• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Best way to do 30k pa?

PXW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance; MG ZS EV
As the title really, I'm just about to take a new job that will involve me in much more mileage than before. I have been doing 13-14k pa in the S211, at which rate it's a toss up which of us dies first (it's currently done 86k).

However, with the potential for now doing 30, maybe 35k pa....what's the best way of keeping myself mobile? I think my options might include:

1. Keep the S211, it will handle the miles, and pop down to Olly every 5-6 months to get it serviced. Start to take an interest in the 'highest mileage 211' threads in about three years time.

2. Chop in the 211 as deposit against a 212....will still rack megamiles, but starting from zero rather than 86k.

3. Get a lease on something smaller that will take the hammering (C-class, perhaps a 220CDi, to get a bit of a kicker on the fuel costs) and keep the 211 for when I need something bigger. Means running two cars, but probably 20-25k pa on one and 8-10k on the other?

4. Other possibilities that I haven't thought of?

I should add that there are two other cars already in the PXW household...Mrs PXW's Lexus IS250, which she has already told me isn't going anywhere (I think she'd change me before she changed that :D) and my MGB, which is just a summer toy.

Any views? I'm sure there will be....everyone loves spending someone else's money!!

5. Move house.

Yes, possible, but not for another 4-6 years, due to schooling commitments for PXW junior and certain other commitments I have here in Camberley that I can't shed right now.

With that sort of mileage - 3 priorities.

Comfort, economy, reliability. Not necessarily in that order.

Keep the 211 and make it a challenge to see how many miles you can load it up to !

35k on a lease car will cost a lot more than those 'advertised' prices.

Buying a new e class and on 100k after 3 year it will have lost a packet.

Keep the 211 and even on 180k it will probably be fine and still have some value in it.

For that sort of millage you want comfort. Safety. Good mpg. Low depreciation. The e has all that and you know the car. Motorway miles should be fine for it.

Then when the 212's are on 75K and 10k do the same with that....

If you want something that will do those miles, try and find a W123 300D for sale (good luck!) otherwise I'd say I don't see why your current car wouldn't make those miles even if it means expensive servicing and a couple of parts wearing/failing at closer intervals.

What MPG do you get now and are you happy for that to continue (if so stick with what you know) or do you want better? If so by how much? tht might narrow down choices

Why the miles ? omg
One job i had i did 200 a day in an old van. NEVER again.

Buy a webcam and open a courier account.

Keep the S211.

You know the car inside out, what if you buy another and that lets you down? You'll have already took a big hit on depreciation, so why start again?

Having said that, if your feet start itching for a new car, it can be hard to resist the urge....

Buying a worn out 30 year old car that will struggle to do 30mpg might not be the answer.

But if you've looked into the model, they do do very high mileages often with very little maintenance, and can be run on WVO etc. which is cheap, and the mpg isn't too bad on a well-maintained one, and they are comfortable, and they are durable :dk:

But if you've looked into the model, they do do very high mileages often with very little maintenance, and can be run on WVO etc. which is cheap, and the mpg isn't too bad on a well-maintained one, and they are comfortable, and they are durable :dk:

They plod along, but the 123 durability thing is a bit of a myth, they only love them in the third world because they're easy to repair...

Just drive the W211.

In another three years it will have done 190k miles...so what?

+1 on the above.... rack those miles up on your already reasonably higher mileage w211...

And you've had it a while - better the devil you know and all that... maintain it, and i'm sure it'll be fine.

Keep the E280, make a point of recording all costs for 12 months then see where things are.

The main point is there are no capital costs to stay with your own car.

Fuel consumption is minimal point, even on 35K miles a year, when depretiation and capital outlay are considered.

If you feel the car you currently own is serviceable and reliable enough to see you through 12 months I'd say that's the first option.

My current solution to this is a 2002 Volvo S80 bought on Ebay for £1,200. So far it's done 17,000 miles and cost me an oil change. If I drive carefully I can get up to 35 mpg (its Petrol) which given the difference between petrol and diesel is not too bad.

Having said that I am feeling the lure of 50 mpg at the moment..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom