can be a minefield! I would suggest your in-laws mail the smallest bit of trim they have- the small triangular piece behind the door mirror would be good - to you in the UK. You can use this as a COLOUR guide when buying second hand trim from a breaker. It may be cheaper ??? to buy all the removable interior trim at one time as a "set" rather than in penny numbers. Avoid cars that have sat out with interiors exposed to the weather if possible as they may have been damaged by damp. If the detached trim is due the attachment clips breaking you may be able to still buy replacement trim clips from MB.---- n.B. TRIM [ not clips] tends to be VERY EXPENSIVE for what it is from MB dealers so second hand is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice grober. I am on the lookout for breakers yards and relying on other w124 owners for tips on where they are.

Regarding the trim clips - they have indeed broken off. The MB garage owner has informed me that once they break off, only option is to stick the trim with adhesive to the metal pillar. I am so embarrassed when they peel off while friends are in the car.

On a different note - are there w124 specific threads in this forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom