• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blade Stunner

Bosch for me! Just replaced the wipers on the CR-V ...... The SL ones look fairly new - Interesting that they are an odd size and you need to use MB ones.... I never even considered that.... Hmmm
It's only the R231 SL and they're not an odd size just special magic vision ones that sissy the washer fluid direct from the blades.

So in the rear screen of an e class coupe with no wiper, not as much TFL hitting it, it should help.

Visibility isn't bad (the heater wires help most times) but if I see it on offer when I am out and about I might get some

So in the rear screen of an e class coupe with no wiper, not as much TFL hitting it, it should help.

Visibility isn't bad (the heater wires help most times) but if I see it on offer when I am out and about I might get some
Amazon is your friend

IMG_1223.jpeg

I find Rain X confuses my auto wiper and they end up going flat out regardless of conditions!....great on visors though.
I generally use Bosch wipers....but have used other branded blades. I find that whatever I use they need to be replaced annually if I want to avoid streaks....a combination of living by the sea and my cars living outside I guess.

Amazon delivered so I'll put it on the back window (only) this weekend as apparently it's going to stop raining then!.

Might do the pano roof glass as well actually ...

Well...yes and no!
It does work really well on unwiped surfaces in daylight. As reported, water beads off very quickly if there is airflow.
However, at night when oil or road grease is mixed with it, it can tend to smear and give rainbow effects on wiped screens.
It does have the effect of keeping visors from misting up on the inside and water beading off the outside, but that's not quite the same environment as a car windscreen with wipers.
Depends very much on the application and...err...it's application....
I must admit I've always kept RainX off the windscreen for that very reason. Side glass, rear screen, mirrors - yes. Windscreen - no.

For any glass that doesn't have a wiper on I've just used car wax whenever I've cleaned the car.

This is the best rain repellent I’ve ever used. Lasts for months and is non greasy without the rainbow effects of Rain X.

Attachments

• IMG_7896.png
    IMG_7896.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
My Bosch Aerotwin wipers have been a bit ropey since I got the car (probably been on years) so spurred on by this thread I purchased another set. Fitted them yesterday, job done. But I did notice that the PO had fitted the driver's side wiper "upside down". Didn't think anything else of it.

Went to clear the screen this morning and there's a good two inch gap where the driver's side wiper doesn't touch the screen. Thought maybe it was the blade but if I swap them round the problem is still on the driver's side so it's not the wiper blade.

Fitting is this type
Screenshot_20230922-102948.png

Clearly a "top" and "bottom" as the aero foil bit sits at the top, towards the top of the screen and access to the clip stands above the wiper arm.
IMG_20230922_102630982.jpg

There's even a little nub on one side of the wiper that fits in a little recess on the wiper arm.
IMG_20230922_102640997.jpg

BUT... if I fit the wiper incorrectly (upside down, foil towards the bottom of the screen, access clip hidden inside the wiper arm, nub not seated in anything) then I get a more or less flush fit between blade and glass.

AARGGGHH! What's going on? They're wiper blades!!!

According to the Bosch website the spoiler should face forward...so be on the lower edge...but I'm not sure if they mean the bigger plastic ones....which of course always should be in the leading edge to give downforce.....rather than the molded in ones.

I think they do mean the larger ones. The fitment is pretty inaccessible if you spin the blade round and have the molded ridge/spoiler on the lower edge.

Anyhoo, picked up some MB ones and took the Bosch ones back. The MB ones also sit off the screen. Then I realised this bit...
Screenshot_20230922-102948.png
...had corroded compared to the passenger side. It's aluminium or something so it's misshapen and not allowing enough pivot as the wiper moves. I've put some grease on it but if that doesn't work I'll have to give it a little file.

Possibly as the PO had fitted the previous wiper incorrectly it's been a little too exposed to the elements. Who knows?

Although the standard Bosch wipers on the Macan were in reasonably good condition, I was encouraged by the performance increase in the BMW i3 that I took my own advice.
New Aerotwins on the Porsche have fitted perfectly using the supplied adapters and the performance improved to brilliant. If spending £22 on something that has become unnoticeable, but simply gives a great clear view is perceived as good value, I will leave you to judge.

Just fitted a pair to the CLK as they were on offer - big improvement on the old ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom