• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Both front tyres worn on the outside?

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hello,
My front tyres look like they are both equally worned on both outside? Kwickfit told me its because of the steering power? Would that be true?
Or could it be a pressure issue?
Cheers.
Olivier

Are they much worn down compared to the rest of the tyre?
They will wear a little more than the middle, but not too much

Mine do the same, now on my 3rd set in a year.

I'm experimenting with 2psi increase in pressure to try and bring the wera to the centre of the tread but I'm not expecting much to be honest.

If you use the correct pressures (as on the fuel flap) and put the car through a professional alignment check & adjustment, your tyre wear should be more or less even. You can find a good alignment shop here:

www.AlignMyCar.co.uk

Tyres at the front at 32 psi.
Got the four wheel alignment done when they did the perch few month ago.
Like all the above, it seems to be "normal".
They are not that bad but there is a slight difference. I might put them at the back after summer, I think the back are wearing evenly :)
Cheers.
Olivier

If you use the correct pressures (as on the fuel flap) and put the car through a professional alignment check & adjustment, your tyre wear should be more or less even. You can find a good alignment shop here:

www.AlignMyCar.co.uk

Not true I'm afraid, my tyre pressures are always correct & wheel alignment spot on. Fronts wear at the edges & that cannot be stopped.

Russ

Mine do the same, now on my 3rd set in a year.

I'm experimenting with 2psi increase in pressure to try and bring the wera to the centre of the tread but I'm not expecting much to be honest.

third set in a year :eek:
What do you have?

the fronts, on that generation of car will normally wear on both edges, and should be swaped front to rear every 5000 miles.

The rears wear middle.

There will be something wrong if wear is just on outside.

Something is causing the front wheels to toe-in too much.

It may be bad adjustment OR wear in the control arm bushes etc.

You need to get the all the bushes checked out first with no load on them.

If all OK then get it tracked again by someone else that has a good reputation.

must agree with david here, so many people just don't believe it, but MB tyres wear on the edges at the front and down the middle at the rear. so many times i am told that 'the fronts must have been under inflated and the rears over inflated..' - utter rubbish i am afraid. if front tyre wear is worse on one edge than the other it will usually be a toe issue - whether out of adjustment or worn parts. swapping tyres front to rear is vital for getting the full life from them, and a good reason for not having smaller fronts than rears!!

You should always have the better tyres on the rear; so putting part worns from the front is not the best way to go. As an alternative I would suggest buying new tyres in pairs; put the new ones on the back and move the part worns to the front.

I had this problem & had 4 wheel alignment undertaken by a reputable company...still did not sort my problem.....took it to Wheels in Motion in Chesham and they adjusted it correctly and now all is ok...even tyre wear on all tyres now......They are the best for alignment and, luckily, they are only 8 miles from me!

I think I'll stick on moving the tyres back and forth as the wear is even on both side of the wheels on both tyres.
Thank you all.
Good to know.
Olivier

KF are talking out of their one eye trouser dot..... Power Steering doesn't exert any energy to the tyre unless the car is stationary. Power steer assist's you not the tyres, to them it doesn't matter if it's power or not.

The only reason for outside wear is....
1: Incorrect chassis calibration
2: Visible but not significant outer wear on the NSF tyre due to it's turning radii left compared to the OSF's turning radii right.

I read on here that some of the manuals advocate moving front tyres to the back after about 5000 miles to reduce this, it is characteristic of the setup of the car and mine does it too.

I read on here that some of the manuals advocate moving front tyres to the back after about 5000 miles to reduce this, it is characteristic of the setup of the car and mine does it too.

If you do a lot of m/way miles it does not do it, usually worst in cars that spend a lot of time in the city turning corners, in my opinion.

Russ

Argumentative topic unfortunately. Some would say....
1: The drive wheels will wear faster than the steer thus enable oversteer.
2: Moving the tyres allows more uniform wear belaying oversteer.
3: Changing the tyres at the German limit of 3mm degrades the need to move tyres.
4: Rotating the front tyres on the rim will encourage more life.

Personally i'm not a great believer of moving tyres, reason being after a few k they adopt a profile that fits the weight distribution so moving them after this can open a whole can-O-worms.

^ I agree. The last time I knew this being done was in the early 70s on a Datsun my father owned. Never done it myself.

On both our Audi (FWD) and Vito (RWD) the front tyres wear at the outside edge ... particularly the nearside one. Largely down to roundabouts, I think.

I swapped the Audi wheels front to back last weekend.

On both our Audi (FWD) and Vito (RWD) the front tyres wear at the outside edge ... particularly the nearside one. Largely down to roundabouts, I think.

I swapped the Audi wheels front to back last weekend.

Obviously cant comment on the Audi (no series displayed) but the Vito historically has a chassis issue, namely the low front castor position and the steering pivotal axis. This allows exceptional steering angle like an LDV but rotates directly over the pivotal point as the camber migrates toward positive.

A camber change as small as 30' on the NSF would stop the wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom