• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blast from the past!

That takes me back to the early 1970's - A friend and I used to walk along the A23 near Gatwick airport. We would pick up as many bottles as we could carry, then take them to a local shop to get the bottle deposit refunds. It never made me into a millionaire, but it did give me some pocket money.

That takes me back to the early 1970's - A friend and I used to walk along the A23 near Gatwick airport. We would pick up as many bottles as we could carry, then take them to a local shop to get the bottle deposit refunds. It never made me into a millionaire, but it did give me some pocket money.
I remember them being more like 5p each.

We used to collect them until we had enough for a free big bottle of Corona....or whatever........then drink it in the woods on one of our big adventures!!! Good times!!

3d when I was a kid.
I remember my brother and myself getting up early and collecting any bottles along the front in Helensburgh.
Bought us pop and sweets for the day👍🏻👍🏻

Interestingly, it is still done on the continent. Slightly differently, you take empties back to the supermarket, scan them through into a collection bin and the money is refunded off your purchases..

Those ‘bobbles’ on the glass…. Is it a Corona bottle?

actually a couple of years ago I found some bottles in the crawl space under the house.
Previous owners must have been home brewers, but there was also a couple of 1970s Pepsi bottles I sold on eBay for £12 each :cool:

10p a bottle. Ben Shaws soft drinks. Yorkshire. As late as 1990s

I used to buy bottles for 10p and use them fir homebrew. Still have a couple of dozen of them.

:cool:

Dad used to have loads of the old lucozade bottles with the black hard plastic screw in tops for his home brew. The rubber collar could be replaced…. The smell of the brewing 🤢

Bizarrely, today, about a metre down, I found part of one of those round fatball bird feeders! How the hell that got there, goodness knows!🤔

Bizarrely, today, about a metre down, I found part of one of those round fatball bird feeders! How the hell that got there, goodness knows!🤔
Mate of mine bought a new build some years ago.
The back garden was completely un-finished so he set to digging it over for turf and planting: several dozen broken bricks later he hit something large and very solid.
After some serious excavation he managed to unearth............a complete cement mixer with a full load of mortar set solid in the drum.

Interestingly, it is still done on the continent. Slightly differently, you take empties back to the supermarket, scan them through into a collection bin and the money is refunded off your purchases..
Yep, I remember in Germany (Hamburg) they did the bottle deposit thing. Local homeless were walking about collecting bottles and taking them to local supermarket m (Lidl/Aldi) IIRC.

Kills two birds I guess - less litter and encourages recycling/re-use :cool:

I can see your problem, you can't get a Halfpenny these days.....

But keep digging, if you find another bottle, you can get 5p for the pair.

Problem solved :D

Taken by a rat perhaps?

And in the USA. About 10 states in all: essentially New England, NY, California and a few other odd balls like Hawaii.

Return rate varies depending on the affluence of the State. In NY & California about 50%, in Maine and Vermont: closer to 80%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom